["solved"] Should I buy it? 038 Magnum.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In addition the the above, the seller says that the 500i has been used to cut christmas trees last year. "no real service history - just a bar change", looks brand new. Starts, runs, idles fine. 28 inch bar and chain included. Guy wants 700AUD (465usd) for it. Good deal?

In addition the the above, the seller says that the 500i has been used to cut christmas trees last year. "no real service history - just a bar change", looks brand new. Starts, runs, idles fine. 28 inch bar and chain included. Guy wants 700AUD (465usd) for it. Good deal?
Looks like a steal, too good to be true. If all adds up, the saw is worth every penny. I'd be suspicious and check everything on the saw carefully.

Looks like a steal, too good to be true. If all adds up, the saw is worth every penny. I'd be suspicious and check everything on the saw carefully.

He says that he isn't knowledgeable at all about saws, and they replace their saws frequently as they can "sense when a problem will occur". Sounds to me like they run it like mad, don't service it and then sell it off. If it even has a problem, it could be a clogged spark arrestor which could cause the saw to bog - leading the guy to believe it's "broken". Or it's just a rather sophisticated scam 😀

He sent a video and everything, pictures, all pictures in the same location, pictures are of the same saw, saw seems legit. I can't go a visit the saw in person, as it's a 15 hour or so drive away from me. I'll also ask for the serial number and try to check it. He even says he is negotiable on the price! Saw literally looks brand new, every sticker is there, no visible discoloration or tears. Bar is however covered in sap and the chain is loose as.

Edit: might have to pass on this one. I reckon it's a scam.

Where are you finding all these cheap saws?
First off, love to see a fellow Western Australian here!

I've put a post up on Gumtree "WANTED: Stihl chainsaws" with a few models tagged in the description. These cheap saws are just what people have DM'd me. Pretty sure the 500i is a scam so will be avoiding that one. Gumtree is 90% scammers so I might have to pull my post down...

Latest posts

Back