Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The state gets 2-3 dollars on each sticker depending if it’s a safety or emission’s don’t think that covers the cost . The inspection station loses money on vehicles that don’t need any repairs , real money maker all around

This made national news
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoharie_limousine_crash
Our stickers used to cost $2.00, they've gone up every year now for quite a few years, same with registration fees. Pendot no longer sends paper copies of your registration and stopped sending plate stickers years ago, because it saves them money, yet the bills get higher every year. Even emissions us just a money racket, if the check engine light is on, there's no point in hooking it up to the machine. If the check engine light isn't on, it will pass. Just another way to tax the people for no reason and pizz money away like it's going out of style and not maintaining the roads/Infilstructure like they should.

Our stickers used to cost $2.00, they've gone up every year now for quite a few years, same with registration fees. Pendot no longer sends paper copies of your registration and stopped sending plate stickers years ago, because it saves them money, yet the bills get higher every year. Even emissions us just a money racket, if the check engine light is on, there's no point in hooking it up to the machine. If the check engine light isn't on, it will pass. Just another way to tax the people for no reason and pizz money away like it's going out of style and not maintaining the roads/Infilstructure like they should.
Emissions is big here too . Check engine light on don’t even try to get a sticker . But here vehicles 25 years and older no emissions . And it rolls every year in a few years my Envoy won’t it will just be a safety at 18 bucks

Got him about 75 yards with the 30-06 ya I know overkill but I sold my plinking gun . Looking for something to replace it . One big fat woodchuck View attachment 1192047View attachment 1192048
No such thing as overkill. Dead is dead, unless you were planning on eating it!;)
Half the cars on the roads here would fail 🤪
Here too. There's lots of unibody cars with rotted rockers/subframe and full frame trucks with holes in the frames. It's not entirely uncommon to see this...Screenshot_20240721-174745_Google.jpg

Emissions is big here too . Check engine light on don’t even try to get a sticker . But here vehicles 25 years and older no emissions . And it rolls every year in a few years my Envoy won’t it will just be a safety at 18 bucks
It was supposed to be something like that here, but they (pendot) never went through with it. 1975 and older no emissions requirements, 1994/5 (pre obd2) is visual/gas cap check. Ob2 is plug in test and gas cap. (If it's got a gas cap.) They were supposed to wait so many years from when they started the emissions then the 75 was supposed to increase to 76,77 and so on till the obd2 vehicles were hit. It's a poop show here.

It was supposed to be something like that here, but they (pendot) never went through with it. 1975 and older no emissions requirements, 1994/5 (pre obd2) is visual/gas cap check. Ob2 is plug in test and gas cap. (If it's got a gas cap.) They were supposed to wait so many years from when they started the emissions then the 75 was supposed to increase to 76,77 and so on till the obd2 vehicles were hit. It's a poop show here.
At least they did it in NY . But it’s not actually done by model year it goes by the vin . My 98 Jeep was actually made in 97 so it was exempt in 2022 . So conversely a vehicle made in August of 1999 being inspected today needs emissions testing . If I were in that situation I’d just wait till August

PXL_20240721_224630002.jpg Speaking of sodium chloride, I got a new water softener today, oooh fun! 😂PXL_20240722_001528136.jpg
Also got a new string trimmer. Echo SRM 266. Was at home depot spending money I didn't want to on the water softener and my wife said we better look at weed eaters. I had the smaller 225 in my hand and she said are you sure that's the one? Don't cheap out. Wow that never happens so I grabbed the big un! 🤣
What an absolute weapon 🔪! Fired up and ran great right off the bat and I was loving the power. By the second tank of fuel there was a noticeable improvement. I felt like Brad Pitt in Hercules when he kills the giant dude in the opening scene. "Is there no one else?" "Are there no more weeds who dare defy me!!"

At least they did it in NY . But it’s not actually done by model year it goes by the vin . My 98 Jeep was actually made in 97 so it was exempt in 2022 . So conversely a vehicle made in August of 1999 being inspected today needs emissions testing . If I were in that situation I’d just wait till August

All OBD2 vehicles need to be tested in the seven emissions enforcement counties here in WI. Apparently emissions don't have any effect on the other 66 counties.:omg: They just check if the SES lamp works and then check for codes. We're a test center and we get paid $2 per test and $5 more if they register the vehicle with us. Definitely not a moneymaker but it brings new people to the shop which is beneficial.

All OBD2 vehicles need to be tested in the seven emissions enforcement counties here in WI. Apparently emissions don't have any effect on the other 66 counties.:omg: They just check if the SES lamp works and then check for codes. We're a test center and we get paid $2 per test and $5 more if they register the vehicle with us. Definitely not a moneymaker but it brings new people to the shop which is beneficial.
We have a few counties that don't get emission tested too, goes off population density or some other arbitrary reason. What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander lol.

No such thing as overkill. Dead is dead, unless you were planning on eating it!;)

Here too. There's lots of unibody cars with rotted rockers/subframe and full frame trucks with holes in the frames. It's not entirely uncommon to see this...View attachment 1192349
That's going to be my 2002 Z71 soon 😢 high mileage but everything works and still looking good but frame under cab is almost all gone 😭 doesn't even smoke at all with 315k still strong as heck 5.3

Here too. There's lots of unibody cars with rotted rockers/subframe and full frame trucks with holes in the frames. It's not entirely uncommon to see this...View attachment 1192349

Just pile up the scrounge near the tailgate and she'll be right :yes:

Would love to some day. My travels in the states have been limited to the NE
Consider it an open offer. We’ve got plenty of room for you (or any of the other fine scroungers on here).

I’ve been telling @MechanicMatt to come up and fish bass. We don’t have the big hogg largemouth like the boys down south but our smallmouth population is second to none.

In regards to inspections. JMHO from living in MN (no inspections, very bad salt/rust issues) and NY (inspections, moderate salt/rust issues)….I will say this: Inspections do keep unsafe junkers off the road. You should see the crap people drive up here! Also NY auto insurance is way cheaper than elsewhere due to whatever agreement they have with allowing carriers in their state.

On the flip side if you have a piddly issue causing a service engine or brake system light you’re doomed to expensive, unnecessary, and sometimes cost prohibitive repairs to pass inspections. Not to mention the expense and time needed for inspection.

Seems there could be a happy medium somewhere in between but we all know bureaucracies don't work that way.

Luckily, the Mustang has been running like a top for a while now, but some time back there was a small gasket leak between the SC and the engine resulting in a lean code. Because the error code was "delayed" they had lots of trouble finding it. I lost count of the number of things they changed thinking they had fixed it, only for the code (and me to the repair shop) to return! Items addressed included fuel pump and filters, sensors and the alternator. All that time and work, and it turned out to be a $30 (should have been $10) gasket. However, it was a proprietary item that had to come through Whipple! (so, there was also shipping)

Back