Stihl 391 vs 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shil2.jpg

stihl.jpg

looking again, it appears the owner never flipped his bar once.
the standard wear marks on the bottom near the powerhead from using the bucking spikes,,and then the worn paint on the top of the bar towards the tip from making undercuts. i wouldnt buy a saw from someone that doesnt know youre supposed to flip the bar.

I hope the guy did not misquote me the 362; I see it for sale @ ~$700 at other places.

if I knew of the price diff I would have bought it immediately over the phone. Reviews seeeeeem to be good about it - more bulkier and 1 lb heavier than the 361, a bit more HP....

matt

Thats too much for that 361 used IMO. I see them sell on Ebay for around 500 new. There's a few nice 362's for sale on Ebay too. Hard to find a deal on the Bay anymore but you can every now and then.

I got this one for 500 bucks:
ms3613-1.jpg

I feel the deal was right since it's an "R" model. Prolly costed alot more than the regular 361. Not sure what it would have costed new. Wish someone who knows would tell me.

you're in Luck!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Well, I called over 15 places today, some of which checked their satellite branches with no success. Told over and over they were discontinued in 8/09

One place said they could order it ( $650) I actually do not think they can as a few stores went to the supplier already and the supplier checked all around and did not find any..

or I can get a used one said to have very little mileage on it for $550.
on craigslist: posting says" 2 year old Stihl Pro Grade MS 361 chainsaw with a 20" bar. Used lightly, still in great condition. $550 "

shil2.jpg

stihl.jpg

Or, I can get the replacment of the 361 which is the 362 for $575. (new & I guess with a warranty)

I have not yet checked on the specs for the 362, but probably in the end ask if you all heard anything about the 362 & get your opinions.....

Thanks so much!

Matt

I'm going back to Tennessee this weekend.I can pick up that new one for you.Not sure if you're on my way.I'll be coming 78 west to 81 south and reverse.

coming from the GS parkway.by Allentown and Cabelas.

you ever been into that cabellas over there in hamburg?
ive been there 3-4 times and still dont think ive seen everything.. the man-made mountain inside is unreal, the big walk through aquarium and everything, awesome place

coming from the GS parkway.by Allentown and Cabelas.

ive been there 3-4 times and still dont think ive seen everything.. the man-made mountain inside is unreal

you got dorney park on the way too, right on the side of 78 there in allentown, you can see it from the road, stop in and hit some water slides

Fishercat:

78/81 near Harrisburg is about 1.5 hours from me, I could do that..depending on your route, maybe even a closer spot.

what is the cost of the new 361? - if you want you can email/PM me..

Thank you for the very kind offer!

matt

Never been to Hamburg, sounds very interesting, no nothing about a man made mountain, I iwll have
to look into that...... I'll have to read up on the whole area. Only about 1 hr from me, which is
not bad at all.....

Last edited:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Well, I called over 15 places today, some of which checked their satellite branches with no success. Told over and over they were discontinued in 8/09

One place said they could order it ( $650) I actually do not think they can as a few stores went to the supplier already and the supplier checked all around and did not find any..

or I can get a used one said to have very little mileage on it for $550.
on craigslist: posting says" 2 year old Stihl Pro Grade MS 361 chainsaw with a 20" bar. Used lightly, still in great condition. $550 "

shil2.jpg

stihl.jpg

Or, I can get the replacment of the 361 which is the 362 for $575. (new & I guess with a warranty)

I have not yet checked on the specs for the 362, but probably in the end ask if you all heard anything about the 362 & get your opinions.....

Thanks so much!

Matt

I believe the ms361 with the quick stop chain break on the rear handle is still available through dealers, that might be the model that the shop quoted you $650 on.? At least hear in Canada thats the way it was 2 months ago.

Last edited:
None of the dealers said they had anykind of 361, supplier checked all their branches said they might have 1, but did not. If fishercat comes through I wont have to buy a 362. Maybe is different in Canada..but a little far from me.
m

I like to travel at night.

ive been there 3-4 times and still dont think ive seen everything.. the man-made mountain inside is unreal

you got dorney park on the way too, right on the side of 78 there in allentown, you can see it from the road, stop in and hit some water slides

If it's open,I stop at Cabelas.That's one of my rules in life.Never pass an open Cabelas and not stop.there is one 5 minutes from my house but it's a smaller one.not bad but the one in Hamburg and the one in Michigan are friggin' huge. People are nicer too cause they ain't New Englanders.

I would rather smash my testicles with a meat tenderizer than go in an amusement park!

here is the info.

Fishercat:

78/81 near Harrisburg is about 1.5 hours from me, I could do that..depending on your route, maybe even a closer spot.

what is the cost of the new 361? - if you want you can email/PM me..

not sure of the cost.I could call.Maybe you could get ahold of them if I get you the # and have it all paid for and ready to go.

I'll get the info and find out the price.

Thank you for the very kind offer!

matt

Never been to Hamburg, sounds very interesting, no nothing about a man made mountain, I iwll have
to look into that...... I'll have to read up on the whole area. Only about 1 hr from me, which is
not bad at all.....

This is for the MS 361..................

Ace Hardware of Dixie Lee Junction

19670 Highway 11 E
Lenoir City, TN 37772

865-988-5285

They supposedly have a few. They want $599 with a 20"bar and chain. The guy I talked to said they might negotiate because they sell the Farm Boss most of the time. The person to talk to is Peter.He will be there from 11 AM until 7 PM today. Eastern Standard Time.

Tried calling peter at Ace in Tennesse, 3x, but was never in....

will try tomorrow (mon) just for the heck of it & see how far he will come down....needs to come down 10% -cause of their 9.6% tax ..

but it it prob too late to make arrangements with you anyway about this.... Thanks still for offering!

not too late.soonest ill go home is wednesday.looks like thursday it's not too late.

Soonest I'm going home is Wednesday. My guess is Thursday.

lol small world that ace is 10 min from my house... did you call cox power i got mine from them for 542. with 18 in. bar let me know if i can help..

Back