Stihl MS 362 vs MS 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am in need of a more powerful chainsaw. I have a Stihl 026 but it is not powerful enough for some large trees that have fallen on my property. I am looking for a saw with a 24" bar. Today I went to the Stihl dealer and he showed me an MS 362 and an MS 391. He said either one would serve my purpose but he indicated that the MS 362 has more torque and would be best. I just want the saw for use around my little farm and not commercial or professional use. I am leaning towards the MS 362.

I was wondering what the members thought of these 2 saws and which might be best. There is also an MS 362 C-Q with a special chain braking feature. Should this feature be a consideration? If there are other Stihl models that I should look at please post. I am hoping to buy in the next day or two. Thanks for the feedback.

Either would be fine for ocasional use with a 24" b&c. My 362 pulls a 25"er just fine. If it is just for ocasional use the 391 would serve your purposes just fine and save you a few hundred bucks. If you plan on running the 25" bar more often the 441cm would be a great choice. You will be happy with any of them, and propperly maintained will last you a long time.

362 is definately better, its a professional grade saw. More power, lighter weight, better quality. if you are going to be using all 24" of the bar alot, may want to consider the next step up, the 441.

Get the 362 over the 391 the oiler on the 362 is way better (I run a 362 w 25" every day at work) the 362 will work just fine with that setup and the antivibe on the 362 is sweet.... For $130 more I wouldn't think twice between these two saws

Thanks for the replies. The 362 will be number one now. I will compare with the 441 model. I will post what I end up buying. BTW, I love my 026. I purchased it back sometime around 90-93 as I recall. It has been trouble free.

The 441 is the way to go if you have the extra coin as it can handle a 32" bar occasionally if needed but from what you say you'll be doing the 362 will work fine, just get the es bar even tho its a little heavier its solid, not hollow and much harder to damage if a tree pinches it.

I bought a ms362 with a 20" bar it is a great saw. But I wish I had spent a little more and got a 441 or a 460/461. If your looking for a saw to pull a 25" in big wood a 362 will do it but not with authority. In a big saw I want something that you cant bog down. I may trade the 362 in we'll see.

I bought a ms362 with a 20" bar it is a great saw. But I wish I had spent a little more and got a 441 or a 460/461. If your looking for a saw to pull a 25" in big wood a 362 will do it but not with authority. In a big saw I want something that you cant bog down. I may trade the 362 in we'll see.

My ported 461 pullls its 25" bar burried in hedge with authority lol

I believe your dealer told yea right about those two saws. The 362 is a more comfort of a saw to operate if you use it most of the day!

Don't forget the rule of thumb on cc's vs bar length

I've often read here the recommended max bar length is 1/3 of the cc displacement of the saw motor. So I think you're talking 70 cc class here, as several have recommended, for a 24 or 25 inch bar.

In my somewhat limited experience, it's a good rule of thumb.

I'd say a 362 w/20" bar because a 25" bar would be too nose heavy. Torque is your friend. If you consistently require a 25" bar, you're more in 70cc territory if it's hardwood to be cut.

Ok, I am looking at the 441. The catalog that I have lists the MS 441 and the MS 441 C-M. The C-M is listed as New. Which model to go with?

441 c-m. This has the stihl "m-tronic" like the Husky autotune carb. No first had knowledge just have heard many a time this is the one to get over the standard 441. Could be a difference in price there though.

The c m version has m-tronic carb that auto adjusts carb. Imo this is the way to go for a work saw or for someone not familiar with carb tuning as you can just run it day in day out without worrying about running the saw lean. A little more expensive but worth it if you are going the 441 route.

You must have last years catalog, the 2013 catalog only lists the 441 c q and 441 c m. Of course it also has the 241 inside the front cover next to Nikolas' foot but we can't even get it in the epa controlled USA...

Back