Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, I'm done with them, they all went to county recycling I shouldn't have to perform any herculean tasks to use their product. Once or twice... OK. (And I have done that before.) But it has happened way too many times. DONE!
View attachment 1199904
Seafoam deep creep is my go to penetrant/lubricant these days. Normally its about $14/can but I can catch it on sale at Napa for around $8 or if I am near a Rural King they always sell it at $8 and some change. I just stock up on it when I find it on sale.

Unfortunately, it looks like the EAB has pretty much won!!!

All those restrictions on transporting firewood (most of which have not been repealed) failed to do anything to slow it down!
I have so many dead Ash trees on my property from those stupid things. several that were close to 100 years old and a couple still standing that are probably well over 100. Every time the wind blows there is a new one blown over some where.

Yesterday I was mowing my woodlot when a branch came down in front of me. The 24" Ash that it fell out of is now transformed into firewood. That one tree filled up 2 bins plus a bit extra. These bins hold .43 of a cord tightly packed. The mess is all cleaned up now.
I've several people starting to use those tote bins for wood although I think they just threw the wood loose into them. If you have the room and a way to tip them over they look like just the ticket

Seafoam deep creep is my go to penetrant/lubricant these days. Normally its about $14/can but I can catch it on sale at Napa for around $8 or if I am near a Rural King they always sell it at $8 and some change. I just stock up on it when I find it on sale.
Get a $1 spray bottle at Dollar general and use 50/50 used transmission fluid/acetone. Works great. If you have the time Kroil works. I got 4 cans for $1 at an estate sale where I picked up a RCBS ProMelt for $20.

I have so many dead Ash trees on my property from those stupid things. several that were close to 100 years old and a couple still standing that are probably well over 100. Every time the wind blows there is a new one blown over some where.
I know that feeling all too well. I think that I have dropped 30 - 40 so far and still have plenty more to go. At least it is pre-dried already when you drop them.

I've several people starting to use those tote bins for wood although I think they just threw the wood loose into them. If you have the room and a way to tip them over they look like just the ticket
You can fit twice the amount of wood it it if you stack it. I put these right by the splitter now and fill them up as I split.

@GrizzlyAdams86 waiting for the OSHA guy, at Harvest Fest, in Wisconsin today. View attachment 1199922
Philbert

We had just thrown the belt off the tractor that powers the mill trying to saw up this red oak (thankfully no one was hurt and it was the only time we did it the whole weekend) we were back up and running again not too long after this. Later in the day I milled up a some cherry from my family's land.

454281474_2191103267941103_3613549749805531261_n.jpg

This 18" cherry uprooted and fell over back in April due to all the wind and rain we got here in WI. I was out grilling on the deck on a windy afternoon and could hear the "snap crackle pop" then down it went with a gust of wind, oddly enough I had been thinking about cutting this tree down to have it milled up the past couple of years. Since it was on a hillside and the limbs were holding it off the ground I left it until just before the show to cut it up. 3 logs total out of trunk, 2-8 1/2 ft, 1 9 ft plus a 3 1/2 ft piece off the trunk by the stump (it had damage to 1 side from when it uprooted) plus some smaller ones from the limbs.

457228324_2206791753038921_5203889361492777365_n.jpg

Here's the 3 logs out of the trunk all milled up as the buyer wanted it milled by me, which is also the first time I've ever milled up my own logs too. The shorter damaged piece I was able to get some boards out of it and even a mantle piece with the bark left on 1 side, and even the slabwood was being picked through for decorative pieces (the oval shaped pieces way in the back). The buyer was planning on taking the smaller logs out of the limbs to someone he knew with a bandsaw mill to get what he could out of them. I had also milled up for the owner of the show about a half dozen or so Poplar and the next day milled up 5 more, plus squared up a Cedar to cut into blocks for the shingle mill.

We had just thrown the belt off the tractor that powers the mill trying to saw up this red oak (thankfully no one was hurt and it was the only time we did it the whole weekend) we were back up and running again not too long after this. Later in the day I milled up a some cherry from my family's land.

View attachment 1200318

This 18" cherry uprooted and fell over back in April due to all the wind and rain we got here in WI. I was out grilling on the deck on a windy afternoon and could hear the "snap crackle pop" then down it went with a gust of wind, oddly enough I had been thinking about cutting this tree down to have it milled up the past couple of years. Since it was on a hillside and the limbs were holding it off the ground I left it until just before the show to cut it up. 3 logs total out of trunk, 2-8 1/2 ft, 1 9 ft plus a 3 1/2 ft piece off the trunk by the stump (it had damage to 1 side from when it uprooted) plus some smaller ones from the limbs.

View attachment 1200322

Here's the 3 logs out of the trunk all milled up as the buyer wanted it milled by me, which is also the first time I've ever milled up my own logs too. The shorter damaged piece I was able to get some boards out of it and even a mantle piece with the bark left on 1 side, and even the slabwood was being picked through for decorative pieces (the oval shaped pieces way in the back). The buyer was planning on taking the smaller logs out of the limbs to someone he knew with a bandsaw mill to get what he could out of them. I had also milled up for the owner of the show about a half dozen or so Poplar and the next day milled up 5 more, plus squared up a Cedar to cut into blocks for the shingle mill.
Tractor powered mill? You must have a circle mill? Thought I was silly having 16-18" Cherry milled once. But I got some beautiful lumber.

I got a couple for FREE and I hated them, they are a pain to fill and a triple pain to unload. Dumping the load is the easiest way and even that didn't work for beans, even when I cut one side open!

Then I figured out how to fix that carrying and unloading part,

Resized-20230909-105113-S.jpg

AND it's a huge plus to be able to drive right into them without having to push my forks in, on top of that, I can easily turn them over now without wrecking the bottom of the cheeep plastic pallet the basket sits on. (although they don't all have plastic bottoms)

So now I take a few for FREE when they are offered to me...

SR

Unfortunately, it looks like the EAB has pretty much won!!!

All those restrictions on transporting firewood (most of which have not been repealed) failed to do anything to slow it down!
So you mean the gooberment didn't tell the bugs ? The ones I asked didn't know #$it about being banned.

I got a couple for FREE and I hated them, they are a pain to fill and a triple pain to unload. Dumping the load is the easiest way and even that didn't work for beans, even when I cut one side open!

Then I figured out how to fix that carrying and unloading part,

Resized-20230909-105113-S.jpg

AND it's a huge plus to be able to drive right into them without having to push my forks in, on top of that, I can easily turn them over now without wrecking the bottom of the cheeep plastic pallet the basket sits on. (although they don't all have plastic bottoms)

So now I take a few for FREE when they are offered to me...

SR
All of my wood fits thru the square holes which makes it so much easier to load and unload. My totes are 330 gallon.

View attachment 1200318

View attachment 1200322

It was fun, and interesting, to watch.

Philbert

So you mean the gooberment didn't tell the bugs ? The ones I asked didn't know #$it about being banned.
Don't worry, next week they are going to hire teachers to teach the deer to cross at the Deer Crossing Signs!

And did you ever hear the woman who called into the radio station because she wanted the town to "move" the Deer Crossing Sign because "they should not have put a deer crossing sign in such a dangerous place"!

Latest posts

Back