Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please send to me. I have a few various boxes of 30-30 and 25-35 ammo from them.

Steve
This article sums it up. If handloading the 160 grain FTX (still available) with LeverEvolution powder (also currently available) reducing the charge from the max of 35.5 grains to 34.0 grains duplicates the factory LeverEvolution velocities and provides much better accuracy and is still faster than 150 grain factory loads.

This was true in both the author's Model 336 (20" barrel) and my Model 94 (26" barrel). Matt's 94 (also a 26" barrel) liked the factory ammo and he was very impressed with how it performed on his hog.

Max loads (Hodgdon site) seem to be fine with traditional 150 and 170 grain bullets and provide a good deal more velocity than other powders. But the 160 grain bullet has a higher BC and seems to be very well contructed. Reducing the load to 34 grains with the 160 grain bullet cut my group size in half (from about 2" to 1" at 50 yds with the peep sight).

See attached:
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/7-high-performance-30-30-loads/84047

So my son who turned 16 on Monday still needs a few hours of behind the wheel before he can test. Last night the weather wasn’t very good so we did a few hours driving around back roads. Stopped at the cabin and did a little exploring and then went to a little tavern for dinner and met my other son there.

Getting to be harvest season, so I’m getting fresh goods from others and also starting to get a few tomatoes from my own plans. My plants aren’t very big but I have figured out what I need to do next year to have more yield. Just never have enough time. I need a wife who wants to garden lol.

The cool weather allowed me to run the oven overnight so I did some pulled beef in gravy.

Hope everybody has a great day!

View attachment 1107102View attachment 1107103View attachment 1107104View attachment 1107105View attachment 1107106View attachment 1107107View attachment 1107108
Pretty tough growing season for maters in your area. What varieties work up there?

Nice! For larger critters I have both a Model 95 (Browning Reproduction) in 30-06 and a Winchester Model 71 in 348 Winchester (mfg 1940) lever guns.

I did purchase some 200grain FTX bullets for the 348 when they were briefly available. Out past 100 yds, most of the larger bore stuff has less energy.

Kind of pissed that Hornady originally offered them as a reloading component, but now only sells the fully loaded ammo (if you can find it). In fact, you can't find any ammo or bullet heads for 348 (or 405 as my Nephew has one) from anyone!

So, I built my 338-06 with a Shaw stainless spiral fluted barrel on a Ruger American action. It will launch a Barnes 210 grain TTSX bullet at about 2,700 fps and often shoots that load into 1/2" at 100 yds, so it should be good for about anything!
Yeah , lugging my .378 magnum around the bush & swamps becomes tiring lol . The Marlin is nice an lite & has more than enough deterent out to 150 yds should Bullwinkle unexpectedly make an appearance , which actually occurred last yr . I had 405 gr. partition & the ballistics really did not compare realistically after 100 yds . I still have 200 gr. Nozler for deer if needed , however the Marlin is more of a camp gun . Bears have become a nuisance with Blacks everywhere & Browns moving North East here of late . The cancelled spring bear hunt seems to altered their normal native territory ?

Yeah , lugging my .378 magnum around the bush & swamps becomes tiring lol . The Marlin is nice an lite & has more than enough deterent out to 150 yds should Bullwinkle unexpectedly make an appearance , which actually occurred last yr . I had 405 gr. partition & the ballistics really did not compare realistically after 100 yds . I still have 200 gr. Nozler for deer if needed , however the Marlin is more of a camp gun . Beers have become a nuisance with Blacks everywhere & Browns moving North East here of late . The cancelled spring bear hunt seems to altered their normal native territory ?
Brown bears in Ontario???

Pretty tough growing season for maters in your area. What varieties work up there?
Pretty much everything works but you need to fertilize and water a lot. Otherwise they just won’t grow fast enough.

I’m a big fan of cherry and Roma. Ended up with Roma and plum this year.

If I really need a "stopper" gun, I have a Hastings cantilever rifled slug barrel for my 870 sighted in with the Hornady SST shells. They launch a saboted 50 caliber 300 grain bullet at 2,000 FPS, and I'm pretty fast with a pump action!
A 300 grain pill at 2k.. Man that's serious ! Hang on to that thang with both hands..

Did some cutting, splitting, hauling, and stacking tonight. Only got in one load of hauling so have two or three more ready for later this week. 20230823_193604.jpg
Also got a text from my neighbor lady asking if I wanted the wood from the big maple she's having taken down (of course I do!) Told her that I've been meaning to ask her about the cherry logs next to her driveway and several more in the woods next to the ditch along the road. These were left after the road crews went through doing some clearing. She replied, and I quote, "Oh yes yes yes please take them all!! 😂 The tree trunks by the road drive me crazy every time I see them. If I don't see you when you come over THANK YOU !" So... I guess I'm doing her a huge favor getting free firewood from her right next door. Gee, maybe I should ask her to pay me. ;)

Latest posts

Back