Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Steve - what lakes did you go into? We were up there over 4th of July weekend. Went in @ EP41 Brule Lake, came out Juno-Vern-Homer.
Fishing was a bit slow b/c there was a mayfly hatch on & that's all they were eating - leeches on a white jig head on a bobber was the trick for us.
Moose to Knife and Kekekabic. In the big picture, we weren’t very far away from you because we went in on the third.

Looks good . But they give you problems for panel rot? Here the body can be rotted and pass . But any rot to the frame will cause a failure.
We got a "tech bulletin" about 4 years ago now from pendot about body rot. Full frame vehicles can have some rot, but not to structural components, mono body vehicles can have no rot. If I recall it went into detail about what is deemed structural by the state, what is considered an acceptable repair etc. Basically if there's a rot hole, it should fail safty inspection.

We got a "tech bulletin" about 4 years ago now from pendot about body rot. Full frame vehicles can have some rot, but not to structural components, mono body vehicles can have no rot. If I recall it went into detail about what is deemed structural by the state, what is considered an acceptable repair etc. Basically if there's a rot hole, it should fail safty inspection.
Half the cars on the roads here would fail 🤪

Looks good . But they give you problems for panel rot? Here the body can be rotted and pass . But any rot to the frame will cause a failure.
Thanks. I did it myself as none of the body shops here will touch rockers, or wanted to book me out to October. I guess collision work is more profitable.
Yes, any open holes on body panels here will earn you an orange rejection sticker. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Half the cars on the roads here would fail 🤪
Half of them should fail here too. The only saving grace is there's a blurb that the individual inspection officer can use "good judgment" to determine if a vehicle is safe or not in the inspection book. The bulletins usually come out after crash data shows something is trending for one reason or another or there is a large number of public complaints. Every other year we get one about aiming headlights, when in truth 90% of the issue is modern cars have brighter headlights, and people don't turn their high beams off. 5% aftermarket headlights (which there is a bulletin about, testing proper light color, candelpower, dot compliance etc.) And 5% where the headlights are actually out of alignment.

Thanks. I did it myself as none of the body shops here will touch rockers, or wanted to book me out to October. I guess collision work is more profitable.
Yes, any open holes on body panels here will earn you an orange rejection sticker. Kind of silly if you ask me.
I've been told it's a liability thing for body shops not wanting to patch rockers and cab corners. Why they give a crazy quote to replace the entire thing.

So Penn finally discovered that salt rusts vehicles? Good to know your up to 1960 standards. Next up they will be advising to do hot oil undercoating or Ziebart

So Penn finally discovered that salt rusts vehicles? Good to know your up to 1960 standards. Next up they will be advising to do hot oil undercoating or Ziebart
Nah, we've known vehicles rust since the model T lol.
As far as inspection goes, the guidelines were many made years ago (when they decided they wanted to make more money.) they don't really update them much even though the book is "updated" every few years. I suspect since it was originally created at a time that (most) all vehicles were full frame, mono body vehicles and what's structural on them/acceptable rot limits weren't considered. Add in a lot of people keeping old vehicles longer with the cost of new or newer used cars, and I'd assume some sort of government study too, they came out with the tsb. It is what it is I guess. I know I'll drive some pretty rough stuff, but my name is on the Inspection sticker too, and usually it's a one way trip to the scrap yard when I'm done with it. If something is missed during inspection the inspector can be held liable, so even before the tsb it was prudent to make sure nothing wad too rotten.

The vehicle inspections you guys have to deal with out east are just a big money making racket for the states. Big brother doesn't give a damn about your safety.
Yep, and nope they don't care one bit, unless they can pin something that went wrong and caused an accident back on the inspector.

The vehicle inspections you guys have to deal with out east are just a big money making racket for the states. Big brother doesn't give a damn about your safety.
The state gets 2-3 dollars on each sticker depending if it’s a safety or emission’s don’t think that covers the cost . The inspection station loses money on vehicles that don’t need any repairs , real money maker all around

This made national news
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schoharie_limousine_crash

Got him about 75 yards with the 30-06 ya I know overkill but I sold my plinking gun . Looking for something to replace it . One big fat woodchuck
Last one I got was a #12 3/4 oz slug from in the garage. Did everything but hang him. Laid out and gutted all at once. Detonation in the garage was not a good thing.... But it DID solve the problem!

Cost me seven yards of fly ash concrete to fill his washout under the driveway.

Sure, man. 2-3 dollars x the millions of registered vehicles in NY, ads up pretty nicely for the state. But give them your cash if it makes you feel better. After all you're saving lives.
I don’t think they get the stickers for free . They are not making money on inspection stickers Crap my 3500 dodge inspection is 18 bucks . Takes a good 30 minutes .

Even my DMV registration's are pretty cheap compared to other states two year on my 3500 with commercial plates is around 150 bucks . I know people paying three times that for a 1500 truck in other states

We’ve had this discussion before not going into again

You keep believing what you want

Latest posts

Back