Stihl 391 vs 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man,

I have never been to a site where people are so willing to help other people - even strangers.!!!!!!!!
I called a Stihl place near me again to ask about the pricing of the 362 they had, I see online from various stores they go for $669

The guy said he would sell me the 362 for $575 w/18 inch bar, $585 for 20 inch bar - which sounds good.

I dont know if the 20" would be so big it would be more in the way.. what determines when you need a 20 vs 18 bar? - do people have a tree diameter in mind?

Getting the 361 involves quite a few people, so this will be easier, and still a good saw, again I ma very thankful for your help

Thanks!

Matt

I did find a comparison thread

(1) Stihl 361 vs. (2)Stihl 362

Power: 1) 4.4 bhp ................... 2) 4.6 bhp * the EU 361 has 4.6 bhp, the same as the US 362 (purely a muffler issue).
Weight: 1) 12.3 lb ........................... 2) 13.0 lb
P/Wt: 1) 0.358 bhp/lb................ 2) 0.354 bhp/lb
Smooth: 1) 2.9/3.6 m/s²...............2) 3.5/3.5 m/s² left/right (362 is not much smoother, if at all)
Price: 1)$640 in Tennesee ;) ........... 2)$575

On the 362 they also added the centrifugal air filter system.

Again if you guys could give me some idea of bar size determination....I would appreciate it!

Matt

Thats one heck of a price! You could make some money on that price! I would jump on that.

20" man.

If nothing else, they just look weird with 18" or shorter. The 20" is just two more inches, but two more you may need. They also balance better with the 20 I think.

IMO, they we're just meant to run a 20" bar. Do yourself a favor and get the ES bar, not the plain E bar. And get a yellow label chain, not the green. It will cut alot better with those things.

Thanks Anthony,

Guess it would help balance a bit and prob will not add too much more weight.

I am at my max for spending, so I think an ES bar will have to wait.
Being a newbie not sure what an ES bar is, and yellow vs green label...

I think I will be asking a LOT of questions on here........:greenchainsaw:

newbie.gif

Matt

and 78 goes right by mine, about 1.5 miles away, drop me off something on the way too

Ok Banshee, that puts you within a few towns of me. I'm closer to Flemington then Pittstown...I'll meet you in Clinton. Last one there buys. I'm thinking either Finnagles or the Clinton House. Bring some saws in case we need um !!!!:chainsaw:

Thanks Anthony,

Guess it would help balance a bit and prob will not add too much more weight.

I am at my max for spending, so I think an ES bar will have to wait.
Being a newbie not sure what an ES bar is, and yellow vs green label...

I think I will be asking a LOT of questions on here........:greenchainsaw:

newbie.gif

Matt

It's just the pro model bar. Made of steel instead of the cheap laminated E ars. The price difference is pennies. And the price of the yellow label chain is no different either.

Yellow=pro
Green=cheap and no good.:)
If you're buying it with a 20" bar, they should put you a Stihl rollomatic ES bar for no extra charge.

If you're going to get a great saw, might as well dress it in the best cutting bar/chain.

Ok, Thanks,

I'll see if he will do the switch!

Thanks Anthony

Matt

I mean, if anything, he might charge you 20 bucks. But I would insist he do that for you just for buying that saw.

The difference in the way it will cut and the longer lasting bar is well worth having.
2 types of yellow labeled chains are:
RS-rapid super
RM-rapid micro.
The RS chain (Rapid Super) is a full chisel chainand will cut a little smoother and faster than the than the RM chain (Rapid Micro). But the RM chain will stay sharper than the RS in dirty wood. Both will cut alot better than the safety chains (Green label).

The Stihl Rollomatic ES bar (yellow label) is made of solid steel and has a tip that can be changed. The Rollomatic E bar (green label) is a laminated bar and won't last as long as the ES.

So I would pick from those chains the one that best suits your needs and Tell him to put that bar/chain on the saw. A good dealer will definetly do it.

Man,

I have never been to a site where people are so willing to help other people - even strangers.!!!!!!!!
I called a Stihl place near me again to ask about the pricing of the 362 they had, I see online from various stores they go for $669

The guy said he would sell me the 362 for $575 w/18 inch bar, $585 for 20 inch bar - which sounds good.

I dont know if the 20" would be so big it would be more in the way.. what determines when you need a 20 vs 18 bar? - do people have a tree diameter in mind?

Getting the 361 involves quite a few people, so this will be easier, and still a good saw, again I ma very thankful for your help

Thanks!

Matt

I did find a comparison thread

(1) Stihl 361 vs. (2)Stihl 362

Power: 1) 4.4 bhp ................... 2) 4.6 bhp * the EU 361 has 4.6 bhp, the same as the US 362 (purely a muffler issue).
Weight: 1) 12.3 lb ........................... 2) 13.0 lb
P/Wt: 1) 0.358 bhp/lb................ 2) 0.354 bhp/lb
Smooth: 1) 2.9/3.6 m/s²...............2) 3.5/3.5 m/s² left/right (362 is not much smoother, if at all)
Price: 1)$640 in Tennesee ;) ........... 2)$575

Again if you guys could give me some idea of bar size determination....I would appreciate it!

Matt

Did they by chance tell you just what the centrifugal air filter system is??

Thats what I was wondering. Did they say that it was something they added to the saw? :confused:

That is the filtration system that Husky and some other have been using for a while. Stihl began to add this with their strato saws.

That is the filtration system that Husky and some other have been using for a while. Stihl began to add this with their strato saws.

Exactly, so did they tell him they added it to his saw? Sounds like some BS'ers if they did, right?

Maybe it just reads like that but...

just wondering if they told him it was something they(dealers) were adding to his saw, or if they just told him his saw had that setup.

Exactly, so did they tell him they added it to his saw? Sounds like some BS'ers if they did, right?

Maybe it just reads like that but...

just wondering if they told him it was something they(dealers) were adding to his saw, or if they just told him his saw had that setup.

I must have read it differently than you. I thought he was just comparing the two saws features. New saw has it old one does not kinda thing.

No, the deatler did not tell me he was adding it to the saw, it is just one of the said improvments to it over the 361 that I found on the net. Just wanted to see the comparisons and posted them. It is said the 362 is bigger "clunkier" than the 361 which is a bummer, and the 362 is only less than a pound heavier than the 361 - so that aint too bad

Thanks again for the chain info - he is giving me a "break" of $10 having the 20 bar instead of the 18. hopefully he will not grumble about the diff chain.

matt

Last edited:
Called the dealer today ( if he is a dealer, sounds like he is on the road a lot between the Stihl carrying stores). I know he cannot stay on the cell phone long as Delaware gives you a big fine if they see you using it while driving...

Did not say for sure he would put on the chains&bar I requested, only said he would have to order them - said he sells what they come with, so we'll see.

M

Did not say for sure he would put on the chains&bar I requested, only said he would have to order them - said he sells what they come with, so we'll see.

M

he sells chainsaws but doesnt have any extra bars or chains for sale in his store that sells chainsaws?

he sells chainsaws but doesnt have any extra bars or chains for sale in his store that sells chainsaws?

I agree that does sound a bit odd, especially for a Stihl dealer. I have had some of the box stores tell me that they would not swap out bars on Huskys. Every Stihl dealer I have ever been around wuld swap out a bar for very little $ without so much as a sigh.

I must have read it differently than you. I thought he was just comparing the two saws features. New saw has it old one does not kinda thing.

Yea, I believe you're right after a looked at it again. He was just telling us what they told him that the saw had.
I'm a goof sometimes.:givebeer:

yea, he (dealer) sounds like an a-hole. Any dealer I have seen will get the bar and chain you request on a new saw if it's ordered.

They charge an extra 10 bucks every size up. He must just want to sell the saw, get his cash, and get you down the road. That sux. I don't buy it that he can't tell them what bar/chain to put on it.

Well, anyways. I think the 20' ES bar goes for around 45-50 bucks and the chain will be 20-25 bucks. If you can get the cash together one day, they will really let the saw cut better. just the chain will help it cut really. The yellow labele bars just last longer.

I would insist on gettin the ES bar. Laminated bars not only wear out faster, but they bend easily. If you have used a chainsaw much, you know how frustrating it is to pinch your saw in a tree, pull it out, and discover that you have bent the bar!

I bought my 362 with a 20" ES bar and RMC chain. This is the first solid bar that I have cut with (not to mention the first pro saw), and I have pinched it a few times yet have not managed to bend it. The solid bar is so much stronger. You really don't want to get a weak bar on such an awesome chainsaw. By the way, the 362 is an excellent chainsaw. You are making a wise purchase!

They shop in De did not originallly have that model in, so 2 days ago, the dealer found one in Pa, went to pick it up from Pa to bring it to De where I would buy it at an equipment center. De = No tax ! Pa, -where I live- = 6% tax. but I do work in DE so will pick it up after work.

I hate paying tax, the Gov has enough of my money already!:cry:

talked to him briefly today and said he is going again to Pa where they have the ES bar, and the chain I asked for, bring it back to De to have "the guys" swap it out-

He did not mention any price increase...forgot to ask him specifically, I had to get back to work :dizzy:

So tomorrow I schould have the saw in hand! If my camera still works, I'll take a picture of it & post it! :greenchainsaw:

Back