Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only worked 1/2 day today to finish up. Did a little cutting with the 362 of stuff already down and a few little dead standing ones, then finished up the splitting. That Black Birch is so stringy I think it may give Elm a run for it's money. The twisted grain pieces of it have given the splitter the hardest time of any of the wood processed so far.

The Oak in back of the wood pile, furthest to the left, will be the next victim of my saw. It has some rot at the bottom, and the wood peckers have started to work it. The base is over 30" diam and it is tall, but it will be for next year's wood, not enough time for it to dry for this year.

I continue to like that 3' Hard Maple handle I added to the splitter. Makes it so much easier to move no matter if you have one or two people, it provides addl leverage, and something you can put your hip into. The splitter came home today after spending several weeks at this site.

Enjoy the pics of pile #2.

Attachments

• wood7-17-15 001.jpg
    wood7-17-15 001.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 30
  • wood7-17-15 002.jpg
    wood7-17-15 002.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 31
You want run thr saw hard wot in the wood and shut it off after a few cuts. Dont let it just idle or cool down jusr shut it off. Pull the plug and the porcelain below the electrode is what you are looking for. Dark black is too rich, mocha is great and white is too lean. Make sure you make all adjustments when saw is ran and hot or else yoy will be wasting your time and significantly too rich when you do get up to op temp. Dont go off of plug color alone you want to hear 4 stroke to be safe but some saws 4 stroke differently like my echos 4 stroke kind of 'tighter' or not has aggressivly then my huskys....

If a saw is tuned right with quality mix, you should be able to (and not hesitate) to try and "kill it" so to speak... two strokes need to be ran and ran hard (in their temp range) to burn off excess fuel and properly lube the ring, cylinder, lower end and bearing/seals... basically don't be afraid (after you get tuned correctly) to run it hard (WOT) in wood and get her hot!

How am I doing. The other half of the plug is white. I richened it up a touch from this picture.

4ccce21de326fe68e356cf21bcee106a.jpg

Back