Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this poit I'm not sure I will be doing much scrounging this year. It's taking me longer than I anticipated to get my truck engine back together. Part of the delay is getting the funds to put into it and finding time to wrench on it and still keep up with all the other famil/home stuff. To obtain funds I'm still cutting trees for a local guy. Getting him caught up on firewood logs now and about to start cutting some saw logs. Here's some updated pics. I took these two in te same spot as the first set notice the high stumps (not mine).
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

It is 95 right now with a HI of 106 down here in Arkansas. I wish all my wood was split and stacked so it could bake in this heat, but it is not. Tomorrow we are going to break 100. Temps like that do not make me want to sit in front of the Hydro. I think I would have a mutiny on my hands if I tried to get Mrs. Weld to split some wood. :dumb:

Sun rises at 6 and it's generally cool then too. ;)

No good for those of us who have to be to work by 7:00!

I have chickens to kill tonight (ok, I guess I could sing them a lullaby and ask them to please stop living now, but that doesn't let me use my Fiskars hatchet). But later this week, I'm thinking I might take advantage of the fact that it is light till after 9:00 to get some wood split and stacked.

It is 95 right now with a HI of 106 down here in Arkansas. I wish all my wood was split and stacked so it could bake in this heat, but it is not. Tomorrow we are going to break 100. Temps like that do not make me want to sit in front of the Hydro. I think I would have a mutiny on my hands if I tried to get Mrs. Weld to split some wood. :dumb:
I used to live in Lake Village, AR. So I know what that heat is like. Stay cool man!

Not sure if this counts as a scrounge as a whole but part of it is for sure. Tuesday June 30th our entire area had some strong thunderstorms come through and cause damage ina 30-40 mile range. Lots and lots of downed trees and plenty of tops blown out and hangers way up in the trees. The tree companies have had so much work to do, many of them stopped answering their phones or were giving 3 weeks to even come look at jobs. I was able to pick up plenty of jobs where trees were fully on the ground. Pretty much all towns around offer brush pick up once or twice a year but when storms like this happen, they offer another round. What did that mean for me? I got paid good money to cut up downed trees, drag brush to the curb and haul the wood away. I was hoping to score more oak jobs than I did but still managed to get about 5-6 cords of it. I also got close to 10 cords for my owb. Depending on the day, I was hiring 1-3 teenagers to drag and help load while I mostly ran the saws.

Dang, the exact second I started reading this post, my weather radio started going nuts....70 mph winds, hail, lightning whatever gonna hit soon. Went to town earlier grabbed a brand new 18 inch bar and two loops for my 346xp and an extra loop for my 24 inch bar 371xp. Took em apart, full air cleaning, etc. I'm as ready as I can get. Already this past week lost a big branch in the yard, one of my apple trees blew over, and another tree across the road I had to clear, and these were just baby storms. Full foliage, the ground is saturated already, gonna be...well, most likely exciting.

Well much less excitement here today. Since I never pulled the muffler on the ms271 to look at the piston. It still has the machine marks which is a good sign.

Put a new spark plug/air filter/fuel filter in the cs400. Probably didn't need it but I figured it couldn't hurt since I have no history with the saw. I would like to clean up the exhaust port but I'm not sure about how to break the carbon loose. I tried a dowel rod but that didn't do much. I had the piston to dead center and blew the port out before reassembly. Any advice would be appreciated.
ce4979ad05208c95d89a1395f386b643.jpg

Old plug.
072b3779e43d8efad346eeab37c02e1d.jpg

Back