Stihl 064 Rebuild and Restoration!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan tou had a whole day of reveling in the oil line and av mounts. You cutting wood yet?

No... family party at my house today. Still waiting on a couple little parts that are making me take my time. Im only working four 8 hour days this week instead of my usual five 12's! Im shooting for Friday or Saturday as fire up day!

I'm gllad you saw my jest. I can't do the smilies on my phone. I hear you on the long hours. I have had 2 days off in the last 5 weeks. There are times when I'm not even sure what day it is.

Beautiful job on the saw and you better hurry up cus Mikes gonna catch you with his build.

I'm gllad you saw my jest. I can't do the smilies on my phone. I hear you on the long hours. I have had 2 days off in the last 5 weeks. There are times when I'm not even sure what day it is.

Beautiful job on the saw and you better hurry up cus Mikes gonna catch you with his build.
Hey thanks im having a blast working on it! Im learning a lot along the way. I know he is! He just better not jump the line with the Monkey! :D

Ok I thought I would check the squish to see what I had without a gasket. Here's how I do it. I put a little dab of grease on the piston front and back and left and right above the wrist pin.
ubybasu2.jpg

Put the jug on no rings on the piston. Rotate the flywheel back and forth until the solder gets pressed down until the piston hits tdc!
9upejamu.jpg

Here's what I came up with.
8e8yqybu.jpg

Thats my plan but I think ill leave that part to Randy. Ill probably use the thin gasket and let him decide what it should have after he works his magic on it. That way its easier to disassemble and nothing to clean up.

Well I said I was going to take my time with this build but I cant stand how slow its going! Sorry... I promise it will speed up by the end of the week! I got the cylinder on today. I used the gasket with a little Motoseal. I have to put the flywheel side seal in tonight and tomorrow ill do my pressure and vac test. A couple parts im waiting for will be in today so hopefully I can get everything together quicker then I have been!
qa3esyzy.jpg
4uqene9e.jpg

Well I said I was going to take my time with this build but I cant stand how slow its going! Sorry... I promise it will speed up by the end of the week! I got the cylinder on today. I used the gasket with a little Motoseal. I have to put the flywheel side seal in tonight and tomorrow ill do my pressure and vac test. A couple parts im waiting for will be in today so hopefully I can get everything together quicker then I have been!
qa3esyzy.jpg
4uqene9e.jpg
nice
qa3esyzy.jpg
4uqene9e.jpg
Nice! Powder coat is awesome

Did a vac and pressure test today and it failed!:confused: Checked all the seals and saw bubbles on the flywheel side seal. I have another new seal (thanks again Mike) to put in. Im having a little trouble getting the bad one out! Any tips would be appreciated!

Did a vac and pressure test today and it failed!:confused: Checked all the seals and saw bubbles on the flywheel side seal. I have another new seal (thanks again Mike) to put in. Im having a little trouble getting the bad one out! Any tips would be appreciated!
Use a sheetrock screw to barely pierce the seal and then pull on the screw with a pair of pliers.

small drill bit and a drywall screw and atttach vice grips to head of screw and use end of crankshaft to pry against. Be careful not to scratch crank or crankcase bore. May have to use 2 screws on opposing sides to ease seal out side to side alil at a time

I have searched AS and found those ways but that seal is so small im having a hard time seeing how the screw method will work. I did make a tool with a carb screwdriver but ran out of time and had to go to work. Ill try again when I get home tonight.

I have searched AS and found those ways but that seal is so small im having a hard time seeing how the screw method will work. I did make a tool with a carb screwdriver but ran out of time and had to go to work. Ill try again when I get home tonight.
Stihl seal puller with 4 sets of jaws 175$

Latest posts

Back