Painting Chainsaw Bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On small saws I used for carpentry type work I'd paint stripes on the bar parallel to the bottom of the bar, measured up from the chain teeth. A stripe to cut a 1" deep notch, then a different color for 2" deep, etc. I'd use a double action sander with like 80 grit to scuff up the paint on the bar, then mask it off and use rattle-can paint for the colors

What I do is, I take a paint marker and mark a vertical stripe on the bar where the dimension correlates to the length of cut required to buck rounds to be at split length. All I ever do. Makes making uniform cuts easy for my old tired eyes.

I believe it has something to do with the 'woke' thing. Terrible execution and aesthetically fugly as well. I don't replace bars as a rule. One, I keep the rails deburred if necessary using a bastard cut mill file and two, if the 'rock' in the bar is getting visually flat, they get re-radiused on my large diameter flat plate abrasive machine I use for chamfering products we machine for customers here in the shop. I don't believe I've ever replaced a bar.

Latest posts

Back