Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That saw's painted like one of the military Homelites, Remingtons, Husqvarnas, and Stihls that folks have. It's so dang clean too. Maybe it was a military surplus saw that sat on a shelf for 30+ years before being auctioned off....

That saw's painted like one of the military Homelites, Remingtons, Husqvarnas, and Stihls that folks have. It's so dang clean too. Maybe it was a military surplus saw that sat on a shelf for 30+ years before being auctioned off....

Not sure. I emailed the guy I got it from, and asked if he knew any history on the saw. So maybe he knows something more about it. When I removed the bar cover, to install the B/C, there was just a narrow ribbon of saw dust. Also, the inside of the bar cover had remnants of yellow paint. That was the only yellow I could see anywhere. The body had a couple small chips, but there wasn't any yellow underneath......Looks like it came black.

It will work with a bit of fiddling.

Thanks for the info Jerry. Interesting. The K095 bar has such a small tail profile. I'm surprised that it was used on such large saws. The largest Homelites that it was used on are the XL101 family (54-57cc). IIRC the largest Husqvarnas that use/used that bar mount was the 262XP. Did the original Pioneer bar pattern for these saws have the same narrow tail profile of the current K095? Are the Pioneer bar studs 5/16"? I would have guessed that the old Poulan/early XL-12 mount (5/16" slot) bars and the current D176 Echo/Poulan/Mac bars would be more appropriate (because of their larger tail profile)............but as I said before I'm no Pioneer expert. We just don't have many of them here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Any idea why it has the OUTBOARD MARINE CORP tag, and not a PIONEER?

OMC was the company that bought out IEL and moved the operation to Peterbourough Ontario, they then manufactured the Pioneer saws there. I really don`t know why some saws have OMC on the tags while others have Pioneer on them.

Thanks for the info Jerry. Interesting. The K095 bar has such a small tail profile. I'm surprised that it was used on such large saws. The largest Homelites that it was used on are the XL101 family (54-57cc). IIRC the largest Husqvarnas that use/used that bar mount was the 262XP. Did the original Pioneer bar pattern for these saws have the same narrow tail profile of the current K095? Are the Pioneer bar studs 5/16"? I would have guessed that the old Poulan/early XL-12 mount (5/16" slot) bars and the current D176 Echo/Poulan/Mac bars would be more appropriate (because of their larger tail profile)............but as I said before I'm no Pioneer expert. We just don't have many of them here.

The Pioneer 600 Series saws came with true Pioneer bars on them, Pioneer made their own bars and chain. The KO95 is an Oregon bar that sort of fits on the 600 series but is not the same as an original Pioneer bar for the 600 series, as you say the KO95 is narrower on the tail end but it will work. The original Pioneer bars are getting harder to find so the KO95 is the easier of the two to come up with.

The Pioneer 600 Series saws came with true Pioneer bars on them, Pioneer made their own bars and chain. The KO95 is an Oregon bar that sort of fits on the 600 series but is not the same as an original Pioneer bar for the 600 series, as you say the KO95 is narrower on the tail end but it will work. The original Pioneer bars are getting harder to find so the KO95 is the easier of the two to come up with.

Have you tried a D176 on them?

I have no need to try anything but OEM Pioneer bars on all of my saws...LOL

That's funny Jerry. For the enlightenment of those who aren't so fortunate........................do you have any D176 bars (or old Poulan 200-300-400 series/early Homelite XL-12 5/16" slot bars) that you could compare an OEM Pioneer bar with? My only 'stake' in this discussion is curiosity, as Pioneer saws are almost nonexistant in my area. Do these 600 series Pioneers use the same bar mount as the P40/P50/P60 series saws? I do want to get at least of one of those in the future (and I do have D176 and old Poulan/Homelite mount bars). There was a P42 listed about 2 hours away in my local CL last year. Sorry for rambling and the 'Pioneer newbie' questions guys......:msp_confused:

That's funny Jerry. For the enlightenment of those who aren't so fortunate........................do you have any D176 bars (or old Poulan 200-300-400 series/early Homelite XL-12 5/16" slot bars) that you could compare an OEM Pioneer bar with? My only 'stake' in this discussion is curiosity, as Pioneer saws are almost nonexistant in my area. Do these 600 series Pioneers use the same bar mount as the P40/P50/P60 series saws? I do want to get at least of one of those in the future (and I do have D176 and old Poulan/Homelite mount bars). There was a P42 listed about 2 hours away in my local CL last year. Sorry for rambling and the 'Pioneer newbie' questions guys......:msp_confused:

Just my way of trying to be funny..LOL
The D176 bars can be made to fit, the oil delivery hole needs to be modified on the bar and IIRC the slot needs to be lengthened a bit so that the chain adjuster will have a sufficient bit of travel to tighten the stock chain length up. The 600 can run many bar mounts with just a bit of modding to the bars, the P40/ P50/P60 used the D007 mount.

Just my way of trying to be funny..LOL
The D176 bars can be made to fit, the oil delivery hole needs to be modified on the bar and IIRC the slot needs to be lengthened a bit so that the chain adjuster will have a sufficient bit of travel to tighten the stock chain length up. The 600 can run many bar mounts with just a bit of modding to the bars, the P40/ P50/P60 used the D007 mount.

Thanks Jerry!:cheers:

My finished 3270S in action. Nothing fancy, just some small dead oak. Pretty lively saw for being 40 years old.

Chris B.

[video=youtube_share;MxP6PQbRD_Q]http://youtu.be/MxP6PQbRD_Q[/video]

Back