Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to get a good picture with just my iPhone, but I think that this one is as good as my photo of the ‘e’-clips!

View attachment 1212046

Philbert
I went out the other night looking for Comet with my girlfriend. We saw what we thought was Comet but then got into a discussion about it maybe being Cupid... by the time we decided it was Comet she was trotting away into the darkness... I missed the chance at the photo. 😉

Well, my plans went fubar yesterday after work. My logging buddy didn't answer his phone, so I went home. Got a text from my wife that she was going to be home late. OK, went out to the shop, fired up the kerosene heater and heard a huge crash. Walked out and saw a tree fell over at my neighbors across the lane. Pancaked his burn barrel, lol. Standing dead white oak. Hopped on the four-wheeler and ran over to see if he needed help. (I didn't have to ask, he did.) Went and got the kubota and the 192tc. Got the small stuff cleaned up before I had to get the kids off the bus. Told him not to worry about the rest, I'd clean it up with the tractor. Went and got the kids, tried calling my logging buddy again. No answer, so I left a message. Got the kids fed, and went back over to the neighbors. Finished cleaning up the tree that fell over. Good thing no one was around, it's been dead for quite some time and hollow about 1/3 of the way up the trunk. Cleaned up a few other trees that had fell over, took down a few little **** trees around his shed and cleaned up. Ended up with a tidy little pile of burn wood. He thanked me and I went back to my place.
Shop was a toasty 74*f when I got back in. I don't think it's going to take much to heat once everything is finished and tight. Pretty happy about that.
Spent the rest of the evening clearing out the stuff away from the front wall of the little room so I could start stuffing insulation in there. I'm really getting sick of moving stuff so many times. Should have built a storage shed to hold the stuff to build the shop.
My logging buddy eventually called back. Said he was having such a good day out in the woods, he didn't realize what time it was till it got dark. So now we're working on the truck tonight. Which really works out better since my wife has the day off.
I'll have to grab some wood pics for you guys later then.

Oh, I forgot to ask. What's everyone's opinion on the "pro" spray foam guns? I have a lot of small gaps that need filled and I'd need a lot of the little cans. Money wise, it's not a huge savings, but I liked the interchangeable nozzles and longer reach. My main concern is I've read a lot of reviews about people having issues getting the cans on the guns and having a foam explosion.

I hate when that happens, such a pain to pull those shrouds off.
Not even that big of a deal anymore, I know exactly what size everything is off the top of my head since I have had to do it so much lately, just annoying when I finally get free time to mow and start it up and see blue shop towel fly every where.

You gotta clean it immediately too because as tough as these old opposed twins are they don't like running hot. I think I may have already overheated it once and caused it to start burning oil cause it sure uses a lot now, of course I did calculate the hours based off of the yearly average from the cub cadet that replaced it has on it and I figure its gotta have almost 2000 hours on it at this point.

Oh, I forgot to ask. What's everyone's opinion on the "pro" spray foam guns? I have a lot of small gaps that need filled and I'd need a lot of the little cans. Money wise, it's not a huge savings, but I liked the interchangeable nozzles and longer reach. My main concern is I've read a lot of reviews about people having issues getting the cans on the guns and having a foam explosion.
If you’re talking about things like the Smart Stuff pro I like it. The control you have (width and amount) over the cans with built in nozzles is worth the cost alone. Being able to set it aside for days between use is handy too. Buy a quart can of acetone and a Great Stuff spray can of acetone. You MUST keep it clean or struggle through cleaning hard foam inside the gun.

Not even that big of a deal anymore, I know exactly what size everything is off the top of my head since I have had to do it so much lately, just annoying when I finally get free time to mow and start it up and see blue shop towel fly every where.

You gotta clean it immediately too because as tough as these old opposed twins are they don't like running hot. I think I may have already overheated it once and caused it to start burning oil cause it sure uses a lot now, of course I did calculate the hours based off of the yearly average from the cub cadet that replaced it has on it and I figure its gotta have almost 2000 hours on it at this point.
Yeah, I got a pile of opposed Briggs yet. They certainly don't like being overheated. Watch out for rod knock in the higher hour units, send one out the side after it starts banging. Pressure lubed models didn't seem to have that issue.
If you’re talking about things like the Smart Stuff pro I like it. The control you have (width and amount) over the cans with built in nozzles is worth the cost alone. Being able to set it aside for days between use is handy too. Buy a quart can of acetone and a Great Stuff spray can of acetone. You MUST keep it clean or struggle through cleaning hard foam inside the gun.
I figured the cleaning aspect was like a paint gun, so I got that covered. I keep acetone, on hand anyway. Do you have an extended reach version or the std length version and use the extension rods?
Did he get mad at you?

What kind of rig does he drive?
Haha, he hardly drives let alone a big rig.

Yeah, I got a pile of opposed Briggs yet. They certainly don't like being overheated. Watch out for rod knock in the higher hour units, send one out the side after it starts banging. Pressure lubed models didn't seem to have that issue.

I figured the cleaning aspect was like a paint gun, so I got that covered. I keep acetone, on hand anyway. Do you have an extended reach version or the std length version and use the extension rods?

Haha, he hardly drives let alone a big rig.
I use the standard tube. Haven’t had a need for anything more.

Yea, its got the famous top main "chuckle" at low idle that is caused by not enough oil splash from low idling, which makes sense because my grandfather babied everything mowed at a fast idle with it its whole life. I just try to always have it running at 1/4 throttle if it idles for extended periods. If it blew up tomorrow I couldn't be mad, 2000+ hours on a splash oil air cool flat head is pretty dang good and I don't think it would be worth an overhaul, so I'll probably just run it till it lets go one way or another. I have 2 other just straight MTD/Lowes lawnmowers, not garden tractors, that have the same engine that ran great till the transaxles grenaded, so I have some immediate spares.

Back