Shifting gears...Just got in this Disston DA-211

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbfarmall

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Another member here made a roadtrip and came back with some awesome saws. I ended up with this DA-211, and it was still only the 2nd coolest saw in the bunch. I'll let him elaborate if he chooses.

Now, I've always maintained that a KB-7 is only 2-man saw I'd ever want to own. However, 67Mustang Steve brought his 211 to the Poulan GTG and after hearing that thing in the cut, I added it to my list, albeit 2nd place.

Anyways, the picture showed it missing some parts and hard-to-find ones at that. Fortunately the seller dug thru his barn and found nearly all of them in a box. Far as I can tell, the only thing missing (aside, possibly, from assorted screws) is the rear handle crossbar with the throttle levers. The saw turns over with fair compression, nothing broken and nothing rotted away. I see the rear handles are a bit tweaked but that will be easy to straighten.

Yes, that is a Pioneer 750 hiding behind the bar.
211_5.jpg

211_1.jpg

211_6.jpg

Missing the throttle levers and tube:
211_2.jpg

211_3.jpg

Chris,

I know you will do a fine job on that saw. :):) I did at one time have the handle bar part you need but I am not sure if it is still here

Think you could check for that part? Those aside, I'm going to need to track down at least one set of points to make it a runner.

On the plus side, it does seem to have real good compression.

Chris B.

Subscribing. Also shot ya a PM. I think you will be well pleased with a DA-211. Much more easier to maneuver if you are alone than a KB6 or 7. They have a great sound as well.

17 days from digging it out of a barn to running it in a log.:msp_smile::msp_smile: Excellent turn-around time

Bill

Just got in from doing some more tweaking to the motor.

--Bumped the timing a bit hotter and reset the points.
--I went thru the carby again and even more thoroughly--lapped the needle seat with grinding compound and found a jet I missed the first time around.
--Adjusted the linkages a bit more. With all the slop (even considering all the work Mark did yesterday) it is a tricky to adjust everything to get the full range of throttle shaft rotation. That said, I slapped a spring on it to help pull the throttle against the idle screw. And with all that said, adjusting the idle with a broken clutch shoe is darn near impossible--the chain will never stop spinning.
--Discovered the fuel valve needs to be wide open to fully flow and keep up with the carby. Don't usually have to do this with tractors.

It does seem more reponsive and steadier running.

I need to find my helper again and test this thing out!

Chris B.

Bill, I spend most of that time gathering parts and figuring out where to find them. Do you happen to have a clutch for this thing?:msp_biggrin:

The coils are pretty easy to find since this is actually a Mercury outboard engine. Rings are a standard part from Hastings.

Points are another story. I ended up using the best 2 out of 3 used sets. If I ever see new points, I'll snatch them up.

Disston apparently used an oddball Scintilla magneto on this saw.

Chris B.

Bendix-Scintilla

A good number of manufacturers used the exact same coil in the DA-211. A Mall 7H has it as well as some other Mall/Remington saws. Titan had it in some of their later products. Poulan used a smaller one early-on and several sizes were on the market. The coil itself is a good piece, it's just the insulating coating around the outside that gives up so easy allowing moisture inside to corrode the windings. These coils in marine applications would likely break down even faster with all the heat under the hood of a boat motor!
Igpoe:cheers:

Latest posts

Back