Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and when can I expect the 'secret solution' to be PM'd? Lol. I can handle the garlic butter part. :yes:
Here's the secret. Poach fish in regular 7-up. The sweetness and citrus from the soda impart themselves into the fish. Works with any species. My family actually likes it better than fish fry. But plan to cook more because it takes a lot of fish to fill you up when there isn't any batter to act as filler.

Here's the secret. Poach fish in regular 7-up. The sweetness and citrus from the soda impart themselves into the fish. Works with any species. My family actually likes it better than fish fry. But plan to cook more because it takes a lot of fish to fill you up when there isn't any batter to act as filler.
Gotcha, appreciate it. Will definitely give it a try.

Nomad, back to the tuning, first check where your carb is currently set, so you have a reference. Go clockwise, gently, till it bottoms, counting the turn & fraction thereof. Then open the Hi up about 1/4 turn past that, then tune as previously discussed.

On both my 044s, the factory settings were 1 turn out on both Hi & Lo, and 1/16 addl turn on each let them run great with the HD 2 filter & dp muff cover.

Looking great SVK, and looking forward to seeing you soon.

Mike,
I am a little confused. To check where the carb is set, I should turn the H screw to the right (leaner) until it bottoms out and then turn it a 1/4 turn to the left (richer) or return to my original setting and then turn it a 1/4 turn richer and start there?

The factory settings are not listed in the manual or maybe I am not making sense of them. They say to turn the H all the way to the right to the stop and the 1/4 turn back and then 1/8 turn leaner until it runs good. Which is the way I under stand them. Make it super rich and then work from there.

I did all the other muffler work but I cannot get the stinking internal baffle and cat out. I need a bigger hole saw. 7/8" is big enough to get the cat out but the internal baffle and cat broke lose in this muffler so I need to get both out. I need a 1" hole saw next to see if I can get both out. If I tune it properly, I hope the missing baffel wont cause issues. Chainsaw forum is a little slow today so I am still waiting for an answer to the question about potential issues with the removing the internal baffle and cat other than being loud.

If you can play "The Lumberjack" by Jackyl with your throttle switch, you are good to go! :chainsaw:

Seriously though, I am always a nervous wreck when I am tuning a "nice" saw. I scorched the piston in my SD116 and it really made me gun shy. When I was tuning my 361, I just took it reeeeeealy easy and in the end, I know it is running a touch too rich. I am not going to push it without a tach though. It is still one cutting sucker!
I like to describe the 4 stroke as a "burble". You hit the throttle and the saw is winding up, up, up and then it burbles at WOT. It almost always takes me two days to tune a saw. :p I get it close and shut it down. I come back to it the next day and then fine tune it to where I like it. It seems like my ear is "fresh" and I am more patient the second day.

Tomorrow, I think I will be able to finish all the splitting (and a little more cutting) at the location I've been playing with the last few weeks (one day/wk). Then off to other locations and delivering!

Picked broccoli from the garden for the second time this year, but this time there was so much we had to put some in the freezer. This weather is making the garden grow like a weed! Tomatoes and beans should be soon, then squash.

The Robbins are re using the same nest that had babies a few weeks ago. It was empty for a week or so, then the same nest was re occupied! This surprises me, I kinda thought they all did it at the same time. I guess not. Who knew Robbins were squatters!

Finally got the junk or of the muffler need to clean it up and reassemble. The back of the muffler is a little ugly because the 1 1/8" hole saw kept walking on me.

52a8c835b9630a73fbaae0d34f747e30.jpg

Well I got the little saw back together with MM. I followed mikes instructions and it sounds like it is running rich now. I havnt tried to tune the top H yet as it is a little early and I dont want to bother the neighbors. I did richen up the L about a 1/16 and the hesitation off of idle gone :rock2:.

Well a little while ago I finished with the the H at least for now. The empty can for a muffler surprisingly isn't that loud. But then again it is a little saw. I leaned the saw out 1/16 at a time until it mostly cleaned up in the cut. Then I richened it up a bit and did it all over again to make sure I didn't over lean it out. I am going to go back to it later today and make final adjustments but I think it is really close. The 4 stroking in the cut when the saw is too rich is really obvious.

Latest posts

Back