Poulan 3400 resto rod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you not get the aluminum welded, The epoxy will probably hold but if you plan using the saw hard it would be better welded. The saws gonna look real nice and run like a new one.

Yes, I'm sure it could be and I'm going to have my other cover repaired that way if this does not work. Without the extra support shown above though I can see this happening again, weld or no weld.

Restoration job looking good.
Could have put on an oregon Intenz bar and not need the tensioner.:)
But by repairing it now, You will have it more origional.:clap:

That looks like a real good fix for that problem. The clutch covers on those saws are pretty weak. I have found the plastic covers to hold up better. (Dang....did I say that????) I have one painted up and ready to go on my 3400+ when I get the (new) decal off the original. After seeing the artistry you put into yours I wouldn't dare post a pic of mine.
My lovely wife (she reads this forum sometimes) dropped your CD in the mail yesterday pm and you should have it by Wednesday at the latest.
Keep the pics coming, maybe I can learn how to do this stuff the right way.
Mike

I have found the plastic covers to hold up better. (Dang....did I say that????) I have one painted up and ready to go on my 3400+ when I get the (new) decal off the original. Mike

Plastic cover? Where do you find one of those? If I could find one of those I would probably use it when running the saw to save the good metal one for "show".

Brian,
They come up on eeeeee-Bay quite often however, I just looked through and didn't see one.
I have a couple of pretty decent ones in my stash. Let me see what happens in the next week with a couple of saws I'm bird dogging and if it works out that I can let one go I'll let you know. I think they are both craftsman but not sure.
As a rule I HATE plastic but they tend to give just a little bit where the aluminum ones just break.
Mike

More painting.

Today I got the rear handles and top cover parts cleaned and painted. I used Krylon Fusion for the plastic and metal parts. I've had good luck with Fusion before on plastic parts, hopefully it will hold up just as good on the metal parts too.

2447237459_d78c55f23e_b.jpg

2447284495_5e26b01b93_b.jpg

The paint is gloss black, the weird spots on the paint are video noise from shooting pics in a dark room.

This may be the last update for a while, I have a batch of new parts coming in from Edge and Engine but I'll be traveling most of next week and next weekend so I might not get anything more done for another week or so.

Is your Craftsman a 3400 version? Most of the Craftsman versions of this saw that I have seen seemed to be 3.7's which would be a 3700.
Which is even better....

Definitely the 3.4 - sold with a 16 inch bar. The 3.7 came with the 18 inch bar.

I love the saw though!

Hurray, a whole bunch of fresh parts showed up in the mail from Edge and Engine, and decals too from my epay source. Here are some more photos.

The cover repair is complete.
2451081270_487ac6e927_b.jpg

Close up, got some paint problems over the eopxy for unknown reasons..
2451082528_c100e4b40c_b.jpg

Decals!
2451079840_d4f7695934_b.jpg

Gaskets!
2450251049_5c88c6bda3_b.jpg

Bucking spike! Hurray!
2450252411_b4abcb48bd_b.jpg

Brian,
The clutch cover repair looks great! You are going to have so much time in that saw that it will be like a member of the family when you're done.
Mike

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls of all ages-- BEHOLD!

2453786868_9cac6006a8_b.jpg

2452958627_dd05c7a49c_b.jpg

It's not quite done and won't be for about another week as I'll be on a business trip the rest of the week. Still needs the carb rebuilt and installed and some fasteners, clutch, flywheel etc need to be torqued down. These photos are not flattering, it really looks better in person and probably will in daylight. I just took these in total darkness out in the yard. The protective film over the recoil decal didn't come off real well and took some of the printing with it, oh well it was bound to get torn up being used, and I intend to use this one!

WHEW! I had no idea how much time this was going to take, once this one is up and running I think I'll take a break from chainsaw restoration. Thanks for all your support and I will post more pics once all the rest of the pieces are there and it runs.

Time for :cheers:

Brian,
The clutch cover repair looks great! You are going to have so much time in that saw that it will be like a member of the family when you're done.
Mike

The saw is family....... LOL

Thanks Mike, I'm happy with it too.

All right! I'm back from Florida and I finished the last of the big stuff tonight

It runs like a CHAMP!

Now I just need the chain adjuster and it will be officially DONE!

I'll post some pics later this week when I get to actually cut something with it!

2472731574_876d526604_b.jpg

2471907747_d09bbfcb11_b.jpg

Ain't that pretty!!!

Orange and Black, My high school colors.
Man that looks great!! How do you feel about Poulans now? I hope you can surprise as many people with the way yours runs and cut as I have with mine. I'll say it again, They are great saws.
Mike

Latest posts

Back