Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good. Start copying school board members and the super on issues if they continue to come up.
I'll mention it to her, but if it's like anything else, the school board is more worried about raising taxes and where to build a new administration building then the kids going to the school. Honestly, if we weren't so invested where we're at we'd move to a different school district. This one has gone way down hill from when I was in school.

Good. Start copying school board members and the super on issues if they continue to come up.
I would add to mention in the letters/ emails that copies are being saved for future potential legal action. That often times gets some interest where was none prior.

I would add to mention in the letters/ emails that copies are being saved for future potential legal action. That often times gets some interest where was none prior.
Exactly! And with many administrations, "issues" are hidden by principals so they won't get to the people who can make changes without people elevating the issues themselves.

I got my school tax bill today ... want to trade???

When I moved up here in the late 1970s, my TOTAL tax bill was $660.- / year and the schools were good, and they plowed the roads.

Now, the HS is 50%+ non-English speaking, I have a 3-bedroom house instead of a 2 bedroom, and my school tax alone is over $8,800! Outrageous!

If I didn't build this house myself, and have local relatives and clients, I'd be otta here! But it would be very difficult for me to move, plus NYS at least does not tax my pension or Social Security.

I got my school tax bill today ... want to trade???

When I moved up here in the late 1970s, my TOTAL tax bill was $660.- / year and the schools were good, and they plowed the roads.

Now, the HS is 50%+ non-English speaking, I have a 3-bedroom house instead of a 2 bedroom, and my school tax alone is over $8,800! Outrageous!

If I didn't build this house myself, and have local relatives and clients, I'd be otta here! But it would be very difficult for me to move, plus NYS at least does not tax my pension or Social Security.
Mind you, my house is an early modular so for all anyone cares it's classes as a trailer, so my taxes arnt terribly high for my area. I'm a little under 1 acre of land here, and I doubt they have factored in the shop. (Yet.) Our taxes basically doubled in the 10 years we've lived here. $1700.00 in 2013 and my school tax alone is closer to $3k this year. Neighbor across the lane said his place is over $4k a year. Its sickening.
We're in a different district then what myself or my wife went to, but we moved here because of the "good" schools and lower population. A lot of that has changed over the past 20 years. Coupple farmers sold out and loads of developments went in during that time. Lots of people moved in. In general i hate running into town anymore. Not even going to get into the "I no speak English bit."

My wife has been keeping a log of everything, and outside of calls has all the emails between her and the principal. I'll mention svk advice to her. Can't hurt even if it doesn't help. But fingers crossed it won't be an issue this year.
There is some good in public schools, but much evil also. A local system here has a great set up ( for themselves) if an employee has a grievance and wanted to bring it up before the board you had to request that through the district admin and they got to decide if it got on the agenda or not.

Speaking of property theft, oh sorry, property tax, our house got assessed for the first time since 2014. To my shock our assessment just about doubled. Thankfully we have a conservative town board and they halved the tax rate so our taxes won't go up appreciably.

As far as the Hispanic population around here it's probably 50% of the rural community. You can thank the parents who sent their kids to sports/extracurriculars instead of making them work on a farm. When I was a kid I bet close to half of the kids somehow helped on a farm. Now there's no help and there was a vacuum for workers so guess who fills it?

Speaking of property theft, oh sorry, property tax, our house got assessed for the first time since 2014. To my shock our assessment just about doubled. Thankfully we have a conservative town board and they halved the tax rate so our taxes won't go up appreciably.

As far as the Hispanic population around here it's probably 50% of the rural community. You can thank the parents who sent their kids to sports/extracurriculars instead of making them work on a farm. When I was a kid I bet close to half of the kids somehow helped on a farm. Now there's no help and there was a vacuum for workers so guess who fills it?
When I was hauling flatbed, I went to Wisconsin almost weekly. 9 times out of 10, my backhaul would be landscape stone from the mines around Fond Du Lac. The only white folks in the business were in the loader or behind a desk. All the guys sorting rocks were Mexican, and they were always working their asses off, usually with a big smile on their face.

It was time to get back on the big mowing job at the tree farm that I do for a guy, so I loaded up a tractor/rotary cutter,

Resized-20240828-145918-S.jpg

Then it was mowing, mowing,

Resized-20240829-131716-S.jpg

and mowing some more!

Resized-20240829-143048-S.jpg

and like that Arnie guy, I'll be back!

SR

That's fine, but I've found that I only need to cover mine for a couple weeks before the splits go into my basement, so I cover the ones going down about 2 weeks before moving them.

The way my boxes are designed, a lot of air goes through them. I've double checked that, and it works out great.

SR
My wood stays out full time so I have to keep it covered to stay dry. Many years ago I stored wood in my basement. That area is now a vault and the woodstove is upstairs.

Lately I have been hammering away at my old woodpile. One section of it is entirely gone now. Today I resurrected a 12' x 20' canopy a friend of mine gave me 4 years ago. I still need to flip it over once I get the stabilizers on the pipes. I do have all the parts to put it back together and new sides for it. I think I have the top also. If not I'll buy a new one for it. This will be used to cover my split wood pile that I am presently stacking on plastic pallets. Eight of my totes are filled now. That should get me thru the Winter. I still have about 6 - 8 cord of Ash rounds to split up. Some of it is already sold. I believe that I have another cord or two of Ash in the woods on the ground waiting to get hauled out.

Attachments

• 20240827_135657.jpg
    20240827_135657.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240827_174223.jpg
    20240827_174223.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240828_180041.jpg
    20240828_180041.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240829_103759.jpg
    20240829_103759.jpg