Stihl 064 Rebuild and Restoration!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The seal is very thin and sits down in about 1/8".
8aqahuvy.jpg
Split the case and knock it out!!! oh my that is blasphemy!! lol! Ive gotten them out with a smaller screw on an 026 and its much smaller than that. It is a pain to get out but it will come just dont scratch anything up

Split the case and knock it out!!! oh my that is blasphemy!! lol! Ive gotten them out with a smaller screw on an 026 and its much smaller than that. It is a pain to get out but it will come just dont scratch anything up
Try a screwdriver with a square notch cut about 1/8" from the tip and insert sideways through seal and turn sideways once through then pull. May have to go from one side to the other and ease it out alil at a time

Try a screwdriver with a square notch cut about 1/8" from the tip and insert sideways through seal and turn sideways once through then pull. May have to go from one side to the other and ease it out alil at a time
Thats what I was trying before work but didnt seem to budge it. I used a Stihl carb screwdriver maybe I should try one with a bigger handle for a better grip!

I like to drill 2 small holes through seal and insert long skinny screws and attach vice grips to head then take a small hammer and hit the vice grips from the inside out. Just work side to.side alil at a time

I like to drill 2 small holes through seal and insert long skinny screws and attach vice grips to head then take a small hammer and hit the vice grips from the inside out. Just work side to.side alil at a time
Ill look into that and see if I can drill holes. Not much metal on that small seal!

I cant tell in the pic but how far did u drive the seal in? If its bottomed out the seal lip is hitting the bearing most likely and will fail

Seal wasn't in yet in that photo! I looked and I didnt have a picture with it in. Its leaking around the outside.
did u use a sealant around the outside? permatex motoseal. At this point u can pull and install new with sealant or pull a small vaccum and apply alil loctite 290 around the outside of seal and let set up overnight and ck again. I think still spec allow alil leakage and most say if its small it will seal itself up after alil run time. I think the manual says 13" vaccum hold for 20 sec?

I did use a little Motoseal around it! Im really surprised it has a leak! I have to replace it now beacuse I tried using the screwdriver hook method and the rubber is tore up. I have a new one waiting!

I did use a little Motoseal around it! Im really surprised it has a leak! I have to replace it now beacuse I tried using the screwdriver hook method and the rubber is tore up. I have a new one waiting!
dang saws can drive u nuts when they act up!! I plan on buying a stihl puller but most guys use the screwdriver method! My local stihl shop mechanic is the owner and mechanic and he doesnt even own the stihl puller. If u have a local stihl shop that has a puller they can get it right out for u

I know this iis fairly unorthodox but I needed to pull the seal on my bikes main trans shaft. I don't have a puller so I gound down a utility blade with the hook I needed.

I tacked an old screwdriver to the outside of the blade to pull with. The utility blade is thin enough to slip between the seal and the shaft and is strong.

pic?
I know this iis fairly unorthodox but I needed to pull the seal on my bikes main trans shaft. I don't have a puller so I gound down a utility blade with the hook I needed.

I tacked an old screwdriver to the outside of the blade to pull with. The utility blade is thin enough to slip between the seal and the shaft and is strong.

Latest posts

Back