Poulan 3400 resto rod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pocket scale says mine looks like 45.5-46mm.

I have a bid out on one from the bay and if that dosen't work out I hope you will still consider selling your 3400/3700? to me so I can finish the project!

Since mine appears to be a 4000, I'm leaning toward keeping it....or selling it for just a tad more, since I think it could be made to run well with a little work....and if you got it and painted it up, you could sell it for a couple hundred, perhaps.

If anyone happens across any NOS poulan decals please let me know. I think some generiac Pullon decals would probably fit OK, I'll go measure one at Wally World and see if at least I could use the recoil decal. Even if it says "Poulan Pro" that would be OK as this machine is certainly more "pro" than the current line up of plastic turkeys!

Lookin' Good

Great job on the pics. Sorry for the "Craigslist" dupe, but glad your making chicken salad out of chicken shi:censored: !
Keep up with the pics

I won a parts donor saw from ebay today at a fair price and I also found a set of vintage decals. Double score!

More pics as parts arrive. :clap:

me too!

I have a couple of 3700 saws and LOVE THEM

I have two 3700 and a 4000 parts saw... Kept waiting for one of the 3700's to die but no luck. The one i used the most needed crank seals...when i tore the whole saw down it didn't even need the rings i have for it! great late 70's early eighties usa made saws...but don't get me started on the air filters..
keep us posted on your build up!

Last edited:
Another step closer.

Well I managed to get the cylinder and muffler cleaned up this evening, just missing the thunderstorm thats rolling in right now. And to my surprise and delight my usually finicky sandblaster cooperated. The cylinder didn't need much work to clean up nice but the muffler was really nasty. I decided to mod this crappy muffler since the parts saw I bought looks like it has a clean muffler.

2437944804_b65c5c7724_b.jpg

Man !!!!

That is really shaping up ! You are going to have a great saw when you finish. I was glad that my bid didn't go through on the saw you won last night. I don't like the new "hidden bidder" system on e-bay now.
Mike

That is really shaping up ! You are going to have a great saw when you finish. I was glad that my bid didn't go through on the saw you won last night. I don't like the new "hidden bidder" system on e-bay now.
Mike

Did your bid go through at all? I check my auction about 2-3 minutes before it finished and it was still at about $13.50 I think. Then I came back and it was at $30 something dollars. Oh well, I was hoping to get it cheaper but whaddaya gonna do. That particular saw included a bucking spike and a rim type sprocket so it was the best deal for the money I saw on the bay. On a very positive note I discovered that my mac 10-10 and the 3400 share the same bar mount, the Poulan kinda needs a new bar but I wasn't going to buy one since I probably won't use the 3400 much after its done. Now when I buy a new one I can justify it a little more since it will fit my other work saw too.

Moparman, I can't say for sure but once this is all done I will proabably have a bunch of redundant parts from the parts saw I would be happy to share once it is all sorted out.

Brian,
Between the time I placed my bid in the little box and confirmed it I had already been outbid so it didn't go through at all.
I would be interested in the leftovers when you are finished PM me a price and we will see.
I have the repair manual for that series on CD and in my thumb drive if you need it.
And I believe that after you put that saw to the wood you will end up using it a LOT more than you think.
If you've never used one you have a surprise in store.....I'm tellin' ya'
Mike

I might have to take you up on the offer of the manual. Maybe I can talk you into mailing a copy on CD, I'll send some money for postage if you would.

Brian,

Thanks for the PM! I had noticed the thread but did not connect the dots and realize that you were the owner of it. I've been a bit busy the last few weeks getting my act together since I'm retiring at the end of the month.

After you get that 3400 running the feeling of accomplishment will make all the effort you put into it worthwhile. I still say the 3450 I rebuilt is my favorite saw. There is nothing like bringing one back from the dead.

Heck, I may just bring the 3450 over to you for a paint job! :)

Some progress today.

Ups brought my epayed parts saw on Friday, I was a little dissappointed at first but it turned out to have a wealth of good parts and it looks like I'll be able to make everything work.

First thing I noticed when I opened the box was that the chain cover was broken in the same place as my old one but not as severely. The tensioner screw bears against the cover and only has a thin bridge of metal to bear against. This is a poor design and my other cover was broken in the same place. Behind the main support and e-clip for the screw is a second support, this piece was totally missing from my new cover. See pic below.

2444312048_1c986af281_b.jpg

To fix this problem I used the dremel to clean out the valley where the old support was and made a new spacer/support of aluminum. I also made an additional reinforcement to the front of the cover where the tensioner screw bears against. See pic below.

2443472043_f0c033b55c_b.jpg

The pieces fit together like this and the drillbit will hold them together in line tonight when I epoxy everything together. Pics below.

2444302282_bbd531767b_b.jpg

2444301278_f6be81a819_b.jpg

I think this will be a solid repair once it cures, I'm using a high strength epoxy that will be tough once it is finished.

Latest posts

Back