Stihl 391 vs 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be better off saving a few pennies and buying a good used 440 instead. It's the saw the 361 wishes it was. Not that much bigger at all, but more "bigger saw" traits. JMHO.

Or better yet a 460. It really is the saw a 440 wishes it was. Same weight, more power. To me a 36 has it's merits as a small saw. I wish it hadn't gained .7lbs as the 362. That hurts it when compared to the 460.

Shoot, a 60cc saw with 20-inch bar is probably the best all-around saw/bar combo anywhere. Unless you log for a living.

Great for firewood, felling medium-sized trees and down, arborist work. It's the best one-saw plan out there for the average guy. Two saw plan? THEN I'd be talking about a 70+ cc Stihl with 50cc Stihl, the 440/460 and 260.

Take the best deal you can get on that 361 and go cut until you can't cut any longer. Then rest and cut some more! :D

Well, I finally got the ES bar for the 362, I'm ok with the green chain as according to Sthil, less kickback so for me, a novice, its a good way to start. Got the whole thing for 575.00
Dealer said he should not have quoted me what he did as he took a loss.
Well, I did not force him or anything.........

So I'm happy.

Will be back to ask about sharpening techinques...maybe I'll watch some youtube on it if there is any....

Thanks for everyones input! Greatly appreciated!

Matt

Well, I finally got the ES bar for the 362, I'm ok with the green chain as according to Sthil, less kickback so for me, a novice, its a good way to start. Got the whole thing for 575.00
Dealer said he should not have quoted me what he did as he took a loss.
Well, I did not force him or anything.........

So I'm happy.

Will be back to ask about sharpening techinques...maybe I'll watch some youtube on it if there is any....

Thanks for everyones input! Greatly appreciated!

Matt

Congrats on a great saw. Killer price too!:rock:

Good deal man! You will love that saw. Let us know how she treats you and post us some pics! :rock:

Will do give me a day or 2!

Saw Trol said:
Well, I would insist on not getting the ES bar, as the E is a very nice and light one!

ARgh! Don't do that to me! Dealer was upset he commited to do it!

Matt

Will do give me a day or 2!

Saw Trol said:
Well, I would insist on not getting the ES bar, as the E is a very nice and light one!

ARgh! Don't do that to me! Dealer was upset he commited to do it!

Matt

dont worry.. thats just saw troll trying to ruin someones elses joy of a new saw.. dont mind him

the dealer is just upset because the ES bars are more expensive (for good reason) than the E bars. your dealer should have known this before making a deal with you, his fault, not yours

Yeah, ole Troll at it again. The E bars are fine on the saws like the 260 and smaller, the 362 should have the tougher ES anyway.:bowdown:

No, the E will always be preferable, also on 60cc saws - but people are told different so often on here by ignorant posters, that they often will believe it is true - and pass that "info" on!

No, the E will always be preferable, also on 60cc saws - but people are told different so often on here by ignorant posters, that they often will believe it is true - and pass that "info" on!

LOL, the E is a laminated bar with no replaceable tip. The ES is a solid bar with a replaceable tip. You can get the ES with wide and narrow nose, if you need to bore. In my neck of the woods, the ES is prefered. We must be ignorant or like well built bars, you decide.:D

thats why i run husky bars on my stihl saws , much better quality than stihl

LOL, the E is a laminated bar with no replaceable tip. The ES is a solid bar with a replaceable tip. You can get the ES with wide and narrow nose, if you need to bore. In my neck of the woods, the ES is prefered. We must be ignorant or like well built bars, you decide.:D

:greenchainsaw: My issue is that a lot of members tend to speak for any "HD" solution, even though lighter and more fitting ones actually exist - some seem to think this is some competition in "manhood", where everything needs to be as "HD" as possible

- to make the poster "look" better!

:greenchainsaw: My issue is that a lot of members tend to speak for any "HD" solution, even though lighter and more fitting ones actually exist - some seem to think this is some competition in "manhood", where everything needs to be as "HD" as possible

- to make the poster "look" better!

I agree ST!
But I do think the ES bars last longer than the E bars. The replaceable tip does'nt matter as much to me since I've never had to replace one. The ES seems to hold up better to bending and the rails last longer.

So I agree on your "issue", but not on the E -vs- ES argument. :) But to a certain extent I do. I think there's a place for each bar. I only run E bars on my 260. Not enough big cutting to need he ES.

:cheers:

I agree ST!
But I do think the ES bars last longer than the E bars. The replaceable tip does'nt matter as much to me since I've never had to replace one. The ES seems to hold up better to bending and the rails last longer.

So I agree on your "issue", but not on the E -vs- ES argument. :) But to a certain extent I do. I think there's a place for each bar. I only run E bars on my 260. Not enough big cutting to need he ES.

:cheers:
Of course the ES bars will last longer if none of them are abused - I never disputed that - and certainly there is a place for both......

Back