Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rough couple weeks here too - 94 yr old father went to hospital Fri.June 7th,bleeding internally,lost quite a bit,2 transfusions given late Fri while he was in the CCU (possibly 3 I dont remember) They cauterized a vein near the colon,got it pretty much stopped.Wanted to do colonoscopy but that was put on hold cause his existing heart issues (possible heart attack while in the ER,where he went to bathroom UNATTENDED) I was pissed! Recovering Saturday,in good spirits,talking normally with rest of family between sleeping a lot.
Sunday was the same,no further improvement,all of immediate family was present in late afternoon (except oldest grandson),even oldest niece's ex-husband showed up (Dad & rest of us always liked him,we kept in touch,he is a great guy,provider & father to the 2 teenagers,just him & my niece grew apart,couldnt stay together.They get along better now for some reason lol

Dad was his usual self - talking,telling stories (still very coherent later that day) but decided since nothing else could be done decided on Comfort Care - kinda like Hospice in a way - All his regular meds via IV would be stopped,the blood pressure machine & others would be turned off,only pain meds would be administered to him as needed.He explained all of this in his decision to proceed with Comfort Care,us 5 kids & Mom all agreed with it,told the nurse we would go along with his wishes. He passed away roughly 245AM Mon. June 10 - He basically went to sleep,wasnt in any pain & didnf suffer.

Which you cant really ask of a better way to go,IMO he went out the way he wanted - didnt suffer for weeks & months.The funeral was Tuesday June 18, with graveside service afterwards with playing of taps & a 21 gun salute (Dad was Korean War era Air Force veteran) by local veteran's group plus presentation of the folded American flag to Mom when they were done.

Being the youngest of the 5 children & living the closest to Mom & Dad,planning all the funeral arrangements,getting the financial stuff in order,plus all the phone calls to the VA & other companies was tasked to me,everything went OK without any problems,there was family meeting at funeral home before the service that went into great detail regarding all the procedures.Plus the choices regarding casket,vault,flowers,any additional items that are added to the final bill.

Mom said there's no hurry to sell the cabin & 10 acres of timber,the yearly taxes are cheap (something like $450/yr) and are wont be due again until Oct 2025 and the REC electric bill is like $35-40/month tops.Propane tank just filled in March 2024,that will last a couple years unless someone lives out there full time during the Fall/Winter months.Older siblings last week were pushing to sell the property already (they only visited it a few times in 43 yrs) but 3 of the oldest nieces/nephews were hesitant & especially me,I just about blew up,they hit a nerve with me) spent LOTS of time with Grandma & Grandpa there growing up,so lots of fond memories there - besides at the time the oldest niece & her older brother only lived 7-8 miles from the cabin until their late teen years back in early 90's,when their Dad (oldest brother) and his wife split up.

I was dreading this event,but its normal & something that all of us go through.I dont know that its any easier losing a parent when you are ''middle years'' or even retirement age,compared to it happening when you are younger.It still sucks.I miss him every day and Mom & my siblings,other family members do also.But I also know he did a good job raising his family & is looking down at all of us with pride,knowing we are doing what's needed to help Mom & each other.
I know your pain and I feel for you. But it sounds like your Dad had a full life and went peacefully on his terms. As for the cabin property, get together with the few others that want to keep it and pool resources and buy it. We had to sell my Dad's farm because the girls wanted the money. I was the only one that wanted to keep it and I couldn't afford it. This was the farm he plowed with a team of mules when he was a teenager. Luckily it went to his friends.

It’s really too hot to do anything outside .
Yeah, I thought that when you tackled drum brakes the other day. LOL. But work needs to be done, it's just happening at a slower pace. I must be building up tolerance though - I split and stacked 3 loads before a break this time. Lots of Crystal Light today and I may even find a popsicle or a bowl of ice cream soon.20240620_143042.jpg20240620_142216.jpg20240620_141536.jpg

I never assumed I was alone but I was surprised to find out how many elderly people lay in emergency departments, hospitals, rehab facilities and nursing homes with nobody visiting them or advocating for them... I'm sure its some combination of time, distance, resources, bad relationships, and being "the last man standing" at play. I'm not letting that happen... Commiserating with friends and family who were or are in a similar situation has proven useful from many perspectives. On that note, I need to have lunch and then get back on the phone and then head to the rehab facility... did a home visit and lawn mowing there this morning and will be back there later.

Thank you for the kind words.
Being through this with both my maternal grandparents, it's tough. Mentally,and physically. Only advise I can give is make sure you spend time keeping up your own health, both mentally and physically. It's easy to forget when you're taking care of someone else. Even just an evening going out with the guys will keep you in a better mental state.
My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Rough couple weeks here too - 94 yr old father went to hospital Fri.June 7th,bleeding internally,lost quite a bit,2 transfusions given late Fri while he was in the CCU (possibly 3 I dont remember) They cauterized a vein near the colon,got it pretty much stopped.Wanted to do colonoscopy but that was put on hold cause his existing heart issues (possible heart attack while in the ER,where he went to bathroom UNATTENDED) I was pissed! Recovering Saturday,in good spirits,talking normally with rest of family between sleeping a lot.
Sunday was the same,no further improvement,all of immediate family was present in late afternoon (except oldest grandson),even oldest niece's ex-husband showed up (Dad & rest of us always liked him,we kept in touch,he is a great guy,provider & father to the 2 teenagers,just him & my niece grew apart,couldnt stay together.They get along better now for some reason lol

Dad was his usual self - talking,telling stories (still very coherent later that day) but decided since nothing else could be done decided on Comfort Care - kinda like Hospice in a way - All his regular meds via IV would be stopped,the blood pressure machine & others would be turned off,only pain meds would be administered to him as needed.He explained all of this in his decision to proceed with Comfort Care,us 5 kids & Mom all agreed with it,told the nurse we would go along with his wishes. He passed away roughly 245AM Mon. June 10 - He basically went to sleep,wasnt in any pain & didnf suffer.

Which you cant really ask of a better way to go,IMO he went out the way he wanted - didnt suffer for weeks & months.The funeral was Tuesday June 18, with graveside service afterwards with playing of taps & a 21 gun salute (Dad was Korean War era Air Force veteran) by local veteran's group plus presentation of the folded American flag to Mom when they were done.

Being the youngest of the 5 children & living the closest to Mom & Dad,planning all the funeral arrangements,getting the financial stuff in order,plus all the phone calls to the VA & other companies was tasked to me,everything went OK without any problems,there was family meeting at funeral home before the service that went into great detail regarding all the procedures.Plus the choices regarding casket,vault,flowers,any additional items that are added to the final bill.

Mom said there's no hurry to sell the cabin & 10 acres of timber,the yearly taxes are cheap (something like $450/yr) and are wont be due again until Oct 2025 and the REC electric bill is like $35-40/month tops.Propane tank just filled in March 2024,that will last a couple years unless someone lives out there full time during the Fall/Winter months.Older siblings last week were pushing to sell the property already (they only visited it a few times in 43 yrs) but 3 of the oldest nieces/nephews were hesitant & especially me,I just about blew up,they hit a nerve with me) spent LOTS of time with Grandma & Grandpa there growing up,so lots of fond memories there - besides at the time the oldest niece & her older brother only lived 7-8 miles from the cabin until their late teen years back in early 90's,when their Dad (oldest brother) and his wife split up.

I was dreading this event,but its normal & something that all of us go through.I dont know that its any easier losing a parent when you are ''middle years'' or even retirement age,compared to it happening when you are younger.It still sucks.I miss him every day and Mom & my siblings,other family members do also.But I also know he did a good job raising his family & is looking down at all of us with pride,knowing we are doing what's needed to help Mom & each other.
Very sorry to hear of your Dad’s passing. You are right, it still hurts even though you know you’ve done all that you could possibly do. Time helps with healing but you’re still going to miss him.
My sincerest condolences to you, your Mom and family.

Dispatched 3 more today .little buggers dig up the plant roots and eat them . At least 15 this past week we’re overrun with them this year. View attachment 1185366
I just missed on a groundhog about a half hour ago. 1 for 2 this year. I need to sight in my Dad's single shot 22. I use to shoot groundhogs for a guy who let me hunt his property when I was a kid. His lane was an old RR road bed and they would burrow in the road bed making a mess to drive on. It was a deadly 22.

I just missed on a groundhog about a half hour ago. 1 for 2 this year. I need to sight in my Dad's single shot 22. I use to shoot groundhogs for a guy who let me hunt his property when I was a kid. His lane was an old RR road bed and they would burrow in the road bed making a mess to drive on. It was a deadly 22.
I use a .177 break barrel Ruger. Thing is real good on small game

410 works on them not much left to dispose of though

Dispatched 3 more today .little buggers dig up the plant roots and eat them . At least 15 this past week we’re overrun with them this year. View attachment 1185366
Yeah!!!
Get some!!!
I HATE those F-ers.
Come sneaking around my tomato plants, take *one* bite out of three tomatoes...
Bastages..

Here are some great machines. Let's see if I can load all the pictures.

Attachments

• 20240620_145841.jpg
    20240620_145841.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_145904.jpg
    20240620_145904.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_145959.jpg
    20240620_145959.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_150004.jpg
    20240620_150004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_150024.jpg
    20240620_150024.jpg
  • 20240620_150043.jpg
    20240620_150043.jpg

There is passive control happening at my parents' house... the mouse, vole, frog, toad and chipmunk populations are down.
IMG_6783.gif

I think the next two photos are the same snake... one taken outside the under house garage and the other taken in the entry to the storage room attached to the adjacent garage. This snake is actually smaller than the one on the patio.
IMG_6760.gifIMG_6819.gif

I'm not sure what got this snapping turtle. The turtle was in the unused dog run... the run has cement block walls on two sides and a block foundation on the other two. There are chain link fence panels with tubing frames around them. I cannot figure out how the turtle got in there... nor how whatever got it got in.... as the gaps between the blocks and fence are quite small. The turtle was in the middle of laying eggs when it was attacked... There are fox and coyotes around but I don't see how they could have scaled the fence or walls. The other possibility is a fisher... or raccoon but I don't know that a raccoon would attack a snapping turtle rather than come back and eat the eggs.... the eggs weren't touched.

IMG_6793.gif

If I think of it I'll try to get photos of the wildlife eating mulberries tomorrow... there were a bunch of squirrels and birds there today and my father mentioned that a bunch of deer have been there early in the morning and near dusk. I didn't smell fermented berries yet... 😉

Being through this with both my maternal grandparents, it's tough. Mentally,and physically. Only advise I can give is make sure you spend time keeping up your own health, both mentally and physically. It's easy to forget when you're taking care of someone else. Even just an evening going out with the guys will keep you in a better mental state.
My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
It was taking a toll on my health so I resigned from all my government appointments and roles in other organizations... I can always go back to them in the future (or not!) but there is only one chance to take care of my parents.

Hope things get better for you .

I’m going to mom’s tomorrow. She needs to go shopping and the bank . She still drives but would rather not . She turned 90 a few months ago
Thanks Mark. My mom was driving up until about 5-6 weeks ago... Dad had to stop 4-5 years ago as his vision deteriorated badly. He stopped driving his Corvette quite a while before that as he couldn't get in and out of it any more... he will be 90 in about 2 weeks. One time I was having dinner with a friend of mine, a physician, and I told her about my father still having his Harley and Corvette and how he couldn't get in and out of the Vette anymore. Her response was that there should be a law that all senior citizens must own Corvettes. She has medical and law degrees from Yale and has an interesting take on things at times. 😉

This is only a small amount of the tractors at the tractor museum at the College of the Ozarks in Branson, MO.

Attachments

• 20240620_113443.jpg
    20240620_113443.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_113112.jpg
    20240620_113112.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_113425.jpg
    20240620_113425.jpg
    867.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_113317.jpg
    20240620_113317.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_113155.jpg
    20240620_113155.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_113119.jpg
    20240620_113119.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_113209.jpg
    20240620_113209.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_113502.jpg
    20240620_113502.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_113514.jpg
    20240620_113514.jpg
  • 20240620_113542.jpg
    20240620_113542.jpg
Also at the College of the Ozarks in Branson. This is in another museum that is loaded with firearms, animals, birds, history of the Ozarks and many other subjects.

Attachments

• 20240620_152917.jpg
    20240620_152917.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_153413.jpg
    20240620_153413.jpg
  • 20240620_153328.jpg
    20240620_153328.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_153321.jpg
    20240620_153321.jpg
    954.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_153255.jpg
    20240620_153255.jpg
  • 20240620_153222.jpg
    20240620_153222.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_153119.jpg
    20240620_153119.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_152932.jpg
    20240620_152932.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240620_152914.jpg
    20240620_152914.jpg
  • 20240620_152139.jpg
    20240620_152139.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

So sorry for your loss. Lost my dad a few years back and there's nothing easy about it. You are on the right track. Be thankful for what he was to you and treasure the memories! Prayers my friend!

Back