Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning fellas. Just got done spraying our little orchard. This year's been terrible with blights and various other fungal disease. I spray once a week or after every rain with neem oil and copper fungicide. This used to take me 2 hrs with a pump sprayer when trees were smaller now I can do it in 45 minutes and get better coverage with this rig.20240724_061507.jpgHope everyone has a fantastic day!

Hey SS396/Mark, ever eat there??

I can NOT believe how good the steak was!!

I had written them off as a Hippie joint, but WOW can they cook

Wife was tired of all the other spots in town so we gave them a second shot, so glad I did View attachment 1192911
Yes I have . My wife and the owners are very good friends . Yes the food is fantastic. Basically the only place I go to eat out in the area .

I stopped a Danny’s in Wortsboro when I came back from Tennessee. They have some good food for a bar

Shift shaft seal (say that three times fast ) was leaking on my 72 . I had the transmission rebuilt a few years ago either they didn’t replace it (most likely) or used a 10 cent replacement because the rubber was hard as a rock .IMG_8795.jpegIMG_8797.jpegnew seal driven home IMG_8798.jpegthis is the tool I used PMD products part #9250 worked flawlessly IMG_8799.jpeg

Lost a bowfin tnite who bit through the 20lb fireline with Gamakatsu octopus and a fat earthworm. I was stunned. Hate losing a hook to a big fish.
It's like adding insult to injury. Losing a big fish is bad enough. I run 150lb fluorocarbon leaders for musky just because the lures are so expensive.

It doesn't happen too often but occasionally a big pike will hammer a walleye or panfish lure and slice the line right off.

One time I caught a 38" pike (released because it outside of pike season) while fishing trout. Was also bitten off 3 more times in that spot that day. Really need to go back to that spot during pike season.

People that lived at my house previously sent me some photos of the old barn that used to be on the property. He claimed that the foundation was failing and it was not safe to be around, but looking at these pictures I must say I disagree. I feel like I could have saved it, especially with some of the stuff we have had to do to the house, like rotten rim joist replacement on a load bearing wall.

Part of the structure was held together with wooden pins, no clue how old it was but was probably original to when the house was built or maybe even before.

1721912515297.png

1721912608075.png

Had a busy week so far, work and at the house. Worked the late shift Saturday to Tuesday. Tuesday turned into a stay over from the late shift to get a gear box swapped out. Ended up leaving work around 8am and started on the gearbox around 11:00pm the night before. Thought I'd get some sleep after I got home, dogs were all being a pain and wouldn't let me sleep, then dad called and said this buddy had more insulation. Said f-it at that point and got dressed again and ran over to dad's place with the truck. Ran to his friends house, hung out there for a couple hours. Good guy, I'm gonna owe him big one day. Filled the back of the truck up with insulation, then proceeded ro ask me if I needed/ wanted any pex, then conduit, wire etc.. the truck was full already, but I said I'd take the roll of pex and whatever conduit he wanted to get rid of. His wife came out and said he should show me around the house garage, huge rolls of 10-3 with pull line attached for well pumps, direct burial 12-2 and 14-3, misc rolls of 6 through 12 ga thhn wire. Basically said I could take whatever I needed for the shop. His wife wants everything gone so she can park her car in the garage, he's retired contractor and his shop was his last project. He's going on vacation for a week and a half, so in 2 weeks I'll hook back up with him and get the other stuff he said I could have. I sure am thankful, he wouldn't take a dime for anything. Said he was just happy someone wanted the stuff and didn't want it to go to waste.

I've been traveling around for a while, now that I'm home I bought a new ride,

Resized-20240725-105752-S.jpg

It has some pretty good improvements over my old one.

SR

I may get chastised for this, but I'd love to find a 4x4 electric UTV.....that I could afford. It would strictly be used for chores around my property. No extensive idling between stops especially during the winter when it is cold and I don't want to shut the engine off to prevent multiple cold starts and a drain on the starting/charging system.
Short trips and multiple start/stops is one of the few areas BEV has an advantage over ICE.
Someday....

I may get chastised for this, but I'd love to find a 4x4 electric UTV.....that I could afford. It would strictly be used for chores around my property. No extensive idling between stops especially during the winter when it is cold and I don't want to shut the engine off to prevent multiple cold starts and a drain on the starting/charging system.
Short trips and multiple start/stops is one of the few areas BEV has an advantage over ICE.
Someday....
My uncle uses an electric club car golf cart in his farm. It's the carryall 500. He loves it, but it doesn't get used hard over winter, can't keep the batteries charged for an entire day of use. It's still flooded batteries, he didn't go for the lithium option. "Don't trust it and too fxxxen exoensive!" His is only 2wd, they do make a 4x4 version, but it's a bigger model.

Someday....
My buddy has a Polaris Ranger EV and loves it. It certainly is nice for running around the farm and hunting.

My uncle uses an electric club car golf cart in his farm. It's the carryall 500. He loves it, but it doesn't get used hard over winter, can't keep the batteries charged for an entire day of use. It's still flooded batteries, he didn't go for the lithium option. "Don't trust it and too fxxxen exoensive!" His is only 2wd, they do make a 4x4 version, but it's a bigger model.

4x4 definitely complicates the search. Range would not be an issue for me as I'd probably not run more than a mile or 2 collectively in a day. My property is on the small end at 16 acres. I do agree that batteries are an added expense, but we have electric 48v Cushmans at work with flooded cell batts that see round the clock use and poor maintenance, IE more often than not when someone thinks to check the water level the cells are bone dry, and we still manage to get several years out of a set. The newest models are 2016 and still original and still hold a good charge, not bad in my book.
As far as repairs go even my old Honda has required some somewhat expensive engine related repairs over the course of 20 years. Timing chain, torque converter and seals, chain tensioner (x2)

Cost of doing business.

My new engine has developed an oil leak . I put dye in the oil and found it’s coming from the intake manifold . I called Blue Print motors they opened up a warranty claim . Told me I could do it myself or have a shop do it . They would send whatever parts were needed and pay the flat rate book time . Would rather not do it myself with all the other stuff going on . It’s not a bad leak I can still use it . So maybe I can do it in the fall

Someday....
Kubota 500 would be perfect for that use or the latest version 520, start/stops no problem at all.

SR

Kubota 500 would be perfect for that use or the latest version 520, start/stops no problem at all.

SR

The bad thing about start/stop operation, which is further exacerbated by cold weather, is fuel dilution due to the engine never properly heating up allowing the rings to seal properly. An engine can survive under said conditions for many years, my Honda is 20 and counting, but it doesn't negate the downfall of operating a gas engine outside of its optimal parameters. I make up for it by doing annual oil changes despite relatively low engine hr usage. I'm not a fan of the big push for BEV but do feel there is a limited window where they have an advantage, and this is one of them.

Latest posts

Back