Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys

Got this like new mower for free, but it smokes excessively especially when running side hill. When you pull the oil cap, smoke comes out of there too. Could that be a blown head gasket?

View attachment 1183192
You bet, the gasket fails between the cylinder and the push rod gallery and compression blows right into the crankcase.

20230625_144831.jpg

People are going to call the fire department if I run this one. It’s smokes like there’s a house on fire lol.
Dad has an older Toro time cutter with a 16.5 Single Briggs on it. I used it at my first house for about a year, it randomly started smoking reeaall bad like that all of a sudden, especially on a hill. I figured it was the crank case breather letting it slug oil through the intake. got so bad one time that it was literally spewing oil out the muffler and even back fired one time off the atomized oil spray. I just kept it full and kept trucking since I did not have time to look into it while we were trying to sell the house. Never did determine the cause of it before I moved and took it back to his place. Pretty sure it has just been sitting since then.

You bet, the gasket fails between the cylinder and the push rod gallery and compression blows right into the crankcase.

View attachment 1183356
It all makes sense now, I bet this is what is wrong with dads. It would not smoke that bad until you put it on a hill with the left wheel down the slope. That would make all of the oil dip to the side where the gasket is failing between the cylinder and push rods make it really suck some oil in. I will have to revive that project now that I have some direction on where to look

It all makes sense now, I bet this is what is wrong with dads. It would not smoke that bad until you put it on a hill with the left wheel down the slope. That would make all of the oil dip to the side where the gasket is failing between the cylinder and push rods make it really suck some oil in. I will have to revive that project now that I have some direction on where to look
Mine was so bad it was puking oil out the muffler and sucking it up the impulse line into the fuel pump.

I'll try to provide some backup to @Brufab - he's been keeping scrounged wood pics sprinkled in the last few pages. This is previously scrounged wood that has been littered throughout the yard. Actually, I've done numerous loads in the last few weeks without pics. It'll be OK as long as nobody tells @Cowboy254 . 😉
20240611_201019.jpg

Well, I lost my favorite jerk bait on Sunday, had to replace it as I’m hitting the lake with my best buddy Mike tomorrow

Daughter wrecked the ATV, she’s fine, hopefully she learns to slow down a bit. Had to drag it off the tree when I got home

Split some wood tonight, that elm is still stringy as can be!!IMG_7481.jpegIMG_7496.jpegIMG_7495.jpeg

View attachment 1183356
So as an update I changed the oil and filter. Smoke was nonexistent when running normally but did smoke a bit on side hill (about 10% of what it had been the day before.) Wasn’t sure if that was just some residual oil burning off or what. I may order a head gasket anyway.

Well, I lost my favorite jerk bait on Sunday, had to replace it as I’m hitting the lake with my best buddy Mike tomorrow

Daughter wrecked the ATV, she’s fine, hopefully she learns to slow down a bit. Had to drag it off the tree when I got home

Split some wood tonight, that elm is still stringy as can be!!View attachment 1183420

If she's anything like kids when I was her age it is more likely that she'll figure out how to navigate the terrain at speed... Me... one of my moments was hitting a tree with a foot peg on a motorcycle and bruising my foot really bad... never hit it again by changing my line through that section of trail and at higher speed. I couldn't lean it over any more, and was already clearing the handle bars anyway, so a new line was needed. 😉

I got this beat up boat last fall to do a flower garden. Finally got it set up last night.

View attachment 1183487View attachment 1183488View attachment 1183489
I was amazed at how much black dirt that thing held. There must be about 4 yards in there.

I've got an aluminum boat to get rid of... was going to scrap it but maybe another raised bed for my daughter in law is an option... Just sent a photo to my son! Need some landscape fabric to line the bottom after drilling a bunch of drain holes!

Latest posts

Back