Talk me (homeowner) into or out of new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really think you need to swing a saw full time for 5 years to have an idea of reliability? :laughing: I repair them for comercial maintenance crews, landscapers and get work sent my way by one of the largest Stihl shops in our state.:rolleyes:
Then you should well know the newer stuff lasts just as long as the older stuff ever did. With vast improvements, in fuel economy, vibration and air filtration. All your constant banging new equipment is 99% pure bs. There no logging crew running saws for more then 2-3 years around here, and tree trimmers/ arborist saws usually die from causes other then quality failures, and usually get turned in between 5-8 years if they make it that long. Been working on equipment way longer then you have, and have actual experience using saws in commercial settings. Outside of issues with certain models there's been little proof to convince me newer saws won't last as long as older saws.

I'm a homeowner with some uncleared rural property in North Carolina. I have 3 trees in my backyard on the ground thanks to Hurricane Helene. The biggest is an oak with a diameter at the base of about 24 inches.
I have a 20 year old Stihl MS360 which does OK with smaller limbs but due to the age has some reliability and performance issues. I have researched the current Stihl saws and am tempted to buy a MS400 which I saw in a shop today with a price of about $1079 . There is a chance of getting a small reimbursement from FEMA, about $219 , because my home is in a disaster area. Yes, I know the 400 is probably more than I need, and could fall back to the MS261C , or just keep plugging away with the old saw after I work on it some more, put on a new bar and chain, and so on. Thoughts ?
The 400 should serve you well, It pulls a 25 inch bar with ease the 261 is a nice saw too.

20231008_151326.jpg

Then you should well know the newer stuff lasts just as long as the older stuff ever did. With vast improvements, in fuel economy, vibration and air filtration. All your constant banging new equipment is 99% pure bs. There no logging crew running saws for more then 2-3 years around here, and tree trimmers/ arborist saws usually die from causes other then quality failures, and usually get turned in between 5-8 years if they make it that long. Been working on equipment way longer then you have, and have actual experience using saws in commercial settings. Outside of issues with certain models there's been little proof to convince me newer saws won't last as long as older saws.
The same things that apply here, apply to the 500i, 462’s and your beloved 400. Run what you want, but you’re kidding yourself if you think newer is better in reliability, strength and longevity. If you care to look inside a 500i you’d see just how terrible the standards the pistons are made to. I’ve seen 661 cylinders have overhanging plating on the intake and exhaust. The 500i air filter is terrible with people having to modify them just to stop fines and springs so loose that people sell upgrade spring kits. The top cover vibrates loose and can’t be tightened and the air filter cover quickly loosens too. Side covers are cracking left right and centre. The 462 had a cylinder, case and piston change shortly after release, reports of cases cracking.
The magnesium piston concept on the 400 lasted what, a few years, that model has already been superseeded… and If you don’t let the modern m/tronic saw’s idle for long enough after cutting, it won’t restart, it has to calibrate itself… I like Stihl, but I know crap when I see it and things aren’t getting better imo.

If I'm not hijacking the thread by asking; I loath most new stuff in general (battery operated tools being one big exception) and while I'm not looking to argue about old vs new, I'm curious if you're aware of any modern exceptions to the build quality issues noted in the video. I have an MS261 (no mtronic) and a new Echo CS-355T on the way. I also have an old Stihl 011AVT that I'm super fond of, but can't get to run. Considering the market of the day for the 011, I don't think there's anything comparable, price wise today, to its build quality - it's a tough little gremlin. Again, I could be delusional, but I love old tools, especially 'old' saws. The new stuff, subjective or not, does seem cheap in comparison. And the autonomous carburetor stuff infuriates me too. The kitchen is one thing, but I don't want a dadgum nanny in my saw.

Back