Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait to get back in the duck blind! Just over a month to go. Early goose season starts this coming Tuesday. That mostly means I bring a shotgun when I go fishing, hoping for fly-over opportunities.
Don't get me started on duck hunting. Mine doesn't start until Nov. 10?

Don't get me started on duck hunting. Mine doesn't start until Nov. 10?

Oct. 1st up here, but most birds will have migrated by mid-December once things get icy and all the backwaters have frozen.
September 21st here, I think the earliest ever.

We used to be the Saturday closest to 10/1. Then it became the last Saturday in September. Now it is the week before that.

I do like an earlier start as we are almost always frozen out before season ends. But the 21st is pretty early....trees have hardly begun to change colors!

We used to be the Saturday closest to 10/1. Then it became the last Saturday in September. Now it is the week before that.

I do like an earlier start as we are almost always frozen out before season ends. But the 21st is pretty early....trees have hardly begun to change colors!
Our season starts before many birds come down. Then the birds get short stopped half way down the state until they freeze. Then we've got two short weeks before we freeze up. And I don't break ice anymore.

Ahh yes, the beginning of season where the leaves are still on most trees and you get to play a fun game called "Is that a duck in the distance or a mosquito" lol.

Our season starts before many birds come down. Then the birds get short stopped half way down the lake until they freeze. Then we've got two short weeks before we freeze up. And I don't break ice anymore.
Similar story here. We get a couple good shoots around the opener before the resident birds wise up. Then when the weather starts to get cold and the little ducks leave, we see more large birds like mallards and blacks passing through on their way down south. Coincidentally, this is right around when most folks here are more concerned with deer hunting so there is less hunting pressure. I do like to hunt for deer too, but I make time for both if I can.

Ahh yes, the beginning of season where the leaves are still on most trees and you get to play a fun game called "Is that a duck in the distance or a mosquito" lol.
One year during early season we were out the duck blind and it was well into the 70s. That was when I thought I was tough and shot 3 1/2 inch shells at everything. Got a major concussion headache after a flurry of active shooting in a T-shirt lol.

Looks like you know what you are doing. I was the idiot pulling the boards off a circle mill and stacking after each cut. It was on a concrete floor which was loaded with sawdust and crap. Made for a slippery footing. Guy running the mill didn't like me "wasting" time cleaning the floor so I would have a good footing. I had nightmares about tripping and falling into the blade.
When I first started out at the show I was the "go-fer" that help catch/stack boards, roll the logs and shovel sawdust. Other than run the tractor, I've worked at just about every position on the mill. We usually try to shovel sawdust every other log.
Cool Tractor! 101 PTO HP as tested in the Nebraska Tests. Produced 62-65. A very big HP tractor for then. It was contemporary to the John Deere 5010 with 109 PTO HP, tested. A rare bird now in Massey clothing. With Amish wheels, it is even more rare.
The owner says he has to remember when getting parts for it to call it a Minneapolis Moline. Right after he got it he replaced the fan belt and radiator hoses but while at the parts house he mistakenly called it by what it's badged as and they couldn't find anything for it, so he remembered, "oh it's a MM G705" and then they could find what they were looking for.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Cowboy254. Have a good one mate!!! :cheers: 🇦🇺

Thanks fellers. Weather wasn't flash and had to work so I didn't get up to much but still had a nice day.

A youthful 49yo, just a slip of a lad really. I feel good, most bits of me stihl work and nothing has dropped off yet so that's a win. My running streak is now up to 608 consecutive days - rain, hail, shine or scrounge. Cowgirl made me this out of a bit of cedar from exterior of our house pre-renovation. It is to hang my marathon medals from but there are 12 hooks so 10 marathons to go... :crazy2: .

20240828_063748.jpg

Also got this from the Cowkids

20240828_062735.jpg

The feral weather this week has brought plenty of trees down, check this guy out...

456719076_514119494504898_7473230792043767789_n.jpg

I enjoy the challenge of big scrounge but this one is in the next town and over a range of hills to get there so I won't be getting after it.

:cheers:

A while ago I told you my grandson said "Grandpa, I don't have any wooden blocks to play with at home". SO, here's my fix for that.

First, I found an old 4x4 by the sawmill and cut off some pieces, then squaring them up,

Resized-20240818-151340-S.jpg

That made 16 blocks and that didn't seem like enough, so I sawed them in half and sanded them,

Resized-20240818-153948-S.jpg

Next it was time to scrounge up some boards lying around the shop, cut them to size to make a box to hold the blocks, here I have it mocked up,

Resized-20240826-134028-S.jpg

and of course, he will need some handholds to carry this box full of wood blocks, so I cut some in the end pieces,

Resized-20240826-152049-S.jpg

All that's left to do on it now, is some final sanding and put some finish on it!

Resized-20240827-143735-S.jpg

I think he's going to like his new blocks!

SR

Back