Professional vs. Home model Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the great info, guys. This site is a wealth of knowledge. I guess I have always been a "Tim the Toolman" kind of guy when it comes to being overkill with my machines. I don't need a 2500 series diesel pickup, yet I bought one. Hell, I don't even need a 1500 series gasoline one.....a Toyota Tacoma would suit my needs just fine. I don't need a 1000cc sportbike capable of 186mph, yet I have one in my garage. (a 600cc sportbike is PLENTY fast for my riding ability).

Maybe it's a disease. :chainsawguy:

Regardless, I guess I can't really go wrong by buying a professional line saw, huh? To be honest, I'm tempted to just buy an MS880 and call it a day...haha. But unfortunately, there seems to be a point of diminishing returns with power and weight. An 8.6 hp saw would be cool, but what homeowner wants to cut a saplings and occasional firewood with a 22 lb, 8.6 hp saw, right?

So, long story short, it looks like the MS362 is a high quality, lightweight saw with very decent power, so that's more than likely what I'll go with. Of course, that MS441 could be had for only a little more money.....:D

I will reccomend the 441. i have one i bought second hand. runs like a champ. if your cutting anything smaller than say 4 inch wood its a real pain as its a tad heavy. i really think it shines in the 18-25 inch wood. (hard woods) Filter cleanings are few and far between as with fill ups on fuel. I have heard the AV is great. i wouldnt know as mine has a blown out AV mount so its a bit rough on the hands.

I will reccomend the 441. i have one i bought second hand. runs like a champ. if your cutting anything smaller than say 4 inch wood its a real pain as its a tad heavy. i really think it shines in the 18-25 inch wood. (hard woods) Filter cleanings are few and far between as with fill ups on fuel. I have heard the AV is great. i wouldnt know as mine has a blown out AV mount so its a bit rough on the hands.
Hmmm... if you're going to heft a 441 around you may as well go for the 460. Same weight, more power!

Hmmm... if you're going to heft a 441 around you may as well go for the 460. Same weight, more power!

kinda hard for me when the 441 was only $200 and a new 460 was $800ish.

Not that it matters since the 066 is getting resurrected in a week or so anyway.

Far as I know every Stihl has a metal crankcase even the MS170 with most of the odd numbered ones being a clamshell design where the engine sits in a plastic case , which makes it harder to do a P@C but easier to do bearings. Some Huskys have the bottom of the crankcase made out of plastic. Steve

So as a whole, the timber industry is pretty green. The hippies just don't see it that way because they can't think rationally.

Oh believe me, I'm with you on that. I just don't see why Stihl seems so concerned with appeasing the hippies by doing all the marketing of how "green" their tailpipe emissions are. The hippies are going to always villify anything or anyone who cuts down a tree, so Stihl should just say the hell with them. It's not like they would be losing their customer base by ditching the whole "green" thing. How many hippies do you know who own a chainsaw?

But of course, the new engine design is more than likely the results EPA mandates and totally out of Stihl's hands.

Oh believe me, I'm with you on that. I just don't see why Stihl seems so concerned with appeasing the hippies by doing all the marketing of how "green" their tailpipe emissions are. The hippies are going to always villify anything or anyone who cuts down a tree, so Stihl should just say the hell with them. It's not like they would be losing their customer base by ditching the whole "green" thing. How many hippies do you know who own a chainsaw?

But of course, the new engine design is more than likely the results EPA mandates and totally out of Stihl's hands.[/QUOTE]

Now your hitting the nail on the head. Remember also its not just Stihl its all manufacturers having to meet EPA requirements. Stihl is however outsmarting the others by taking something they are forced to make and promoting it using the term "Going Green". Smart move on thier part. The Going Green thing is also a common term used by auto makers and thanks to the EPA Going Green is here to stay. We in the USA have a Going Green market, if ya wanna play in it ya gotta be Green or get out..

Back