Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I really need a "stopper" gun, I have a Hastings cantilever rifled slug barrel for my 870 sighted in with the Hornady SST shells. They launch a saboted 50 caliber 300 grain bullet at 2,000 FPS, and I'm pretty fast with a pump action!
Exactly , what my .450 big bore was purchased for . My .45 acp. is convenient up close & personal . However , I prefer my bears down & cool to the touch 100 yds out !

Aren't those really grizzlys?

SR
Actually no , these are dedicated Coastal Browns . Sub species Grizzly & a few Kodiak ( much smaller in appearance) are encountered however its the Browns that concern me . I suppose their following the salmon runs inland . The Black bear activity along with Timber wolves had previously been the biggest predator threat to the Moose calving season although that has changed too . Now with the migration of these browns human interaction is a problem during peak hunting season up North .

Just had an offer for free wood from a co-worker. He had his property timbered last month. Said they cut everything standing dead, topped them and made a huge pile. Easy picking! Think it's two weeks till my schedule gets normal during the week then it's game on. He said a local guy took 14 trailer loads out and didn't even make a dent in the log pile. Told him I'd take whatever he wants to get rid of once we're back on normal shift times.
Guess I need to hurry up and get the concrete for the shop done so I can start on hauling wood again. 😁

Just had an offer for free wood from a co-worker. He had his property timbered last month. Said they cut everything standing dead, topped them and made a huge pile. Easy picking! Think it's two weeks till my schedule gets normal during the week then it's game on. He said a local guy took 14 trailer loads out and didn't even make a dent in the log pile. Told him I'd take whatever he wants to get rid of once we're back on normal shift times.
Guess I need to hurry up and get the concrete for the shop done so I can start on hauling wood again. 😁
Don't wait too long or @H-Ranch will haul it all away with his wheel barrow. 1692897608221.png

Don't wait too long or @H-Ranch will haul it all away with his wheel barrow. View attachment 1107382
It's been difficult this year with my work schedule to make time to get wood like I used to. Heck, I figured I'd have the structure of the shop up already and the roof on. Nope, didn't get hardly any morning shifts that weren't double shifts. Think it's a week and a half till we're 6-2:30 during the week again.

It's been difficult this year with my work schedule to make time to get wood like I used to. Heck, I figured I'd have the structure of the shop up already and the roof on. Nope, didn't get hardly any morning shifts that weren't double shifts. Think it's a week and a half till we're 6-2:30 during the week again.
I hope things at work go better so you can get that shop done and lots of wood. Work does get in the way, but so do bills.

I have wood for this year and next ready to go, so I'll be restocking my log pile at this point. Have off this weekend and (weather permitting) forms are going up and all the mesh/rebar is laying here ready to go. If everything goes well, I'm going to try and get concrete for Monday or Tuesday. (Again weather permitting and if I can get a few guys over to give a hand.) I'll do one side of the slab next week, then the other half in two weeks when I have off again. If everything goes to pot, then I'll just be taking off work and schedule concrete when I can get help. 2, 6 yard pours. So not a ton of work. My uncle has a power trowel I can use and dad still has all his floats and screeds so I should be set.

As I have posted before having problems with the evap system on my 04 Taco . At 510 miles it reset the computer and promptly threw a code . I’ve replaced the charcoal canister and several lines and put new clamps on all the rubber hoses and a new OEM gas cap . I’m getting ready to buy her a 25 year old truck and be done with all this emissions crap . NY doesn’t emissions test pre 98 vehicles just safety inspection . She wants a truck I tried to talk her into using the Cherokee I bought, nope ,

I have done the smoke test and found no other leaks and had a friends shop look at it and they found nothing either

Been to Kodiak, those bears make grizzlies look small ,
Oh yeah , all that fresh fish for the Browns & plant life & berries foraging for the primarily smaller Grizzlies along with scavaging what ever the Wolves kill lol. Same with the Black beers locally herbafors primarily unless they ambush a few fawns or moose calves . The Brush Wolves in Northern Ontario ( big coyote) species lately have been killing off some yearlings also of late . Time for a cull I think ! ;)

That's awesome Sean. Good score!

This came down overnight - it was actually suspended almost level on my mini-Montana gate and the tree until I cut it.
20230824_181020.jpg
I'm getting gravel delivered this weekend and it was just hanging over the area where I want it dumped... so off to the wood stacks with you!
20230824_183155.jpg20230824_184410.jpg
Sorry I only got 3/4 of a load on the last pic. I'll do better next time.

Well I thought they were logging right behind my cabin this summer....nothing yet. Found out that the contract with the county states they must cut by April of 25 so we may have these trees for another year.

Knowing they will be gone soon, I would rather just have them gone so we can begin the long process of regrowth.

I don't really need any more wood up there but they will be cutting about 80 acres so lots of tops to be had.

This came down overnight - it was actually suspended almost level on my mini-Montana gate and the tree until I cut it.
View attachment 1107441
I'm getting gravel delivered this weekend and it was just hanging over the area where I want it dumped... so off to the wood stacks with you!
View attachment 1107442View attachment 1107443
Sorry I only got 3/4 of a load on the last pic. I'll do better next time.
Good to see you are back trying to get this forum back on track. It's a big job, but I think you are back in form.

Picture added now.
This is the brand name of this tool that I just picked up used. It is the X-treme skid steer post/ tree puller made by CID Attachments. I just picked it up for $600. My wild multi flora Rose's are going to be history now along with all the Concord grape vines taking over my woodlot. New they are listed for $1755.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230824-192346_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230824-192346_Samsung Internet.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 0
Back