Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shoot, I need to get some updated shop pics up for you. Congrats on the lift install. Big deal not having to work on your back, on the floor working on stuff. I hear the working out of little tool boxes thing too. So glad to have my big box out in the shop and not have to run back to the house every 10 seconds.
Cool, love to see then, I'm just as excited for you. Not only have I been working on my back, but it's also been out in the weather since the last time I had a garage back in 95. It's hard to do when your under rusty vehicles getting crap in your eyes and out in the cold and the rain, especially after you've worked in a shop with everything you needed.
I'm actually reorganizing it a bit out there today. Next big projects are my bay doors, and the lights, and the sub-panel near the lift(in no specific order). The sub will provide power to the lift, any welders, and lights/outlets for the far bay. I have plenty of spots in the panel, but I figured it would be nice to have the sub-panel over there; maybe it's overkill, but I'll only have the one big expense for the panel and wire, then it will be cheap to wire anything with 220 over there.
Still not sure where I want to set up my compressor. I could mount it up off the floor to save space.

I’ve been raking the forest. Seems to me that someone advised us to do that, so I’m getting it done. This isn’t a wide brush rake like they put on dozers, but it’s working.

That sounds like it has a Detroit in it.

That sounds like it has a Detroit in it.

Yes it’s a 4-71T
I started in the passenger ferry business in 1999. 71's were the backbone of our fleet, we had 9 12-71 turbo's and a pair of 8-71 naturals in service. Fast forward 25 years, and most everything has been repowered, and we only have a pair of 12-71's left in our oldest, smallest, least used boat.

066/660 saws NEVER had flippy caps! Get with the program!
Lol. I should know better, it'd been a while since I've had one :oops:.
You can use a scrench or screwdriver on a husky flippy cap, only needed that once, but I didn't know that back then.

Cool, love to see then, I'm just as excited for you. Not only have I been working on my back, but it's also been out in the weather since the last time I had a garage back in 95. It's hard to do when your under rusty vehicles getting crap in your eyes and out in the cold and the rain, especially after you've worked in a shop with everything you needed.
I'm actually reorganizing it a bit out there today. Next big projects are my bay doors, and the lights, and the sub-panel near the lift(in no specific order). The sub will provide power to the lift, any welders, and lights/outlets for the far bay. I have plenty of spots in the panel, but I figured it would be nice to have the sub-panel over there; maybe it's overkill, but I'll only have the one big expense for the panel and wire, then it will be cheap to wire anything with 220 over there.
Still not sure where I want to set up my compressor. I could mount it up off the floor to save space.
Wife and I were discussing what and where I was going with things out in the shop. Shes pushing real hard for me to move out of the basement, but I really have no idea where I want anything yet. Only about 60% sure where I want the door between the shop and side room right now, let alone recept boxes or anything else. I did kinda figure out how big I can make the loft, and still have decent room to place the lift. It's gonna be tight with the amount of junk I gotta stick in it. Lol.
Air compressors.... I don't like where i have mine right now. It's convenient for the time being, but I really want it (them really, I have 2 5hp 60 gal compressors.) Out side the shop. Just hogs up space and makes a lot of noise. Which may still happen. Just needed it working and had some 8ga wire in flex tight that was the right length to run up over the door for right now. I like the idea of a sub panel if it's any distance from the main panel. Run one decent sized wire to feed it, branch off to whatever you need. Simple.

I know @SS396driver and some of the older guys will know this type of screwdriver.
View attachment 1208358
Can't remember what it's called, but it's the one you need to take the doors off the bathroom stalls at work..... don't ask how I know..

Wife and I were discussing what and where I was going with things out in the shop. Shes pushing real hard for me to move out of the basement, but I really have no idea where I want anything yet. Only about 60% sure where I want the door between the shop and side room right now, let alone recept boxes or anything else. I did kinda figure out how big I can make the loft, and still have decent room to place the lift. It's gonna be tight with the amount of junk I gotta stick in it. Lol.
Air compressors.... I don't like where i have mine right now. It's convenient for the time being, but I really want it (them really, I have 2 5hp 60 gal compressors.) Out side the shop. Just hogs up space and makes a lot of noise. Which may still happen. Just needed it working and had some 8ga wire in flex tight that was the right length to run up over the door for right now. I like the idea of a sub panel if it's any distance from the main panel. Run one decent sized wire to feed it, branch off to whatever you need. Simple.
I've got a crapton of stuff in the basement, before any of it goes into the barn, the barn needs to be way more finished and I have to go thru everything. I have so much that was bought to resell, I just need to get the barn finished so I have the time to unload it all. Before I built the barn I sold a bunch of saws, that helped, but there's still a good number of them down there.
I do know within 8' of where I want my door to the main bay, so I have that going for me :laugh: .
Is your loft going to be in the whole thing like an attic, or just one side. I plan on having a shelf around much of mine, it needs to be high enough to walk/work under so I can have benches and storage underneath, but low enough that I can put a pallet up there with the tractor.
I have a cheaper Craftsman compressor, but it's fairly tall, I will enclose it, as I don't want to listen to it either. It should be enough for my needs, I'm more concerned about its longevity. Hopefully it actually works, I did get a good deal on it though lol.

Just got home from helping a buddy butcher 46 chickens. It went really well since we were able to borrow a plucker that did 6-8 birds at a time and a scalder that could do the same.
Finished product in the cooler...
View attachment 1208413
Lots of good eats there.
That's something I've never done, but the rest of the family has. We have a friend who normally does thousands a yr at his place. Unfortunately he has been waiting on hip surgery for like 7 months because it was infected, and to ad insult to injury(literally), their home just caught fire. I guess they were in the barn butcher a small batch of chickens, the power went out, he walked out to see what the problem was and saw the fire trucks they had heard were in their driveway :oops:. Quite a ways out before it's finished, and he's scheduled for his surgery early this month. Oh yeah, he just retired last fall.

Latest posts

Back