The Traveling Leveraxe/Leveraxe 2 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope to get it a day early so I can process some of the ash and red oak I have to attend to. Then of to Bobs (spike60) gtg so all the other guys can enjoy it. We'll see what the conasoir of maul CT thinks of it, hahahaha

Hope to get it a day early so I can process some of the ash and red oak I have to attend to. Then of to Bobs (spike60) gtg so all the other guys can enjoy it. We'll see what the conasoir of maul CT thinks of it, hahahaha

Were you thinking of connoisseur, Matthew? (French word.) That's not me. Never been a fanboy or "true-believer" of any fads either. Like Bob, I try to keep an open mind and eschew BS and stampedes.

As you should know by now, I'll be bringing a variety of wood-busting tools (sorry, no fiskars) that you, too, can try. For cultural enrichment or whatever. (I found a Council Tools 6-pounder for a riciculously low price delivered, but it'll arrive next week from CA.)

I am a fan of supporting quality US mfgs.

Don't worry CT I'll cover the fiskars, and yeah I never was all too good at spelling and this tablet doesn't have spell check. Hopefully we can keep the guys from making to many cookies so we'll have plenty of wood to split. And I'll go out on a limb now and say this, there may be a better log splitting tool out there, but for the price..........I don't think, I know, you can't beat the fiskars. What does husqvarnas new splitting axes sell for? If priced close enough to a x27 they might just give it a run for the money, we will see. Either way I'm sure Saturday will be a fun day.

Don't worry CT I'll cover the fiskars, and yeah I never was all too good at spelling and this tablet doesn't have spell check. Hopefully we can keep the guys from making to many cookies so we'll have plenty of wood to split. And I'll go out on a limb now and say this, there may be a better log splitting tool out there, but for the price..........I don't think, I know, you can't beat the fiskars. What does husqvarnas new splitting axes sell for? If priced close enough to a x27 they might just give it a run for the money, we will see. Either way I'm sure Saturday will be a fun day.

Actually, for funzies, do a stacked up cookie split-off, like them karate doods break multiple boards.

Steve, wife came back from food shopping and there was one of those orange sorry we missed you notes. Gonna send her to post office in the A.M. to pick it up

Dunno about splitting axes. An oxymoron, IMO, except for processing kindling. I know a few who fervently wish they'd never used an axe for splitting wood. Broken tibia (lower leg) from hitting it with an axe is a serious mess.

Ask Bob about the Hultafors splitting maul they brand as "Husqvarna", for an authoritative answer. Really nice tool, can't distinguish it from Wetterlings 2.5 kg maul, of which I'll be bringing one for your entertainment. Purely up to Bob if he thinks that the new Husqvarna tool should be in the "lineup". You know, the one that got somebody's feathers so ruffled.

As mentioned, a Council Tools 6 lb maul will be arriving here early next week. Ridiculously low price, details later, MUCH less than even a fiskars X-? at a PX. I got one of their 3.5 lb Jersey Pattern axes for ~same price in spring. Very nicely made- Steve glommed onto it pretty quick for cutting some PI vines in July. Seemed a no-brainer to order that maul for such a crazy low price. Time'll tell. Maybe at Jimmy's? You can DAGS on their 6 lb axe-handle maul.

I'll have a few other wood-busters for you to play with. It'd be cool to have a blind test to avoid pre-judgement, but Bob's insuror might have a coronary. Don't really want to get on YouTube or make page 1. :ices_rofl:

We could shoot for target lengths to buck some logs to, for consistency of test subjects, if Bob goes for it and wants some splits. Win-win. Looks like it'll be a beautiful day tomorrow. There'll be an Echo CS-590 to check out, too.

20141017_223019.jpg Well I hope that your gear is ready, cause Im all set. I was surprised at how light this leveraxe is. Oh BTW I showed my pops the version 1.0 and he said cast, nodular then heat treated, he told me forged would probably cost too much. But who knows, that's just the opinion of a guy with his masters in engineering.........

View attachment 374359 Well I hope that your gear is ready, cause Im all set. I was surprised at how light this leveraxe is. Oh BTW I showed my pops the version 1.0 and he said cast, nodular then heat treated, he told me forged would probably cost too much. But who knows, that's just the opinion of a guy with his masters in engineering.........
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the LA.

Depends.

In short, small and/or straight grained wood the Leveraxe will outpace other tools because the tool stops at the top of the wood, saving time and energy (see infomercial on Youtube, it really does work just like that). The traditional splitting axe and Fiskars split just as well but go all of the way through the split making more work as you need to pull the axe out of the pile of splits. Also the lightness of the head makes it effortless to swing. Maul goes through too but takes more "umph" to swing which ends up transferring excess energy into the splitting block. But, you need to make small splits with the Leveraxe. If you try biting off too big of a piece you'll find the cutting edge buried in the wood. *Side note: If someone down the line has one of those new Husky axes or a X25 this could end up in a horse race to see who can split more wood. The X27 is just too big of a tool for splitting small stuff

As an all around "one tool splits most" this does not match the Fiskars. Although IMO neither does any tool I've tried, up to this point. (Yeah, yeah drink the Kool-Aid LOL.) The Leveraxe doesn't like knots. The Fiskars will buck decent knots, to a point.

In full disclosure most of the wood I split today was in the 18-20" length. The stuff I split the other day was shorter and that's where the LA shines. But my three main burning units are a boiler, traditional fireplace, and sauna stove so I wanted to try it for my wood, not to repeat what we know already works.

Regarding shock on hands/arms/elbows: I wore soft gloves (the yellow cotton ones with red wristbands) and there was no felt stress on hands or arms with the tool stopping dead at the top of the split. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I experienced some hand slap when using the LA without gloves.

In summary: A very well built tool that works very well when used for making small splits or with shorter rounds. NOT a Fiskars/Splitting axe/maul replacement but rather a complimentary tool. Off the top of my head someone with a smaller potbelly or high efficiency stove could get good use out of this.

The LA is off to @MechanicMatt in the morning for Spike's GTG next weekend.

Nice write up, it tells me everything I need to know about it and confirms everything I thought. No sense in me asking for a turn as all my wood is 18-20" and I'm not into splitting kindlen. 6-8" rounds are halved in my pile so this tool does no provide me any value. I'd sill like to swing it a few times if I was going to a GTG but I'm not. Maybe in the future...

20141018_121732.jpg Well guys, the GTG was a great time. I wish I could say I had a great time with the leveraxe, but I did not. In fairness, we had larger red oak........and well the leveraxe, even when I was attacking the edges, well it stunk. The fiskars did a great job and CT's wetterlings handled it with ease as well. The wetterlings is in the middle of the picture, the fiskars is the DARTH VADER device. There was one gentleman that was swinging it with good luck, but that was after we had busted the red oak up. I have a pile of nice straight grained ash at my BIL's house, Im gonna give it a second chance in that wood. But as for the red oak, it was a flop. Im not going to argue which axe in the picture was the best, because I'll admit that the cheap price of the fiskars skews my opinion. But oh well Ill tell you guys any way, its fiskars/wetterlings. The wetterlings is a awesome maul, but for the price, ill stick with my fiskars.

Back