Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He’s going to go to a welding school in Wyoming after he graduates. He’s does go to BOCES after school during the school year . He is an honor student and is eligible to graduate a year early but he wants to graduate with the kids he grew up with so his last year will be collage courses .

Side note my machinist closed up you know anyone that does quality head work . I’ve heard Ericks in Carmel is good .
Precision Engine, ask for John Finnley. Tell him you’re Matt Noviello’s pal.

They are located in Middletown, New York

Precision Engine, ask for John Finnley. Tell him you’re Matt Noviello’s pal.

They are located in Middletown, New York
Thanks unfortunately the heads aren’t worth fixing . Two intake guides are bad so that means all need to be done . I could have them bored .010 over then get new valves or put bronze guides in . So by the time all said and done it’s over $ 700. And the heads are 75cc smog heads so not at all worth doing at that price . Couple hundred more and I could get new 64cc heads all assembled .

I could order another blue print engine but I’m leaning towards just having the 327 rebuilt I got a couple of quotes that are under $4k depending on the condition of the block ,engine runs but is real tired .

it's a sad state. I'd leave, but the pay is good for our area and I can leave if something happens at home and they will call another guy in to cover the rest of my shift. Other then that it sucks to work here.
In that case the perks outweigh the ignorance. The only other option is to train the knuckleheads to work better. If that doesn't work talk to somebody up high that will take notice. I spent 20 years in a manufacturing company. At one point I had 10 CNC machines and the operators under me. I did most of the setups on the machines and handled any crashes. Anyone that messed with the tool settings or speed and feed controls got reprimanded. If it continued they were gone. If they came in with the smell of booze they were sent home. One guy I got fired because he came in drunk and wouldn't leave. I finally got him out of the building. We had no plant supervisor on that night. The next night the supervisor asked me what happened. I told him and he walked the guy out with his toolbox. If a guy could not do the job hired for. I would have the supervisor look into it and move the guy to an easier to operate machine and a lower pay grade. On one machine I previously ran the guy on 2nd shift could never finish a setup. I followed this guy for 2 years. One night I finally blew up and told his boss that he was a f--king slob and a useless POS. We set this guy up with a complete setup that takes 7 hours to do. This involve replacing and setting jaws on an 8 station rotating table that had a horizontal milling head at station 2, a horizontal core bore drill and vertical drill where the vertical drill had to get in and out of the part before the horizontal drill got to the center of the valve body that we were making at station 3. Station 4 had an outside roughing form tool for the valve bore. On the inside of the machine was a double head that would go into the back on the valve to rough it out, retract and send in the finish size form tool before the outside tool would get to the rough depth of the bore. Otherwise the two tools would meet and melt into each other. While they were working, there were 2 vertical drills to drill 2 bonnet holes in the bonnet and 2 more drills drilling 2 more bonnet holes in another part at station 5. Station 6 had a horizontal head for a semi finish form tool for the valve bore and a vertical drilling spindle with a finish reamer to finish off the valve stem hole. The stem tool had to be out of the valve body before the form tool got in the center of the valve or they would collide. Station 7 has two vertical tapping spindles and and outside horizontal head that would do the finish boring of the valve bore. Station 8 had the other 2 vertical tapping spindles for the bonnet holes plus an inside and outside horizontal collapsing taping heads to thread the inside of the valve body. The outside tapping head was usually between 1 1/4" to 2" fine thread. The internal tapping head was was pipe thread 3/4" to 1 1/2". Everytime you hit cycle start all these heads went in at once to do their operation. At station 1 you would unclamp the jaws and take out a completely machined part and insert a raw casting and clamp it. Hitting the cycle start buttons would rotate the table one position clockwise and all the heads would go in again and another finished part would come out. This worker could never finish a setup. The boss pulled the 1st shift guy and myself off the machine to make this guy set it up by himself. Four days later he still didn't have it running. He was removed from that work center and dropped 3 labor grades. This machine was called a Pittler. It was a one of a kind machine made for Jamesbury Valve Corp in Worcester, Ma. It was about 14 feet in diameter and 10 feet tall. The table was 8 feet in diameter
The base and turntable motors were below floor level and a real pisser to work on. The machine was brought into the company and built in place. It could make around 100 - 120 carbon valve bodies a shift and about 70 - 75 stainless steel bodies a shift.

A picture of the Cabin Bathroom construction we started earlier this week, and a picture of my Buck's venison backstrap ... have had it at 4 times over the last 2 weeks, delicious!

Attachments

• IMG_20240821_162814789_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240821_162814789_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240819_171731919.jpg
    IMG_20240819_171731919.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Yogi is my latest addition to my Man Cave, eleven months after being taken, along with my dog and cat, and my first archery buck. It also includes two of my three gun cabinets.

Attachments

• IMG_20240824_001812875_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240824_001812875_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240824_001835761_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240824_001835761_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240824_001844754_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240824_001844754_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240824_001917896_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240824_001917896_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Further proof that WD40 packaging is junk. 5 dysfunctional cans from the FIL's barn. I already had a great dislike for the stuff for the same reason, but I will NEVER buy it again. I bet I've wasted at least a dozen cans over the years with broken tubes, clogged nozzles, lost charge, etc.
20240824_101423.jpg
I did scrounge a few items out of the chemical waste bins that the BIL put together for me to take to the county recycling event today. 👍

Further proof that WD40 packaging is junk. 5 dysfunctional cans from the FIL's barn. I already had a great dislike for the stuff for the same reason, but I will NEVER buy it again. I bet I've wasted at least a dozen cans over the years with broken tubes, clogged nozzles, lost charge, etc.
View attachment 1199866
I did scrounge a few items out of the chemical waste bins that the BIL put together for me to take to the county recycling event today. 👍
Punch a hole in em and drain it into a container. Just point it away Incase there is any pressure in there.

Punch a hole in em and drain it into a container. Just point it away Incase there is any pressure in there.
Nope, I'm done with them, they all went to county recycling I shouldn't have to perform any herculean tasks to use their product. Once or twice... OK. (And I have done that before.) But it has happened way too many times. DONE!
20240824_101423.jpg

I buy the gallon cans and pump spray bottles ( those don’t last forever, either, but less expensive, overall).

I also tape 1/2” of foam insulation to the cans I do have, then slide the plastic tube there for storage.

Pevents loss and breakage. Same with similar, aerosol products.

(Will post a photo later).

Philbert

Latest posts

Back