Professional vs. Home model Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lot more difference than just the power to weight ratio, the non-pro Stihls have a plastic case, and are much harder to work on than the pro ones for most people. The quality on some parts is also different, but that will vary with the exact models. A few experts on them may differ regarding how hard they are to work on, but that is only because they worked on a lot of them.
Hi ST, I know the pro models are much better. I was just saying there are a lot of home owner saws out there taking a beating and doing OK.

elwoodps
What about the MS270, MS280 & the various 028's
Like the MS290/310/390 they're listed as "Mid-Range Use" saws ("Chain Saws for Farming and Landscaping" in Canada), but don't have the clam-shell crankcase. How do they differ from the "Pro" saws?

They still have plastic crank cases. There was a photo here recently of one with melted case.

If one wants top quality, get a pro model, like a 346xp ;) There, I said it :D

800 American Dollars!?!
i made a post asking for one months ago, and had several offers from guys, that i dont even know personally, willing to pick one up from their local shop and send to me for around $600 shipped (or less) in some cases!

MS362 at my dealer is $669.

Thanks for all the great info, guys. This site is a wealth of knowledge. I guess I have always been a "Tim the Toolman" kind of guy when it comes to being overkill with my machines. I don't need a 2500 series diesel pickup, yet I bought one. Hell, I don't even need a 1500 series gasoline one.....a Toyota Tacoma would suit my needs just fine. I don't need a 1000cc sportbike capable of 186mph, yet I have one in my garage. (a 600cc sportbike is PLENTY fast for my riding ability).

Maybe it's a disease. :chainsawguy:

Regardless, I guess I can't really go wrong by buying a professional line saw, huh? To be honest, I'm tempted to just buy an MS880 and call it a day...haha. But unfortunately, there seems to be a point of diminishing returns with power and weight. An 8.6 hp saw would be cool, but what homeowner wants to cut a saplings and occasional firewood with a 22 lb, 8.6 hp saw, right?

So, long story short, it looks like the MS362 is a high quality, lightweight saw with very decent power, so that's more than likely what I'll go with. Of course, that MS441 could be had for only a little more money.....:D

I don't need a 2500 series diesel pickup, yet I bought one. Hell, I don't even need a 1500 series gasoline one.....a Toyota Tacoma would suit my needs just fine. I don't need a 1000cc sportbike capable of 186mph, yet I have one in my garage.

Maybe it's a disease.

actually yes, it is, its called napoleon syndrome..

j/k :D

and why immediately rule out the 260 ? huge gap from a 290 to a 362

Last edited:
So, long story short, it looks like the MS362 is a high quality, lightweight saw with very decent power, so that's more than likely what I'll go with. Of course, that MS441 could be had for only a little more money.....:D

That is one way of looking at it. Most here could get by with a 290 but the "want" factor plays an important roll. Does for me anyway. I could do 90% of my falling/bucking jobs with a ported 440. A ported 660 came along and I just had to have it. Not a need, a want.:D I don't even want to mention the pipe saws.:laugh:

The 362 would be a better "one saw" deal and could pull a 25" b&c just fine. The 441 is better for bigger wood. Just be warned that CAD will make ya get both.:biggrinbounce2:

I guess I should have asked the dealer this, but what exactly is the MS 290? My fire Dept has MS 280's, an assortment of small Stihls with 14" bars, some of the firefighting saws, and 1/2 dozen backpack blowers.

I really do not understand the model numbering Stihl uses. Is an 029 bigger than my 290? What does MS stand for? What are the saws without a prefix?

When I bought my saw, the third dealer I spoke to asked how much cutting I did, and what type of use it would get. (ie would I be dropping trees or cutting chunks and would I be on the ground or climbing). He offered to put a package together for me in a few days and that's how I got my 290. (I forgot the price, but it was the saw, 12 bottles of mix and a gallon can, a hardhat, gloves, 2 extra chains, and a bottle of stabilize). All this for about $20 more than the list of the saw.

After killing a Shindaiwa and a year old Lowes Poulin saw, this was a well enjoyed experiance using/owning this saw. 4 years and I have not killed it yet. It's been dropped, left in the rain, fell off my truck, and had a log thrown at it and it still works like new.

PS - Schmitt and Searafin in Waterbury CT is an awsome dealer with a full line of Stihl equipment and excellent service. They also carry splitters, plows, and a full line of hardware. Sorry for the business recommendation but they are truly great guys that not only sell this equipment but use it themselves

After killing a Shindaiwa and a year old Lowes Poulin saw, this was a well enjoyed experiance using/owning this saw. 4 years and I have not killed it yet. It's been dropped, left in the rain, fell off my truck, and had a log thrown at it and it still works like new.

This is why the 290 sold so well. Where other saws would fail, the 290 keeps trucking. It's just a well built saw meant for firewood guys to beat on.

The MS290 is basically the same saw as the 029, less the screw caps. 290s have the flippy caps. The MS series is just the newer verison of the older "0" series saws. Like the 044 has been replaced by the MS440. Bad A saws btw.:D

Just curious if you guys knew what the differences are between Stihl's occasional/home use chainsaws vs. their professional models? For instance, what features would I be paying extra for buying an MS362 vs an MS290 Farm Boss? I see that both are roughly 56ccs and 13 lbs, but the MS has almost 1 more HP.

My main concern is durability. Are the pro series engines built better than the occasional use models? Are there better bars, chains etc on the pro models?

Sorry if I sound like a newbie, but I'm just a homeowner looking for a really good saw. I know a professional model is overkill for my use, but I would rather pay extra now for something that will last 10 years versus something that will be junk in 3 or 4.

As far as durability, the 290 and 362 should both be very durable. I have seen 290's take their beatings, being trucked around in skidder buckets and truck beds, being tossed on the ground and generally treated very rough - but they kept going and going.

The main difference between the 2 is design and performance. The 362 is a newer design with higher performance. The 290 is an older design and much harder to do an engine type repair on, but both saws will last a long time.

I bought my 361 as a homeowner saw, I was recommended a 290 but I decided to step up and get a pro-grade saw. In the long run, it was a good decision.

362 is superior to the 290 in all aspects. I feel you buddy, I have the same desease. Everything is snap-on, pro saw, expensive rifles and bows, 700 dollar scopes, etc. I just like to know that I own quality stuff. Nothing wrong with that.
A 362 is built with a metal crankcase -vs- plastic with the 290. 362 has better power to weight, antivibe, gas mileage, and the air filter will stay cleaner longer. They just balance in the hands better too. Same thing for the 361, which I have. It's even lighter thn the 290 and has pretty much the same power as the 362 without the new design engine system. You can still find them around for alot cheaper than the 362 if you can locate one. I like the 361 better. It will be easier to modify if you ever wanted to also. :D
Don't get me wrong, the 290 is a great saw too. Just not quite as great as a 361 or 362.

Everything is snap-on, pro saw, expensive rifles and bows, 700 dollar scopes, etc. I just like to know that I own quality stuff. Nothing wrong with that.

$700 is staring to get into the decent scopes, expensive is S&B. I would love to have one. My Burris XTR will have to do for now.

btw, nice avatar!:cheers:

362 is superior to the 290 in all aspects. I feel you buddy, I have the same desease. Everything is snap-on, pro saw, expensive rifles and bows, 700 dollar scopes, etc. I just like to know that I own quality stuff. Nothing wrong with that.
A 362 is built with a metal crankcase -vs- plastic with the 290. 362 has better power to weight, antivibe, gas mileage, and the air filter will stay cleaner longer. They just balance in the hands better too. Same thing for the 361, which I have. It's even lighter thn the 290 and has pretty much the same power as the 362 without the new design engine system. You can still find them around for alot cheaper than the 362 if you can locate one. I like the 361 better. It will be easier to modify if you ever wanted to also. :D
Don't get me wrong, the 290 is a great saw too. Just not quite as great as a 361 or 362.

not exactly.....the 362 and 290 are VERY close in weight.......the 290 holds a distinct advantage at the cash register.......while the 1127's (290/310/390) use plastic crankcase, they are very robust and the cranks of both saws sit in metal.....the 1127's just use a cradle to hold the crank...i have never read of a failure of this arrangement.....i'm sure their have been, but bearings spin in metal cranks too.......to me, stihl lost a large portion of the 361's appeal when they let the weight jump......

Last edited:

Good info....so a metal crankcase is one of the benefits of upping to a pro saw huh? Also, you mention the new design engine system. Is this the 4-mix engine they're putting in their trimmers? Are any of the new professional saws still 2 stroke besides the 660 and 880?

I don't know much about chainsaws but I recently bought a MS290 new for something like $380 after tax and I love it.
I was used to a 26cc Poulan before that and I hadn't learned how to properly sharpen a chain before finding this site so It's a bit of a jump going from a weak saw with a chain that had the rakers too high on it to a Stihl with twice the power and a properly sharpened chain but hey, like I said, I love this thing.

I've also seen some disapproval of the flippy caps but I love those too. My Poulan needed a pair of channel locks to get the caps off.

I think I'm going to go cut some trees now.

Good info....so a metal crankcase is one of the benefits of upping to a pro saw huh? Also, you mention the new design engine system. Is this the 4-mix engine they're putting in their trimmers? Are any of the new professional saws still 2 stroke besides the 660 and 880?

All the saws are 2 stroke, not 4 stroke like the trimmers.

All the saws are 2 stroke, not 4 stroke like the trimmers.

Just wondering...cause some of their pro saws are labeled with the green dot in the brochure as being eco-friendly (MS362 and MS441, for example) bragging about low fuel consumption and emissions while some don't have the "green rating" such as the MS260 pro and MS460.

Personally, I think it's kind of funny that a chainsaw company is trying to market itself as "green", but that's a whole other story. :)

Just wondering...cause some of their pro saws are labeled with the green dot in the brochure as being eco-friendly (MS362 and MS441, for example) bragging about low fuel consumption and emissions while some don't have the "green rating" such as the MS260 pro and MS460.

Personally, I think it's kind of funny that a chainsaw company is trying to market itself as "green", but that's a whole other story. :)

The 362 and 441 are strato design meaning 40% less emissions and less fuel consumption. The 260 and 460 are plain old 2 cycle, more emissions, more fuel consumption, not green freindly. Who's laffing now,hehe

the 3rd number (0,1, or 2) designates a "revision" in a sort of way. The 1 is an improvement of the 0 and the 2 is an improvement of the 1. So the 1 & 2 models are improved, and that typically means better emissions (stricter standards for newer saws).
Why do you say that? Harvesting trees to be used as lumber ties the carbon up, and makes room for more trees to grow, removing more carbon from the atmosphere. Burning wood for heat is a carbon neutral form of heating. It doesn't add anymore carbon to the atmosphere than it took out.

So as a whole, the timber industry is pretty green. The hippies just don't see it that way because they can't think rationally.

Back