Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ended up getting nothing done with the shop yesterday. Shortly after I got home I heard the chickens freaking out. Didn't think anything of it at first, we have 2 roosters and they have been pretty rpugh with the hens. Stuck my head out the side window and seen a black and white husky tearing up several of the chickens. Chased it off. Called the local cops and rounded up the rest of the chickens I could find.
Got a phone call back from one of the female officers. She was basically no help. Said there was a husky reported missing back in April in annville, but doubted it would be the same dog as we're pretty far apart. Asked her what I was supposed to do if it came back? She said It my right to dispatch an animal attacking anyone on the property or any live stock and pets. I pretty much told her the next time I see it it's dead.
Shortly after I got off the phone with her, my wife finally called me back. She had me count chickens. 7 were missing. Took me nearly till she got home to find them. 2 were dead, one was ripped up real bad. Ended up putting it out of its misery. After my wife and kids got home, we managed to get the rest of the chickens in the coop. There are 2 more that may not make it. I'll see how they are doing when I get home this afternoon. Not a great evening.
Had a little doggie eyeballing ours earlier this week, can't believe it waited for me to get the 17HMR out and let me open the back door. Only thing I can think is that it though I was the wife or kids and was letting the birds out for a bit as they do most every morning. If that's the situation, it had been casing the place for a minute.
20240616_073439.jpg20240616_073450.jpg
Not a bad shot from the house to the pond dam, if you look closely you can see it between the two trees just left of the centerofthe dam. It was a good bit from the chicken run, but I hit it dead center of its head from where I was shooting with its head turned slightly right, exactly where it would be when looking at the birds.
This is only the second yote I've seen at our place, the other was gone in a flash. I have seen quite a bit of sign and hear them on a normal basis.
Hope you get your doggie too.
20240616_073826.jpg

Yeah!!!
Get some!!!
I HATE those F-ers.
Come sneaking around my tomato plants, take *one* bite out of three tomatoes...
Bastages..
Two more while the coffee was brewing your right they damage the tomatoes and chew the flowers buds of the plants . Funny we don’t have any squirrels running around . IMG_8619.jpeg

Had a little doggie eyeballing ours earlier this week, can't believe it waited for me to get the 17HMR out and let me open the back door. Only thing I can think is that it though I was the wife or kids and was letting the birds out for a bit as they do most every morning. If that's the situation, it had been casing the place for a minute.
View attachment 1185496View attachment 1185497
Not a bad shot from the house to the pond dam, if you look closely you can see it between the two trees just left of the centerofthe dam. It was a good bit from the chicken run, but I hit it dead center of its head from where I was shooting with its head turned slightly right, exactly where it would be when looking at the birds.
This is only the second yote I've seen at our place, the other was gone in a flash. I have seen quite a bit of sign and hear them on a normal basis.
View attachment 1185498
I often hear them at night in the field but I haven’t seen one around the property during the day . Maybe because we don’t have anything they would be interested in

Rough couple weeks here too - 94 yr old father went to hospital Fri.June 7th,bleeding internally,lost quite a bit,2 transfusions given late Fri while he was in the CCU (possibly 3 I dont remember) They cauterized a vein near the colon,got it pretty much stopped.Wanted to do colonoscopy but that was put on hold cause his existing heart issues (possible heart attack while in the ER,where he went to bathroom UNATTENDED) I was pissed! Recovering Saturday,in good spirits,talking normally with rest of family between sleeping a lot.
Sunday was the same,no further improvement,all of immediate family was present in late afternoon (except oldest grandson),even oldest niece's ex-husband showed up (Dad & rest of us always liked him,we kept in touch,he is a great guy,provider & father to the 2 teenagers,just him & my niece grew apart,couldnt stay together.They get along better now for some reason lol

Dad was his usual self - talking,telling stories (still very coherent later that day) but decided since nothing else could be done decided on Comfort Care - kinda like Hospice in a way - All his regular meds via IV would be stopped,the blood pressure machine & others would be turned off,only pain meds would be administered to him as needed.He explained all of this in his decision to proceed with Comfort Care,us 5 kids & Mom all agreed with it,told the nurse we would go along with his wishes. He passed away roughly 245AM Mon. June 10 - He basically went to sleep,wasnt in any pain & didnf suffer.

Which you cant really ask of a better way to go,IMO he went out the way he wanted - didnt suffer for weeks & months.The funeral was Tuesday June 18, with graveside service afterwards with playing of taps & a 21 gun salute (Dad was Korean War era Air Force veteran) by local veteran's group plus presentation of the folded American flag to Mom when they were done.

Being the youngest of the 5 children & living the closest to Mom & Dad,planning all the funeral arrangements,getting the financial stuff in order,plus all the phone calls to the VA & other companies was tasked to me,everything went OK without any problems,there was family meeting at funeral home before the service that went into great detail regarding all the procedures.Plus the choices regarding casket,vault,flowers,any additional items that are added to the final bill.

Mom said there's no hurry to sell the cabin & 10 acres of timber,the yearly taxes are cheap (something like $450/yr) and are wont be due again until Oct 2025 and the REC electric bill is like $35-40/month tops.Propane tank just filled in March 2024,that will last a couple years unless someone lives out there full time during the Fall/Winter months.Older siblings last week were pushing to sell the property already (they only visited it a few times in 43 yrs) but 3 of the oldest nieces/nephews were hesitant & especially me,I just about blew up,they hit a nerve with me) spent LOTS of time with Grandma & Grandpa there growing up,so lots of fond memories there - besides at the time the oldest niece & her older brother only lived 7-8 miles from the cabin until their late teen years back in early 90's,when their Dad (oldest brother) and his wife split up.

I was dreading this event,but its normal & something that all of us go through.I dont know that its any easier losing a parent when you are ''middle years'' or even retirement age,compared to it happening when you are younger.It still sucks.I miss him every day and Mom & my siblings,other family members do also.But I also know he did a good job raising his family & is looking down at all of us with pride,knowing we are doing what's needed to help Mom & each other.
So sorry for your loss.

@sean donato . Be careful if you drive through E-town.:wtf:
View attachment 1185493
Doesn't surprise me one bit they left a pole like that. Good thing I have no real reason to run to e-town in the near future.
View attachment 1185496View attachment 1185497
View attachment 1185498
Good shot. We hear Coyotes and or fox at night pretty often, but have yet to have issues with them. Actually seen more red fox this year then yotes. Which is a first in many years. That stupid husky comes back it's game over for it. I spoke with several of the neighbors last evening. They are keeping an eye out for it. 2 of them will shoot it for sure. Only person that acted weird are the Mexicans that rent the place up the lane from me. Not bad people, but not really hillbillies either. The wife didn't seem to understand that we don't have animal control, and the local cops have better things to do then search for a feral dog. I was honestly a bit surprised, they have a young kid and 2 small dogs, but to each their own.

Well, the hinges I got for the big shop doors arnt going to work out. I didn't realize they are surface mount style hinges and not like a normal door hinge. Going to stop off at Paul b Zimmermans after work and see what they have to offer. My wife decreed she wants my stuff out of the basement before August is over, and I'm not moving my tool boxes out till I can lock the shop up. Won't clear out the man cave till the room is completely closed off and I have heat and ac to it. Don't want my reloading stuff getting rusty.
Which brings me to a question. Anyone have any experience with smaller cheaper mini split units, or know of a small wall mounted ac unit? Preferably something that won't break the bank. Heat isn't such an issue, but keeping the humidity down is a must.

Good morning folks. I haven’t been very active on this forum lately, but I’m still here. Been working on my truck and mowers and my grandmas farm, etc… It’s raining here right now.
I wish it would rain here. Nearly at the point we desperately need it.

Well, the hinges I got for the big shop doors arnt going to work out. I didn't realize they are surface mount style hinges and not like a normal door hinge. Going to stop off at Paul b Zimmermans after work and see what they have to offer. My wife decreed she wants my stuff out of the basement before August is over, and I'm not moving my tool boxes out till I can lock the shop up. Won't clear out the man cave till the room is completely closed off and I have heat and ac to it. Don't want my reloading stuff getting rusty.
Which brings me to a question. Anyone have any experience with smaller cheaper mini split units, or know of a small wall mounted ac unit? Preferably something that won't break the bank. Heat isn't such an issue, but keeping the humidity down is a must.
We have a Klimeaire in the office at the shop and my parents have one in their cabin. Both have been running for around 10 years. They heat and cool well.

3 inches this week with a predicted 4" over the next 24 hours. Can't get a dang thing done outside!
I'd take about 2 inches over a few days. Usually my yard is a swamp, but the grass is starting to die back, bare areas are getting cracked up. Been having to water the garden (which I almost never do.) And some freshly planted trees/shrubs daily now.
We have a Klimeaire in the office at the shop and my parents have one in their cabin. Both have been running for around 10 years. They heat and cool well.
Thanks ill look them up!

Two more while the coffee was brewing your right they damage the tomatoes and chew the flowers buds of the plants . Funny we don’t have any squirrels running around . View attachment 1185501
This is one of the varmits that was digging under the wood pile.. Wouldn't hold STIHL for a head shot.. Coyotes haven't been around for quite some time.. Sorry to read of that dog in the previous posts,,, was probably hungry.. Raising hell with the yard-birds will get you shot where I come from , hungry or not..

Attachments

• 20240430_191113.jpg
    20240430_191113.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
This is one of the varmits that was digging under the wood pile.. Wouldn't hold STIHL for a head shot.. Coyotes haven't been around for quite some time.. Sorry to read of that dog in the previous posts,,, was probably hungry.. Raising hell with the yard-birds will get you shot where I come from , hungry or not..
Have been putting off a job on a wood stove for awhile now.. Long story short, I decided to turn on the a/c in the garage and have at it. ( Welding angles for fire brick shelves to the outside of the firebox ). It's a big wood-furnace... First went to TSC, they had only 10. Decided to call on the phone instead of driving around,, Called Ace, then Home Depot, Then Lowes, then a hardware store next town over,, No one has firebricks.. Amazon has them at a fair price, delivered to the front door,,,, no driving to pick them up, load them, or sort thru the chipped ones... Would much rather buy @ the local hardware store.. but not to be.. Go figure.. You all needed to know that.. yuk yuk...

Have been putting off a job on a wood stove for awhile now.. Long story short, I decided to turn on the a/c in the garage and have at it. ( Welding angles for fire brick shelves to the outside of the firebox ). It's a big wood-furnace... First went to TSC, they had only 10. Decided to call on the phone instead of driving around,, Called Ace, then Home Depot, Then Lowes, then a hardware store next town over,, No one has firebricks.. Amazon has them at a fair price, delivered to the front door,,,, no driving to pick them up, load them, or sort thru the chipped ones... Would much rather buy @ the local hardware store.. but not to be.. Go figure.. You all needed to know that.. yuk yuk...
The best place to buy good firebrick around here is the local masonry supply house. They have the good bricks in full and split sizes at a reasonable price.

The best place to buy good firebrick around here is the local masonry supply house. They have the good bricks in full and split sizes at a reasonable price.
When I called the place closest to me , they were closed , ( a brick yard) not open Sat either.. I have to go out of town next week.. So next Friday I'm in the same pickle.. Amazon will have them on the back porch when I get back from the class I'm attending.. The men at the brick yard are a bunch of good dudes, but they are closed when I'm out of work..

When I called the place closest to me , they were closed , ( a brick yard) not open Sat either.. I have to go out of town next week.. So next Friday I'm in the same pickle.. Amazon will have them on the back porch when I get back from the class I'm attending.. The men at the brick yard are a bunch of good dudes, but they are closed when I'm out of work..
It's the same deal for me. I call them on my lunch break and have them set them outside the fence for me and pay with card over the phone. Next time I'm in a pinch I will check out Amazon.

AC tune up on the 85 . Just about half a small can of 134 was needed . Have to give it a shot every year but it seams to be getting less every year View attachment 118531193 outside right now
For all you auto guys, pressure on our suburban ac shows 45. Should it not be in the low 20's and if so how does one bring it down. Working but not so well.

Latest posts

Back