Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear you are making some headway on the 1200, guess that previous saw mechanic overlooked the reassembly of the lines. LOL. The later 1100 and 1200 had the chromed mufflers on them factory.The early versions had the stack diffuser. If you find you need a few parts I could most likely scare some up and its good to hear you are underway on the repairs.
Pioneerguy600

So, this one has the early style fuel line with that thing in the tank and the later style muffler..It would be interesting to know if it came from the factory that way or if somebody didn't like the loud exhaust. This saw is almost identical to the last saw I had apart, the Homelite XL12, actually that's good, it's a pretty good design as far as working on it is concerned. I had to take the side off it just like the Homie and inside was about the same except for routing of fuel line which is how I intend to route this one. I may need to locate a clutch for this one, although the outer part with the sprocket is fine the inner part appears to be broken but I'll try to get the fuel lines in for now while I have it this far apart. I really don't want to take the fuel tank apart, but would love to get that old filter out of it. Do you know of any way I can get the old filter out through the gas fill hole?

So, this one has the early style fuel line with that thing in the tank and the later style muffler..It would be interesting to know if it came from the factory that way or if somebody didn't like the loud exhaust. This saw is almost identical to the last saw I had apart, the Homelite XL12, actually that's good, it's a pretty good design as far as working on it is concerned. I had to take the side off it just like the Homie and inside was about the same except for routing of fuel line which is how I intend to route this one. I may need to locate a clutch for this one, although the outer part with the sprocket is fine the inner part appears to be broken but I'll try to get the fuel lines in for now while I have it this far apart. I really don't want to take the fuel tank apart, but would love to get that old filter out of it. Do you know of any way I can get the old filter out through the gas fill hole?

The XL12 has been rumored for many years to be a Pioneer design, the engineers at Pioneer worked with many companies doing R&D , they were farmed out as we say. Danarm, PM of Vancouver, IEL and Pioneer saws all share a lot of similar design components. It also has been more than a rumor that the Pioneer Engineers helped with the design of the Contra for Stihl. If you were to look at the saw Stihl was selling in Europe before the Contra, it was a BLK. then look at a Contra and a IEL RA or Pioneer 600 you can see the similarities.
That old wick filter is held in by all the machine screws that go through the cases, the tank has to be separated to get it out. If you were to rip it out there would still be pieces in there until the cows come home from jumping over the moon. LOL Most likely that muffler was switched over from another saw if your saw has the felt wick in the fuel tank, that is the early model, the chromed muffler came on the later model that had a more modern line and filter/pickup in the fuel tank.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
a.palmer jr

Check out the media link in my signature for Pioneer IPl's.
Lawrence

The XL12 has been rumored for many years to be a Pioneer design, the engineers at Pioneer worked with many companies doing R&D , they were farmed out as we say. Danarm, PM of Vancouver, IEL and Pioneer saws all share a lot of similar design components. It also has been more than a rumor that the Pioneer Engineers helped with the design of the Contra for Stihl. If you were to look at the saw Stihl was selling in Europe before the Contra, it was a BLK. then look at a Contra and a IEL RA or Pioneer 600 you can see the similarities.
That old wick filter is held in by all the machine screws that go through the cases, the tank has to be separated to get it out. If you were to rip it out there would still be pieces in there until the cows come home from jumping over the moon. LOL Most likely that muffler was switched over from another saw if your saw has the felt wick in the fuel tank, that is the early model, the chromed muffler came on the later model that had a more modern line and filter/pickup in the fuel tank.
Pioneerguy600

I've called some of the places around here and nobody has a clutch for the 1200. Could you see if you can scare one up for me? I really don't need the sprocket part just the part with the shoes. I have the fuel line put in the upper side of the tank, kinda hidden behind the plate and doesn't look too out of place. I put a plug in where the original gas line was. Would it be a good idea to try to fire it up without a clutch on it? Kinda anxious to see if it'll run..

Pioneerguy600

Is the 1100 series the Holiday 2 series. I had one and traded it off and now I wish I would have kept that Holiday saw. Yes, it looks identical to a XL12

Is the 1100 series the Holiday 2 series. I had one and traded it off and now I wish I would have kept that Holiday saw. Yes, it looks identical to a XL12

There were 3 colors of 1100`s as far as I know, the white with red trim ones were called Holliday like this one, the Holiday II was based on the 1072 and 970.

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

Pioneerguy600

I've called some of the places around here and nobody has a clutch for the 1200. Could you see if you can scare one up for me? I really don't need the sprocket part just the part with the shoes. I have the fuel line put in the upper side of the tank, kinda hidden behind the plate and doesn't look too out of place. I put a plug in where the original gas line was. Would it be a good idea to try to fire it up without a clutch on it? Kinda anxious to see if it'll run..

I will have a look through the spare parts boxes and see what I can find. You can go ahead and fire it up, leave the clutch off so that it does not spin itself off when the engine de accelerates.
Pioneerguy600

I will have a look through the spare parts boxes and see what I can find. You can go ahead and fire it up, leave the clutch off so that it does not spin itself off when the engine de accelerates.
Pioneerguy600

I'll go out and gas it up and see if she keeps running. It ran a little before with fuel in carb but never had any fuel in tank since I've had it. I have not rebuilt carb yet so it still may not run long.

Well, the old Pioneer ran for a short while and quit..I put some gas in carb and it ran until it used it up and quit. I took the top off the carb just to check and it was as clean as could be but of course you can't go by that. I adjusted the carb back to basic and tried again with no luck. I think I got the new fuel line in ok but I think I'm gonna have to dip the carb and kit it. I may take it apart tomorrow if wife doesn't have me doing something else. Jerry, you were right about it being loud, even with muffler it's about as loud as my XL12 is with the stack. I figured it would be quieter with muffler but I haven't seen inside that muffler either, probably not much inside it.
I don't think that clutch would ever spin itself off..it's the only one I've ever seen that is on a splined shaft, like a car axle.

I'll go out and gas it up and see if she keeps running. It ran a little before with fuel in carb but never had any fuel in tank since I've had it. I have not rebuilt carb yet so it still may not run long.

Maybe the carb will work without a rebuild but many I come across from that period need kits. Keep us posted.
Pioneerguy600

Well, the old Pioneer ran for a short while and quit..I put some gas in carb and it ran until it used it up and quit. I took the top off the carb just to check and it was as clean as could be but of course you can't go by that. I adjusted the carb back to basic and tried again with no luck. I think I got the new fuel line in ok but I think I'm gonna have to dip the carb and kit it. I may take it apart tomorrow if wife doesn't have me doing something else. Jerry, you were right about it being loud, even with muffler it's about as loud as my XL12 is with the stack. I figured it would be quieter with muffler but I haven't seen inside that muffler either, probably not much inside it.
I don't think that clutch would ever spin itself off..it's the only one I've ever seen that is on a splined shaft, like a car axle.

Yes you are right, that clutch is on a splined shaft, it becomes real common for me to warn about clutches coming off, a lot of the threaded on ones will and most times I warn against doing so without thinking about specific models. The muffler is most likely just a hollow shell but I have not seen it, it might have come off another more modern saw that has a baffle.
Pioneerguy600

I am not trying to "upsell" my site, but check out this old Pioneer NU-17. It even has a video of him using it. It is a nice looking and running saw for an oldie!

Todd

I am not trying to "upsell" my site, but check out this old Pioneer NU-17. It even has a video of him using it. It is a nice looking and running saw for an oldie!

Todd

The NU17`s are neat old saws, I have a few in my collection of Pioneers. That one would make an easily restorable saw, it looks like its all there and in good shape.
Pioneerguy600

Yes you are right, that clutch is on a splined shaft, it becomes real common for me to warn about clutches coming off, a lot of the threaded on ones will and most times I warn against doing so without thinking about specific models. The muffler is most likely just a hollow shell but I have not seen it, it might have come off another more modern saw that has a baffle.
Pioneerguy600

I tried again to start the saw but it didn't run, other than the prime so I took carburetor out of it, disassembled it and gave it a couple of 15 minute dips in carb cleaner, rinsed with hot water and blew out with compressed air. I went ahead and put the carb back together without the kit because I didn't have one handy and the gaskets in it looked like they hadn't been in it long, they were nice and soft, not brittle. I pulled the rope a few times and it fired off and ran for quite a while this time. I tried to adjust carb while I had it running but don't think I got it too close. I started with L set at 1 and 1/2 turns and H set at 1 and 1/4 turns. I doubt that was right but it did run but I never did get it so it would idle down without dieing. But at least maybe I'm going in the right direction with this. When I get done I may add a little paint but I probably won't spend the time it takes to make it like new. I went around to several shops again today looking for parts saws and didn't find even one. I'm not sure where all the Pioneer stuff went. There's a hardware store in town that used to sell Pioneer many years ago...I think I'll call him and see if he has any parts left over, but he quit selling them many years ago so it's probably doubtful he'll have anything. Tomorrow I'll try to finalize the carb adjustments and see if I can get this running more consistently. It's not a quiet running saw, I believe the muffler is hollow.

Last edited:
clutch

I also have a question about a Pioneer clutch. I was wondering if the clutch shoes for the 1200 is the same as for the 1120. The part number for the 1200 shoe is 427736 but I can't find an IPL for the 1120. Thanks
Ok, just got my question answered..they're the same. Thanks petesoldsaw!

Last edited:
Dropped P51

I'm sure Jerry has one!I have one but it's not running.For specs check out Mike Acres website.You can also go to the link in my signature
Lawrence

I'm sure Jerry has one!I have one but it's not running.For specs check out Mike Acres website.You can also go to the link in my signature
Lawrence
'Thanks I can get one that has been powering a go cart? lol,Has no bar/chain/ glass fuel bowl,I dont think they are very common over here.I dont need it,But deep down inside i think i must have it

Back