Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I didn’t know that those clutch covers would fit. I just replaced the clutch cover on my other 346xp 🙄
It's an awesome upgrade, remove the stock tensioner and put the cover on, it eliminates having to make sure you have just the right scrench and trying to find that little tensioner screw thru that slot :rare2:.

It's an awesome upgrade, remove the stock tensioner and put the cover on, it eliminates having to make sure you have just the right scrench and trying to find that little tensioner screw thru that slot :rare2:.
Funny story, I looked when I went out to the saw shed, and this was actually the saw that I replaced the side cover on 🤦‍♂️

Our wood is so twisted that even the splitter won’t get them a lot of times. Those get noodles. I ain’t spending all day hammering on them.
The chainsaw is best for those heavily twisted pieces. I do that too when my splitter doesn't like them.

This is the situation the ports of the muffler point straight up . Guess I’ll block them off and add a pipe to the side View attachment 1032208View attachment 1032211
Shouldn’t be exhaust coming out there unless someone drilled some holes, that’s just a “bumper” factory outlet should be on clutch side of muffler. I installed a 288 deflector on the front of the muffler on mine to direct exhaust down and away from me when milling, worked good.

Shouldn’t be exhaust coming out there unless someone drilled some holes, that’s just a “bumper” factory outlet should be on clutch side of muffler. I installed a 288 deflector on the front of the muffler on mine to direct exhaust down and away from me when milling, worked good.
Yea , my 394 has factory right side outlet and I put a 288 deflector on left side of you do a close up view.

Attachments

• 8459CCDE-32AB-4118-B26C-2FA68B9E929B.jpeg
    8459CCDE-32AB-4118-B26C-2FA68B9E929B.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
No such thing as a rick in my hood, 4'x8'x16" is a face cord.

A face cord is 4' X 8' of whatever length firewood you burn (usually 16, 18, or 20").

Going by 16", it is 1/3 of a cord.

Neither are used here, it’s cord or fractions of.

Many municipalities have outlawed the sale of anything other than a cord. That being 128 cubic ft of wood, typically measuring 4x4x8. This helps make court cases easier to settle, to bad those who would screw someone over care nothing about these things; similar to gun laws ;).
No laws here and it pays to shop around that is why i scroung or cut wood off my property when weather is good.
example this joker one county over from me.
https://bgky.craigslist.org/for/d/bowling-green-firewood-70-rick-you-pick/7556687985.html

Don’t have a picture of 394 but here’s one of my 790180D9992E-D789-41C0-A439-DA05747BE2F9.png

Carhartt ain’t what they used to be and I quit wasting money on them. I haven’t had a pair last over 2 weeks in a few years.
I started buying their "factory seconds". I've been pleasantly surprised how well these held up. I have a work and home pair. The hone pair is pretty rough, but this will be year 3 for it. The work pair is close to new as were mostly indoors for our overhaul season.
This is the situation the ports of the muffler point straight up . Guess I’ll block them off and add a pipe to the side View attachment 1032208View attachment 1032211
My exhaust cones out the side of the muffler.
My dad had this monstrous short handled red maul when I was a kid, thing has to weigh 20 lb.

I’ve been eye balling a Stihl of husky splitting maul as I like a longer handle. But haven’t jumped on it yet. Right now I do most of my splitting with a plumb double bit, and I’d that won’t do it I use the lazy man’s axe.
I use the splitter for most everything, unless it's a nice straight grained wood and short pieces.
No laws here and it pays to shop around that is why i scroung or cut wood off my property when weather is good.
example this joker one county over from me.
https://bgky.craigslist.org/for/d/bowling-green-firewood-70-rick-you-pick/7556687985.html
You most likely just arnt awear of the cord wood laws. Most of them are pretty obscure unless you live in an area where a lot of people heat with wood, like in my area.
The laws arnt enforced very well around here either, but if someone makes a big enough stink we all get a reminder that the only legal way to sell wood is by the cord/half cord.
Could be wrong, as I didn't look into it for your state, but I'd be surprised if there arnt any.

So I made a point of hoisting my camera in the last couple days. Here's a muley buck and his girlfriend in my back yard Sunday. Would love to sit by the woodshed with a crossbow, but my wife is dead set against me shooting anything here at home. Actually, if I could shoot, I'd leave the trophy rack bucks alone and take the young flesh.
DSC03055.JPGDSC03062.JPG

And here's yesterday's scrounge, along with a pic of my buddy Michael who helped me load and haul--him standing next to some monster rounds that I hauled a day or two earlier. This stuff (all ash) went to my overflow lot because it's getting too tight at the woodshed. Then there's a photo of my wood dolly that I hardly ever use--it's way too big and heavy (125#)--but we needed it yesterday as we had to park the pickup and trailer a little ways from the pile that my arborist friend left for me. Carrying firewood rounds is against my rules. You either get the pickup right next to the pile, or you move it on wheels.
DSC03066.JPGDSC03065.JPGDSC03067.JPG

And here's yesterday's scrounge, along with a pic of my buddy Michael who helped me load and haul--him standing next to some monster rounds that I hauled a day or two earlier. This stuff (all ash) went to my overflow lot because it's getting too tight at the woodshed. Then there's a photo of my wood dolly that I hardly ever use--it's way too big and heavy (125#)--but we needed it yesterday as we had to park the pickup and trailer a little ways from the pile that my arborist friend left for me. Carrying firewood rounds is against my rules. You either get the pickup right next to the pile, or you move it on wheels.
View attachment 1032388View attachment 1032389View attachment 1032390
I like your uni-strut side rails.

And here's how things are shaping up at the woodshed. Everything inside the shed and under the tarp is ready to burn this season. The uncovered stuff is the beginning of next year's supply. EAB is a *****, but it's sure been good for my woodpile. It's the majority of what I've been hauling lately, along with a lot of honey locust. Elm haul is down this season, which does not hurt my feelings a bit. Elm is good enough but not my favorite fuel. I even have some oak (burr oak)DSC03069.JPG in the mix which normally is hard to come by hereabout.

I'm scrambling to accumulate as much as possible, as I get a new right knee on Friday. Then my scrounging will be put on hold during the season when I normally am hard at it.

BTW, that's a treated canvas tarp from Chicago Canvas--12 or 16' by 24' if I remember right. It's now about 8 or 9 yrs old and has lots of life left. Patched where a bear tore a hole or pack rat chewed. I'll never have another vinyl tarp--that useless crap lasts maybe a season or two and goes to hell fast. The canvas, though it costs more at the outset, will outlast several vinyl tarp lives, and does not litter my yard with strips of nastiness.
DSC03068.JPG

I like your uni-strut side rails.
they came with the trailer when I bought it some years back. It helps a great deal to increase capacity. It also had a handcrank winch on the front with steel rope, something I thought would be handy. But the time or two that I used it it was so unhandy--the load catching on every little thing--that I finally removed the winch as it just got in the way.

And here's how things are shaping up at the woodshed. Everything inside the shed and under the tarp is ready to burn this season. The uncovered stuff is the beginning of next year's supply. EAB is a *****, but it's sure been good for my woodpile. It's the majority of what I've been hauling lately, along with a lot of honey locust. Elm haul is down this season, which does not hurt my feelings a bit. Elm is good enough but not my favorite fuel. I even have some oak (burr oak)View attachment 1032394 in the mix which normally is hard to come by hereabout.

I'm scrambling to accumulate as much as possible, as I get a new right knee on Friday. Then my scrounging will be put on hold during the season when I normally am hard at it.

BTW, that's a treated canvas tarp from Chicago Canvas--12 or 16' by 24' if I remember right. It's now about 8 or 9 yrs old and has lots of life left. Patched where a bear tore a hole or pack rat chewed. I'll never have another vinyl tarp--that useless crap lasts maybe a season or two and goes to hell fast. The canvas, though it costs more at the outset, will outlast several vinyl tarp lives, and does not litter my yard with strips of nastiness.
View attachment 1032392
I use old billboard material as tarps. Been great so far. My logging buddy has been using them for years. Pretty cheap. 14' x 48' for $80.00 to my door.

Back