Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why wouldn't they want to do the repairs?
Any structural repairs done the shop/person that does them is on the hook for them meeting oem guidelines/ requirements for repair. Ie rocker panels, a,b,c pillars door frames, etc are structural, it's a liability if someone comes in and say patch it, just need to pass inspection. Same reason a lot of shops won't do frame work anymore, there's liability.

In regards to inspections. JMHO from living in MN (no inspections, very bad salt/rust issues) and NY (inspections, moderate salt/rust issues)….I will say this: Inspections do keep unsafe junkers off the road. You should see the crap people drive up here! Also NY auto insurance is way cheaper than elsewhere due to whatever agreement they have with allowing carriers in their state.

On the flip side if you have a piddly issue causing a service engine or brake system light you’re doomed to expensive, unnecessary, and sometimes cost prohibitive repairs to pass inspections. Not to mention the expense and time needed for inspection.

Seems there could be a happy medium somewhere in between but we all know bureaucracies do work that way.
The check engine light and brake/abs light don't specifically matter for inspection here. Abs isn't required to work, and the state had no procedure for a function test of the system. Basically it needs to move front and back and stop. Brakes system has the be mechanically sound otherwise. The engine light matters for emissions.

She graduated from the aviation academy her high school has as a summer program. She has a log book now and has flown 5 hours already
Outstanding.!!! She is in the BEST part of any career in flying.. It only gets more complicated and intricate.. If possible, try to get her in a tail dragger asap... It is the most fun and best experience possible. Everything from short field, obstructed, grass, hand propping,, on and on, real seat of your pants flying she will never forget. My best time was in a 1946 J-3..( Approx 130 hours.. I flew around 60 hours before ever seeing a radio and lights and stuff.. I wish I could do that again..

Put these wildlife pics up mostly for Mike.
We have some Moose (here in NY) in the Adirondacks, but for some reason when they come further South they get brain worm and die.

When I hunted up at 13th lake a few decades ago with my friend Harold, there was a young male running all over the place. I had always pictured them as sticking to flat terrain, but this thing went up and down slopes that truly impressed me.

FYI, we were in a tent in late October and it snowed! We heard blood curdling screams in the middle of the night and found the large wing of a bird about 100 yds from our tent. I sent a clear picture of it to NYS-DEP but they were unable to identify it. I put my Leatherman in the photo for context, and the wing made it look small.

They told me it was not an Eagle but could not tell me what it was. We also got to hear the Loons calling ... it was a memorable trip (they don't have Loons down here).

We had the same canoe that I had my grandson in the other day. I've had it for a long time. (Back then we just put our stuff in it and carried it to the campsite ... no canoe hauler!)

Consider it an open offer. We’ve got plenty of room for you (or any of the other fine scroungers on here).

I’ve been telling @MechanicMatt to come up and fish bass. We don’t have the big hogg largemouth like the boys down south but our smallmouth population is second to none.
Much appreciated. Smallmouth fishing is a blast. Pound for pound they are one of the scrappiest fish. Especially when they get into that 3lb+ range. Second only to striped bass IMO on the size vs. scrappiness scale.

Speaking of bass fishing. I started pouring my own Midwest finesse jigheads. The tackle shop is now charging around $8 for 4 jigheads. I don't know about you guys who fish, but I can lose twice that many in an outing working plastics on the bottom. I already had a Lee lead pot so all I needed was a mould.20240623_194427.jpg20240623_212754.jpg20240617_230105.jpg

Waytago! Glad to see another old one saved! I am pondering buying another H farmall with a bad engine. I need another one like I need a hole in the block. But if I don't save it, it will probably be melted down.
That is why we buy them. Can usually be had for scrap or $50-$100 over which is usually around $500. If they are complete basket cases they usually have enough parts on them to justify keeping them around in the wood some where. Dad has a the rear half of a '53 SC sitting behind his barn for over 30 years. People told him to scrap it for years but one day a few years ago we needed a shift fork out of it, invaluable IMO.

I paid $500 for this one and he gave me 2 good front tires for it.

Latest posts

Back