Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of property theft, oh sorry, property tax, our house got assessed for the first time since 2014. To my shock our assessment just about doubled. Thankfully we have a conservative town board and they halved the tax rate so our taxes won't go up appreciably.

As far as the Hispanic population around here it's probably 50% of the rural community. You can thank the parents who sent their kids to sports/extracurriculars instead of making them work on a farm. When I was a kid I bet close to half of the kids somehow helped on a farm. Now there's no help and there was a vacuum for workers so guess who fills it?
Sounds like my area!! The Hispanic workers even have their own strip club, they are all Latina dancers…

See a need, fill a need

When I was hauling flatbed, I went to Wisconsin almost weekly. 9 times out of 10, my backhaul would be landscape stone from the mines around Fond Du Lac. The only white folks in the business were in the loader or behind a desk. All the guys sorting rocks were Mexican, and they were always working their asses off, usually with a big smile on their face.
Nice, but are they on the books and paying taxes, or off the books and also collecting public assistance. There are a lot of shenanigans going on in the landscaping and tree service professions, but recently government seems he$$bent on keeping a closed eye on it.

We cannot have a Country where one group must pay taxes, but the other group does not; where one group has to abide by zoning regulations, but the other group does not; where one group has to comply with hunting and fishing regulations, but the other group does not; where one group has to pay high medical insurance and high deductibles, and the other group gets everything for free. This crap is not right and is not sustainable

We were talking about ditching school tax and upping the state sales tax 1%. That way everyone would be paying, not just house/business owners and it would have brought more money in for the schools. I was all for it. the governor never signed the bill.
On to more happy things. Amazon kinda screwed me last night. I ordered some tapcons so I could fasten a board to the knee wall to back fill it. Didn't end up showing up till 9pm, so that project got pushed off till today now. I went and picked up the new wood stove. It's in a bit rougher shape then I remember, but still functional, and will be a lot easier to get fixed up then the other one I was given. Took my son with me, ended up spending nearly two and a half hours talking with Kenny. Good guy. His dad bought the stove back in the 80's, got this story about his dad falling asleep with the door not fully closed. (Why the side panel has a crinkle in it, it got hot!) Going to replace that side panel and make it a top or rear outlet. Otherwise a few other little things to fix up, put the new brick in it and call it a day.

Attachments

• 20240829_195256.jpg
    20240829_195256.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240829_195250.jpg
    20240829_195250.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Drool you Lobster lovers. My wife picked up two 2.5 pound Lobsters yesterday for dinner. They were on sale at Market Basket for $7.99 a pound. Usually Lobsters this size sell for $12+ a pound at other stores.

Attachments

• 20240829_174626.jpg
    20240829_174626.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240829_182612.jpg
    20240829_182612.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240829_182617.jpg
    20240829_182617.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Drool you Lobster lovers. My wife picked up two 2.5 pound Lobsters yesterday for dinner. They were on sale at Market Basket for $7.99 a pound. Usually Lobsters this size sell for $12+ a pound at other stores.
:baba:

I love lobster! I've had some bad/overcooked lobster so I hesitate to get it at restaurants around here. Plus it's usually around $30 a tail here in a restaurant. :oops:

Lately I have been hammering away at my old woodpile. One section of it is entirely gone now. Today I resurrected a 12' x 20' canopy a friend of mine gave me 4 years ago. I still need to flip it over once I get the stabilizers on the pipes. I do have all the parts to put it back together and new sides for it. I think I have the top also. If not I'll buy a new one for it. This will be used to cover my split wood pile that I am presently stacking on plastic pallets. Eight of my totes are filled now. That should get me thru the Winter. I still have about 6 - 8 cord of Ash rounds to split up. Some of it is already sold. I believe that I have another cord or two of Ash in the woods on the ground waiting to get hauled out.
I've got to put something like 20" rims/tires on my splitter like yours. When used horizontally, it's way too low and my back starts hurting a little from bending.

Only 3 pages behind. :crazy2: Wood pics look great!! My shotgun I use regularly is a Ithaca pump model 37 Featherlite waterfowl special I bought for turkey hunting. Paid $225 back in the 80's. Don't shoot many 3" out of it anymore except an occasional turkey load or 00 buck for running groundhogs. Mostly low brass to sting the deer in the a$$ that are in the sweetcorn patches.

I am NOT a mushroom guy, anyone know what these things are? They are large!

About 8" across. Did not know I had a mushroom farm!

The Logging guys are starting on my property today, got a call from him this morning.

That should keep the wife from complaining about what I spend on construction materials! HD is getting rich!
Looks like an Armillaria sp. due to the spots. What does the underside look like? Is is white or yellow? Looks white.

As always, if you can not positively identify a fungus do not eat it.

Coupple farmers sold out and loads of developments went in during that time. Lots of people moved in.

Happening here. Many moving in and fields turning into housing developments. Last year my taxes were about $500. Just had a town reassessment and they went up to $2,600. In one year. Being priced out.

Looks like an Armillaria sp. due to the spots. What does the underside look like? Is is white or yellow? Looks white.

As always, if you can not positively identify a fungus do not eat it.
I don't eat them, was just curious. I believe the underside was white, but the tops were orange/yellow. The one closer to the camera went from looking like and inverted cup to totally flat overnight. Two smaller ones in the picture.

Nice, but are they on the books and paying taxes, or off the books and also collecting public assistance. There are a lot of shenanigans going on in the landscaping and tree service professions, but recently government seems he$$bent on keeping a closed eye on it.

We cannot have a Country where one group must pay taxes, but the other group does not; where one group has to abide by zoning regulations, but the other group does not; where one group has to comply with hunting and fishing regulations, but the other group does not; where one group has to pay high medical insurance and high deductibles, and the other group gets everything for free. This crap is not right and is not sustainable
[/
Probably said the same thing about my ancestors when they came across the Atlantic 200 years ago.
QUOTE]

Loving the pics you've been posting recently. Those tamarack rounds look like they should be hand splittable but maybe not? Or do you just enjoy ripping through them with the saw?
Thanks, man. When wet, tamarack rounds this size (20") are pretty dang heavy and they take quite a few whacks with the maul to split. Easier and faster to rip them to carry and load on the truck.
When dry, they pop right apart.

Thanks, man. When wet, tamarack rounds this size (20") are pretty dang heavy and they take quite a few whacks with the maul to split. Easier and faster to rip them to carry and load on the truck.
When dry, they pop right apart.
I have tamarack at my place up north but don't recall anyone burning them. Do they run cleaner than pine, spruce, fir etc?

I've got to put something like 20" rims/tires on my splitter like yours. When used horizontally, it's way too low and my back starts hurting a little from bending.
That big monster is a stump grinder. I could never use a low horizontal splitter for any length of time. My SuperSplit is waste high. Any big logs go in my tractor bucket which I park right in front of the splitter table. I just roll them off one at a time to split them up.

Back