Pickup dump insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody use one of these pickup dump inserts, or has seen one?

attachment.php

Here's a link to there website: http://www.ez-dumper.com/prodDetail.asp?id=1

I noticed them in the latest Northern Tool catalogue I got in the mail.

Kevin

The only downside to them is you need to have 1-ton springs in the rear and you lose some of the hauling ability for the truck factoring in how much the dump bed weights. Other than that they are great.

Exactly

Never thought about that, How heavy is it, It might take away the capacity to haul a large load.

Weight is 900 lb. Cost $2500. I use a 14' gooseneck dumper. Can haul and dump up to 2 full cord. Can be removed in less than 1 minute and I have my truck bed back.

According to the website link I posted, the 8' insert is 800 lbs. empty with a GVWR of 6000 lbs (5200 lbs payload). The 6' insert is 700 lbs. empty with a GVWR of 6000 lbs (5300 lbs payload). Northern Tool wants $2499.99 for the 8' insert.

Kevin

Also, as also in dump trailers, hand loading bigger rounds would not be easy. I know that some dump trailers have removable ramps, but unless they are fairly long, the ramp angle might be fairly steep. A fella would need a loader of some sort. Now hand loading split wood would be easy by tossing the pieces over the side.

Kevin

Also, as also in dump trailers, hand loading bigger rounds would not be easy. I know that some dump trailers have removable ramps, but unless they are fairly long, the ramp angle might be fairly steep. A fella would need a loader of some sort. Now hand loading split wood would be easy by tossing the pieces over the side.

Kevin
You got that right, Them big rounds are hard enough to load without having to lift them another foot or so. You would probably need to mount a winch to pull them up a steep ramp.

there is another option .. I have seen these kits and if you do a search for 'dump bed conversion' you will find links to various companies.. but heres the one on northern hyd. site

http://www.northernhydraulics.net/ws/aboutus3.php?page_id=3638&gclid=CPHUl9GBwJQCFQH0IgodrnQAUQ

turn your stock bed into a dump bed... I know alot of times i thought this would be a neat thing to have.. but I have a dump trailer now... oh well.

Northern Tool has those kits (not sure if they're the exact ones) for $1199.99

I wonder how a truck would look with the box down with one of these kits. I myself like a 'clean' fit and finsh look.

Kevin

for $5000 I would go for a dump trailer... can haul much much more than a PU bed.. and you suppose load it too for those long hauls ... to maximize fuel costs

I think that ultimaly I would be after a dump trailer before an insert. I can pull 10,000lbs with my expedition and make the family come along for the ride and help keep warm in the winter.

for $5000 I would go for a dump trailer... can haul much much more than a PU bed.. and you suppose load it too for those long hauls ... to maximize fuel costs

Yep. For it to be worth while for me, I would need to be able to haul at least a full cord of split, hand tossed, firewood. I would only get a dump trailer if I was to make a serious go at selling firewood. Right now it's selling a cord or 2 if I have leftover firewood that I don't have space to stack it. I also would need more truck than what I have now.

Kevin

I bought a used one and put it on my 95 Chev 3/4 ton gasser truck. $800 a little rusty but good enough for me. It's only 2" higher bed than my truck. In and out in about 15 minutes if I want to. i can also put it on my flatbed trailer and have a dump trailer. Some of you guys than buy dedicated dump trailers should look at them first. Especially if you have use for a flatbed trailer or already have one.

I bought a used one and put it on my 95 Chev 3/4 ton gasser truck. $800 a little rusty but good enough for me. It's only 2" higher bed than my truck. In and out in about 15 minutes if I want to. i can also put it on my flatbed trailer and have a dump trailer. Some of you guys than buy dedicated dump trailers should look at them first. Especially if you have use for a flatbed trailer or already have one.

Got any pics of it on your truck and trailer?

Kevin

I only have 1 pic of that truck and none of my trailers but they will fit in any 5x8 trailers. I use booster cables to reach my trailer to dump it.
http://www.************/showthread.php?t=225787

Here's some pics of my other truck. It started out as a slide in insert then I cut it apart and made a bigger flat bed. Used all the hydraulics and ram.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=71538

If my truck wasn't a flatbed dump I would have an insert. I won;t have another truck for work that doesn't dump. A dump will spoil you real quick. I have three dump trailers. They work great. We were cutting wood today and filled all three. I had someoe splitting for me. I would drop a trailer by the splitter and go fill another. Drop that and go fill another. I didn;t have to handle the wood to much like this. We got 12ranks (4 cord) cut and split today. I'll try to remember to take some pics tomorrow to take a couple pics. Hoping to get another 10-12 ranks tomorrow. That will give us 45 ranks(15cord) in the last 10 days. Would of had more but it rained 2 days and we couldn't get in to the wood. Anyone who has a chance should buy either an insert or a dump trailer. It is one of the best investments I have made. Not just for wood but for hauling almost anyting.

Scot

Latest posts

Back