Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone put a horizontal shaft engine on a vertical shaft log splitter? My Brave 22 Ton currently has a used 6.5 HP B&S vertical engine on it. I'm still having problems with it after replacing the pump. I've adjusted the control valve all the way back and forth and the engine still dies at full stroke or when it hits a hard log. Are there any adjustments on the pump itself?
https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Hydrau...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

What are the hex nuts on the pump for? Drain valves?

I'm not sure about the orientation of the HF engine of the horizontal version versus the vertical. Vertical is $100 more.
https://www.harborfreight.com/65-hp-212cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-69730.html

My arrangement:
IMG_3012.JPG

Has anyone put a horizontal shaft engine on a vertical shaft log splitter? My Brave 22 Ton currently has a used 6.5 HP B&S vertical engine on it. I'm still having problems with it after replacing the pump. I've adjusted the control valve all the way back and forth and the engine still dies at full stroke or when it hits a hard log. Are there any adjustments on the pump itself?
https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Hydraulic-Splitter-11GPM-Splitters/dp/B0CYH14FN3/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2OZ8HGA5X2MKF&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Ksmno5GLB71XbeNpItO1Cd4qDqC9ufdcWPUNO6KzXeojqmoPcnzO1XuqTwUfNlT-Rp4cY9AJattOMd-tKgAS4FQGG05rdm7nMT8sKcpvcUD3SLrhcsOGsIkYWeW5lAjn5x_1Kfq1Xzdth7BPqFSFeFGf0MP3WBgHNjD0ITTCOvnT0aDB5AlZ3aEivdKcrEOudoEWNBxfM3hBezuC9dn6K4Zo4hQWUAZkKe7AkoeG-mM.KDt39jgPKgxNC3I7LdLy87gOZrsbBlwVAb0asGE_qHY&dib_tag=se&keywords=hydraulic+pump+mount+for+log+splitter&qid=1724235723&sprefix=hydraulic+pump+mou,aps,150&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

What are the hex nuts on the pump for? Drain valves?

I'm not sure about the orientation of the HF engine of the horizontal version versus the vertical. Vertical is $100 more.
https://www.harborfreight.com/65-hp-212cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-69730.html

My arrangement:
View attachment 1199164
The pump doesn't care either way, just need to make sure it's low enough to have oil flowing to it out if the tank. Honestly though, I'd just spend the extra money and get the engine that will bolt on. You'll spend more time and money changing brackets and hoses to make the horizontal engine work.

Tractor rides are great fun. How long was this one? I was on the 15th and 20th Great Iowa Tractor rides, and a few others. There are 2 days of about 200 miles and Sunday is 120 to 150 miles. The Titan/Big Show Tractor Ride rear tires are great. If you have to buy rears, I highly recommend them. I'd like to organize a tractor ride in N WI/ MI U.P.

Hello Gents! Dang it's be a long time! Hope all is well with everybody here.
Well then, strait to the point. I did a small treejob yesterday and have no idea what kind of tree it was I did the work on. I was wondering if any of you hardwood guys might know by looking at these pictures. The customer did not want to keep the trunks for firewood like many customers here on Kodiak do, so I kept them. 🤔 I think it is some kind of Birch wood, but I'm not too sure. Any ideas guys?

20240820_111137.jpg
20240820_111052.jpg20240820_111058.jpg20240820_111149.jpg20240820_111155.jpg20240820_184056.jpg20240820_111047.jpg

The pump doesn't care either way, just need to make sure it's low enough to have oil flowing to it out if the tank. Honestly though, I'd just spend the extra money and get the engine that will bolt on. You'll spend more time and money changing brackets and hoses to make the horizontal engine work.
You're probably right. Just thinking out loud, considering my options. That dang engine shakes so bad that it shakes loose the three bolts holding the top ring the gas tank is mounted too. Also, the carb bolts come loose. Re-tightened the carb and ring so I should be good to split tomorrow.

I went to my skidding job today, what a mess! An excavator broke off, dug out and made a huge mess piling trees and the owner now wants the pile pulled apart and the logs cut out.

Here's some of them,

Resized-20240821-160859-S.jpg

There's stumps to cut off and deal with too,

Resized-20240821-123854-S.jpg

Like I said, what a mess, but I'll be back on the job tomorrow!

SR

I went to my skidding job today, what a mess! An excavator broke off, dug out and made a huge mess piling trees and the owner now wants the pile pulled apart and the logs cut out.

Here's some of them,

Resized-20240821-160859-S.jpg

There's stumps to cut off and deal with too,

Resized-20240821-123854-S.jpg

Like I said, what a mess, but I'll be back on the job tomorrow!

SR
Work? That looks like fun!!
Your toys/tools make it look like an easy job
Good tools make it go smoothly

Hello Gents! Dang it's be a long time! Hope all is well with everybody here.
Well then, strait to the point. I did a small treejob yesterday and have no idea what kind of tree it was I did the work on. I was wondering if any of you hardwood guys might know by looking at these pictures. The customer did not want to keep the trunks for firewood like many customers here on Kodiak do, so I kept them. 🤔 I think it is some kind of Birch wood, but I'm not too sure. Any ideas guys?

View attachment 1199254
View attachment 1199255View attachment 1199256View attachment 1199257View attachment 1199258View attachment 1199259View attachment 1199277
Kodiak, not sure on the tree ID, I’m just glad to hear from ya. It had been too long. Was worried something had happened to you

Played with wood tonight, but this goes on a boat transom and not in the fire. Converting this one to a long shaft configuration because we have a number of long shaft motors and no small boat to run them on.

Glued a 3/4 and 5/8 sheet together for the main interior plate and secured with screws to belt and suspender everything. Thought I had gray marine paint somewhere in the garage, but couldn’t find it so I’ll have to pick some up tomorrow.
IMG_1327.jpegIMG_1330.jpegIMG_1331.jpegIMG_1333.jpeg

Sean donato
Have you put a gauge in line to see if the relief in the valve is working and dumping pressure?
Not me, James is having the issue. I'm pretty sure he's at the point where the engine is all that's left. Been having issues with it for a while.

Not me, James is having the issue. I'm pretty sure he's at the point where the engine is all that's left. Been having issues with it for a while.
Thank, yes, that's me. I did put a gauge in line as @hunter72 suggested and it's working fine. I posted periodically here about it. Should have started a separate thread. I think I piece together everything in a new thread.

Attachments

• 20231003_171005.jpg
    20231003_171005.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231003_171042.jpg
    20231003_171042.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231003_171021.jpg
    20231003_171021.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 0
Tractor rides are great fun. How long was this one? I was on the 15th and 20th Great Iowa Tractor rides, and a few others. There are 2 days of about 200 miles and Sunday is 120 to 150 miles. The Titan/Big Show Tractor Ride rear tires are great. If you have to buy rears, I highly recommend them. I'd like to organize a tractor ride in N WI/ MI U.P.
This one was about 40 miles. Started at 10 and we were back around 4 with an hour lunch stop. A lot of the route was gravel which is nicer to the rubber, but the tires on our stuff are so old and hard the pavement does not mess with them as bad. I have seen those rears and thought they looked interesting, we use ours for farm work too so not sure how those ride tires would do out in the field, probably have to have them on a separate set of rims

Here is something I saw on my travels yesterday. Sorry the foto isn't great, but just in case anybody likes tractors around here.
View attachment 1199377
Late model VAC-?? Case. I should know the -## but I would have to pull my book out. Dad has 3 VAC-14s

This is the first one I ever drove. The -14 denotes a lower operator station, notice how much lower the running boards and steering wheel are on this one. Only about 7500 were made.

1724333131390.png

This one was about 40 miles. Started at 10 and we were back around 4 with an hour lunch stop. A lot of the route was gravel which is nicer to the rubber, but the tires on our stuff are so old and hard the pavement does not mess with them as bad. I have seen those rears and thought they looked interesting, we use ours for farm work too so not sure how those ride tires would do out in the field, probably have to have them on a separate set of rims
Ride tires do ok in the field. We used to have an antique tractor show/plow event every year. Part of it was parading around through town and finishing up in a field and plowing it. They didn't self clean quite as well as a normal r1 but didn't seem to affect operation in normal soil conditions.

Back