Stihl 064 Rebuild and Restoration!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its AV time and then call it quits for the day!

u9a4ygaq.jpg

After messing the first one up I started thinking why this was so hard and how can it be made easier. I made a tool to install the rivits in the badge I replaced on my recoil cover. It was an old broken screw driver that I ground to a blunt point. I thought ill see if it fits in the oil line. It was slightly bigger than the ID of the oil line. I thought great! I heated the end of the oil line with a heat gun. I heated the end of the tool a little also. I stuck the tool into the end of the oil line and flared it out a little. Heated it up again and then removed the tool and shoved it down onto the oil pump. Got it down over the second barb! I then measured the 2.9" that the instructions say it should be and cut to length. I then slid the spring in the oil line. Back to the heat just above the barb from the oil pump. Moving fast through the heat while rotating I gently started to make the bend. After a few minutes I was happy with the curve I had. Slid the oil line into the hole and out the oil trough. Heated that end as I did the other. Stuck the tool in to flare a little. Grabbed the brass insert and started it in. Used the blunt point driver to push it in! Done!
ypeqy5e6.jpg
nyga4a4a.jpg

After messing the first one up I started thinking why this was so hard and how can it be made easier. I made a tool to install the rivits in the badge I replaced on my recoil cover. It was an old broken screw driver that I ground to a blunt point. I thought ill see if it fits in the oil line. It was slightly bigger than the ID of the oil line. I thought great! I heated the end of the oil line with a heat gun. I heated the end of the tool a little also. I stuck the tool into the end of the oil line and flared it out a little. Heated it up again and then removed the tool and shoved it down onto the oil pump. Got it down over the second barb! I then measured the 2.9" that the instructions say it should be and cut to length. I then slid the spring in the oil line. Back to the heat just above the barb from the oil pump. Moving fast through the heat while rotating I gently started to make the bend. After a few minutes I was happy with the curve I had. Slid the oil line into the hole and out the oil trough. Heated that end as I did the other. Stuck the tool in to flare a little. Grabbed the brass insert and started it in. Used the blunt point driver to push it in! Done!
ypeqy5e6.jpg
nyga4a4a.jpg

Good work! Appreciate you posting that with pics so it makes sense to a knucklehead like me.

Its true a old dog does learn tricks Awesome job. When at that point you can do mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenever your ready! I dont think you have an oil pump yet do you?
You guys are making me jealous with your shiny white cases and all. I'll trade ya my 064 when you're done! Haha.
Very nice work!

On a side note. I pulled a oil line out of an 036 I think it was and the number superseded to that kit to but I checked the numbers on the hose and it's the same hose as the larger Stihl fuel line so I just made a note to use that where that kit is shown as a replacement for normal hose

Latest posts

Back