Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried again to start the saw but it didn't run, other than the prime so I took carburetor out of it, disassembled it and gave it a couple of 15 minute dips in carb cleaner, rinsed with hot water and blew out with compressed air. I went ahead and put the carb back together without the kit because I didn't have one handy and the gaskets in it looked like they hadn't been in it long, they were nice and soft, not brittle. I pulled the rope a few times and it fired off and ran for quite a while this time. I tried to adjust carb while I had it running but don't think I got it too close. I started with L set at 1 and 1/2 turns and H set at 1 and 1/4 turns. I doubt that was right but it did run but I never did get it so it would idle down without dieing. But at least maybe I'm going in the right direction with this. When I get done I may add a little paint but I probably won't spend the time it takes to make it like new. I went around to several shops again today looking for parts saws and didn't find even one. I'm not sure where all the Pioneer stuff went. There's a hardware store in town that used to sell Pioneer many years ago...I think I'll call him and see if he has any parts left over, but he quit selling them many years ago so it's probably doubtful he'll have anything. Tomorrow I'll try to finalize the carb adjustments and see if I can get this running more consistently. It's not a quiet running saw, I believe the muffler is hollow.

What parts do you need? Did you miss it when I mentioned that I had a 1200 parts saw?

I dont know whats on this, I never really looked at it. All he has to do is ask though and I would find out.

Mark, I guess I did miss it. I remember you saying something to me about having a Homelite muffler but it must have escaped me about you having a Pioneer saw. The Pioneer takes an oddball (to me) kind of clutch in that the shaft is splined on mine kinda like a car axle on the end. Jerry's been PM ing me about trying to find one and I've looked around here. I found one shoe on Chainsawr so I ordered it. I had one reasonably good shoe on mine and one that was really shot. It's a 2 shoe setup. I'm hoping the one shoe will repair mine. I am glad to hear that you have a Pioneer parts saw, there's none around here that I can find. I'll get the saw out again tomorrow take a pic of it for Jerry and then I'll wait for that shoe to get here. If that fixes the clutch I may not need anything else other than carb kit and I can take care of that. Thanks!

Hey you Pioneer nuts. I know i haven't been doing much
with the ole Pioneer's lately but i picked up this nice P52.
Been looking for one for awhile and found this one on ebay.
She's a great runner.

Lee

PioneerP52001.jpg

PioneerP52002.jpg

PioneerP52003.jpg

Nice looking saw Lee! I seen it on the bay a couple weeks ago. Kinda figured you would end up with it. :)

I have been trying to find him a set of clutch shoes Mark, the 1200 used a two shoe clutch on some models/years. If you have a good set then you are closer than I am.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, Here's a pic or two of the Pioneer I've been working on. The color isn't exactly correct but is yellow and green.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Like I said before, not perfect but better than before..
Excuse the poor photography, the sun was really bright today and I was kinda in a hurry when I took the pics. I could have toned them down a little

Last edited:
Jerry, Here's a pic or two of the Pioneer I've been working on. The color isn't exactly correct but is yellow and green.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Like I said before, not perfect but better than before..
Excuse the poor photography, the sun was really bright today and I was kinda in a hurry when I took the pics. I could have toned them down a little

That is a nice looking old Pioneer even if the color is not exact they look much better painted up than with most of the paint missing. Good job.
Pioneerguy600

That is a nice looking old Pioneer even if the color is not exact they look much better painted up than with most of the paint missing. Good job.
Pioneerguy600

One thing I like about this saw, you may have missed it, it has one green tooth on the chain. That really helps when sharpening it. I usually have to use a magic marker on one of the teeth to tell where I started.
I went back into the software of my camera trying to reduce the glare on the chainsaw so it would be easier to see the detail, but didn't have any luck. I guess I should have chose a not-so-sunny day to take pics.

Last edited:
One thing I like about this saw, you may have missed it, it has one green tooth on the chain. That really helps when sharpening it. I usually have to use a magic marker on one of the teeth to tell where I started.
I went back into the software of my camera trying to reduce the glare on the chainsaw so it would be easier to see the detail, but didn't have any luck. I guess I should have chose a not-so-sunny day to take pics.

That colored tie strap and preset are where that chain has been joined, it may have come off a reel of chain or it might have just been a chain that was shortened, the Stihl tiestraps are a green to yellow/green color.
Pioneerguy600

That colored tie strap and preset are where that chain has been joined, it may have come off a reel of chain or it might have just been a chain that was shortened, the Stihl tiestraps are a green to yellow/green color.
Pioneerguy600
Sure makes it nice when sharpening..this is the first chain I've ever had that had that on it. The chain looks like a new one. I've had several saws like this..a saw that won't run and looks terrible but has a brand new bar and chain on it. Most of these saws, like the Pioneer, I've bought for much less than the bar and chain would cost.

Sure makes it nice when sharpening..this is the first chain I've ever had that had that on it. The chain looks like a new one. I've had several saws like this..a saw that won't run and looks terrible but has a brand new bar and chain on it. Most of these saws, like the Pioneer, I've bought for much less than the bar and chain would cost.

I know what you mean, I get so many saws for free or for next to nothing that have really good bars and chain on them so I just have to go and fix those saws up to run real nice. Just got a near new Pioneer 650 last Friday from a fellow that has told me about this saw for more than 4 years. He would only take the $25. that we had settled on 4 years ago but once I got to see the saw I wanted to give him more for it but he would not hear of it. The bar and chain on it are nearly new and would be worth near $100. to replace it.
Pioneerguy600

A nut or bolt loosened when turned CW (to the right) is a left handed thread. I have never seen a right handed thread on the clutch side of a chainsaw because crankshaft rotation would tend to loosen it. Rut which way did you turn it to loosen (wrench or ratchet handle @ 12 o'clock)? If left I need to make a BIG note.
Lou
Note made: My FarmSaw has a right hand thread.

My 1200 is definitely a right hand thread on the clutch side. Thing is, the clutch sits on splines like a car axle and the nut just keeps it from backing off the shaft. It will probably come loose once in a while unless something like thread locker or a lock washer is used on it.

I know what you mean, I get so many saws for free or for next to nothing that have really good bars and chain on them so I just have to go and fix those saws up to run real nice. Just got a near new Pioneer 650 last Friday from a fellow that has told me about this saw for more than 4 years. He would only take the $25. that we had settled on 4 years ago but once I got to see the saw I wanted to give him more for it but he would not hear of it. The bar and chain on it are nearly new and would be worth near $100. to replace it.
Pioneerguy600

A little update: I took the saw apart again and installed the one good shoe in the clutch. The other one really didn't look that bad. I took extra precautions not to damage that spring, because I imagine they're hard to find also, but maybe one could be made. I haven't started the saw yet but it looks like the clutch would work adequately.

A little update: I took the saw apart again and installed the one good shoe in the clutch. The other one really didn't look that bad. I took extra precautions not to damage that spring, because I imagine they're hard to find also, but maybe one could be made. I haven't started the saw yet but it looks like the clutch would work adequately.

Ok, sounds like you are making some progress, the girdle spring would be easier to find than the shoes although I may come into some shortly, if you can get it to cut with what you have in the meantime give it a go and I will be in touch when my new order comes in.
Pioneerguy600

Back