Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn’t be exhaust coming out there unless someone drilled some holes, that’s just a “bumper” factory outlet should be on clutch side of muffler. I installed a 288 deflector on the front of the muffler on mine to direct exhaust down and away from me when milling, worked good.
Looking closer at the saw you are right . Going to have to mod it to direct it away from me . As it is now the exhaust hits the mill and wood and blasts meA8CD6292-0811-411E-8992-5543980F07A2.jpeg

The diversity of what we define "big" as is very interesting. We get a bit of everything over here in the east. Normal can be from 12-28" dbh. Bigger isn't uncommon but not the norm. We get a mix of hard and soft woods, but mostly hard woods. Over on the west coast a 32" tree is little lol. Kinda like how I look at a 938 cat or 624 deere as small loaders, but I worked heavy equipment most my life surrounded by 992's, D11's and other "big" equipment. All a matter of perspective.

Guide to west coast timber sizes:

Small:

IMG_20221022_101833279.jpg.bb03708cd4443199bbde2af9a43a6960.jpg

Medium:
20221017_190204.jpg.05ea635424839d214655326c0c3601d5.jpg

Big...crappy panorama pic, but old broken top "outlaw" redwood. The oldtimers probably passed it up because of the huge cat face on the side of it and the top, there are even bigger ones in that particular section of woods. This one wasn't that tall, but would probably be 250'+ tall if it still had its top. Those are 30"ish DBH tanoaks next to it for comparison:

20220318_122757.jpg.74cd8c88b4f0da5b20df5e5a81e37099.jpg

Hi guys.

We switched locations closer to civilization and started seeing deer. My son saw three does last night but passed on them, wants his first deer to be a buck. I give him credit for that. I went out today for 3 hours and did not see anything but there were fresh tracks over my tracks from last night. 5 1/2 days left, we'll keep trying.

Hi guys.

We switched locations closer to civilization and started seeing deer. My son saw three does last night but passed on them, wants his first deer to be a buck. I give him credit for that. I went out today for 3 hours and did not see anything but there were fresh tracks over my tracks from last night. 5 1/2 days left, we'll keep trying.
You guys back east can have my deer...they're almost pests right now. They just hang out around my property, I could get one of them with a hammer if I so desired.

You guys back east can have my deer...they're almost pests right now. They just hang out around my property, I could get one of them with a hammer if I so desired.
Was like that at the ranch in Montana. The deer were everywhere and basically tame. Back here in Pennsylvania, it's rare to see a trophy buck that's not on private land.

Guide to west coast timber sizes:

Small:

IMG_20221022_101833279.jpg.bb03708cd4443199bbde2af9a43a6960.jpg

Medium:
20221017_190204.jpg.05ea635424839d214655326c0c3601d5.jpg

Big...crappy panorama pic, but old broken top "outlaw" redwood. The oldtimers probably passed it up because of the huge cat face on the side of it and the top, there are even bigger ones in that particular section of woods. This one wasn't that tall, but would probably be 250'+ tall if it still had its top. Those are 30"ish DBH tanoaks next to it for comparison:

20220318_122757.jpg.74cd8c88b4f0da5b20df5e5a81e37099.jpg

Will a tree like that be reproducing? Are there many redwood saplings growing for the future?

Sorry if I sound ignorant. We see the big old trees but I've never seen a young redwood. I hope that they are thriving, not declining.

I don’t have a splitter. Used steel wedges and a sledge hammer for knarley stuff. I guess a lot of guys noodle them too.

Philbert
The thing I found was gnarly, proper crotchety, twisted and generally f***ed up gnarly, doesn't split when wedges either. Now I block these up. I screw my face up enviously when I read someone say, 'i just push rounds like that back in the forest ' as an urbanite getting deliveries from a tree guy I have to either run these bits to the tip, or block them up. Blocking them up is a pita but quicker and uses less fuel than a tip run. I have used 2.5 litres of mix through the Makita just blocking up the unsplitables that I'd set aside from this year's wood deliveries, and still another tank or two to go, but I've given up on wedges. Wedges I've decided, are for really really big rounds that you can't get started.... But even here I tend to apply the 'flake bits off the outside' method. My wedges are gathering dust and rust... Long may they continue!

The thing I found was gnarly, proper crotchety, twisted and generally f***ed up gnarly, doesn't split when wedges either. Now I block these up. I screw my face up enviously when I read someone say, 'i just push rounds like that back in the forest ' as an urbanite getting deliveries from a tree guy I have to either run these bits to the tip, or block them up. Blocking them up is a pita but quicker and uses less fuel than a tip run. I have used 2.5 litres of mix through the Makita just blocking up the unsplitables that I'd set aside from this year's wood deliveries, and still another tank or two to go, but I've given up on wedges. Wedges I've decided, are for really really big rounds that you can't get started.... But even here I tend to apply the 'flake bits off the outside' method. My wedges are gathering dust and rust... Long may they continue!
I don't bother with wedges either. If my splitter can't split it (which is a very rare occurrence.) It's get noodled into manageable size then split with the splitter.

I started buying their "factory seconds". I've been pleasantly surprised how well these held up. I have a work and home pair. The hone pair is pretty rough, but this will be year 3 for it. The work pair is close to new as were mostly indoors for our overhaul season.

My exhaust cones out the side of the muffler.

I use the splitter for most everything, unless it's a nice straight grained wood and short pieces.

You most likely just arnt awear of the cord wood laws. Most of them are pretty obscure unless you live in an area where a lot of people heat with wood, like in my area.
The laws arnt enforced very well around here either, but if someone makes a big enough stink we all get a reminder that the only legal way to sell wood is by the cord/half cord.
Could be wrong, as I didn't look into it for your state, but I'd be surprised if there arnt any.

They're usually found ing "weights and measures' section of the codes

Back