The Traveling Leveraxe/Leveraxe 2 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well tomorrow night I'll have to try it out on the ash at the BIL then its off to oklahoma. $250 you gotta be kidding me! This thing is a piece of stamped steel with a handle! If they get the price point down to x27 territory I know one guy that would buy one, once Bucky heard it was over a benjamin he wasn't interested. And I had smooth leather gloves on, his hands are his gloves. Shake his hand and it feels like your gripping 60 grit.

Tried some ash tonight with mixed results. Did reasonably well in pieces 18 inches and shorter, longer than that and I guess I'm too much of a wimp to generate enough speed. Poor CT sent me a pic of his ankle........ouch! When this thing does work it releases some real energy, he was about 15 feet away and that split whollopped him good. Sugest a bungee or a rubber tire to protect bystanders.

I did not use it, but I have seen Matt split wood for years. He broke right through stuff w/the Fiskars that the Leveraxe was not touching.

Some may like it for some wood, but I've split 32" Chestnut Oak through the middle with a Fiskars, and I'll stick with it.

Wish I got to try CT's maul, but the splitting rounds were not cut till I had to go. Next GTG ...

Ohh, and Bob's ported 372 is a fast saw! Had a 20" bar on it, needed a longer bar, felt like U were cutting with a 16".

Tried some ash tonight with mixed results. Did reasonably well in pieces 18 inches and shorter, longer than that and I guess I'm too much of a wimp to generate enough speed. Poor CT sent me a pic of his ankle........ouch! When this thing does work it releases some real energy, he was about 15 feet away and that split whollopped him good. Sugest a bungee or a rubber tire to protect bystanders.

Well, sorry CT got hurt, I know I razzed him on it, but really that sucks.

I think this leveraxe is designed for shorter european type firewood. Possibly if the blade was designed to go in deeper before the lever engaged it might work better in longer rounds.

Wasn't he wearing protective footwear at a chainsaw convention???

I just did not see any evidence that it works better than the Fiskars. If you can get it to work just as well some of the time, that is just not good enough, especially for the price.

Speaking of, I only paid $12 for my Fiskars X27. Amazon had them on sale for $42, I'd never used them before so they gave me a $30 credit to apply for their credit card, which I have not used since, and I got the Fiskars for $12! Best deal ever on a splitting device.

Well, sorry CT got hurt, I know I razzed him on it, but really that sucks.

I think this leveraxe is designed for shorter european type firewood. Possibly if the blade was designed to go in deeper before the lever engaged it might work better in longer rounds.

You would need more energy too. Might help to add mass to it.

More weight, or more speed. Fiskars works by speed and sharpness.

Yup, energy is in terms of mass and velocity... moot point but there is a trade off. Add more mass and get less speed. Maybe add more mass and increase the lever length. Mechanical advantage is important.

Yup, energy is in terms of mass and velocity... moot point but there is a trade off. Add more mass and get less speed. Maybe add more mass and increase the lever length. Mechanical advantage is important.

That was another design I can't build. Cantoo did the first, the hand held four way. My second design thought is to make something like an old timey halberd, sharp fair weight wedge on a LONG handle. Can't be too heavy, got to be able to aim the thing, but think of like a five or six foot swing. That'll build up some swing speed and kinetic force!

Wasn't he wearing protective footwear at a chainsaw convention???

I just did not see any evidence that it works better than the Fiskars. If you can get it to work just as well some of the time, that is just not good enough, especially for the price.

Speaking of, I only paid $12 for my Fiskars X27. Amazon had them on sale for $42, I'd never used them before so they gave me a $30 credit to apply for their credit card, which I have not used since, and I got the Fiskars for $12! Best deal ever on a splitting device.

Ya think, Mike? Not knowing from what direction cookies would be launched, of course I had steel-toed boots on. C'mon, I know about you guys. :D Problem was, Matt nailed me with a split, end-on in the side of the foot, just behind the steel toe & just above the sole. A "golden b-b" thing. I'd turned a a bit CCW to listen to another fellow, and Matt swung around a bit CCW. Stuff happens.

This evening the UPS man dropped off the 6 lb Council Tools maul I'd ordered. First impressions: really good forging with handle solidly attached. Head shape is much better than big-box or HF mauls, but will get some grinder-work to sharpen the edge and flatten some convexity about an inch past the edge- maybe 15 minutes work. There are some gaps between the handle and the eye-wall on the top side. Easily handled with some slow-setting epoxy. Pretty close to being ready to go for $20-something incl shipping from CA.

I'll post some pix for those curious about this 'Murican (NC) mfg. with initial use impressions as soon as the Nor'easter passes, in a new thread. Then make the necessary mods, and post a follow-up. Not rushing, it'll be earning its keep for some time when ready.

Sorry, but it doesn't have any bizarro twists and curliques, nor plastic.

If Jimmy hosts another GTG, in Jan., my guess is he'd appreciate some of us splitting wood for him while we test mauls; he has no use for cookies. Else, April near Saratoga might work for that for Steve. I'm going to have to put a red flashing light on Matt's hat to track him. :p

Ok guys maybe its me....... had my buddy Ritchie/Bucky, member buckyoak on here, well this guy made me look stupid with it today. Bucky's pops and him hosted the summer gtg here in NY and they sell firewood so this kid been around wood his whole life, well any way he was over checking ljt how much wood I still have left to split when I said "dude! I almost forgot, check this thing out" so with him and the wife watching I whacked some red oak rounds. The kinda broke but nothing clean, wife even shook her head in disgust.....well then that b@$t@rd said "let me try", I told him have at it. Well five rounds later I look like wimpy guy to my wife and he is asking me where he can get one...... told him to try amazon but that I thought they were over a $100, his reply was no thanks then. He actually liked how light it was!?!??? If I didn't see it....I would have never believed it works so well. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
The guy who made it work well probably was used to flipping his ax or maul when splitting and helped it along.

More weight, or more speed. Fiskars works by speed and sharpness.

So some allege. When Matt was trying mightily with the funky Finnish tool and a long-handle fiskars on some maple rounds, he was just pizzing them off. Then with a few swings of the 2.5 kg Wetterlings or 3 kg Mueller mauls, bada-bing, bada-boom. I'll let Matt speak for himself, but what I saw just confirmed my suspicions.

And, yes, Matt has lots of practice with fiskars, so someone (not saying who) can't allege that he didn't get into its program, that he didn't give it time so he could get in tune with it, or such poo. It works well with easy stuff and kindling.

Anybody see any big, hardwood trees in Finland? Can't be just coincidence, can it? Any speculation as to why the Swedes can get it done, besides master smiths? Yes, red oak is very polite about being split, almost stacks itself. :rolleyes:

So some allege. When Matt was trying mightily with the funky Finnish tool and a long-handle fiskars on some maple rounds, he was just pizzing them off. Then with a few swings of the 2.5 kg Wetterlings or 3 kg Mueller mauls, bada-bing, bada-boom. I'll let Matt speak for himself, but what I saw just confirmed my suspicions.

And, yes, Matt has lots of practice with fiskars, so someone (not saying who) can't allege that he didn't get into its program, that he didn't give it time so he could get in tune with it, or such poo. It works well with easy stuff and kindling.

Anybody see any big, hardwood trees in Finland? Can't be just coincidence, can it? Any speculation as to why the Swedes can get it done, besides master smiths? Yes, red oak is very polite about being split, almost stacks itself. :rolleyes:
Was there a reason you didn't try the Leveraxe personally? In fairness to the thread we gave priority to send the tool to GTG's over individual users. At this point we have only one real review from someone at Spike's GTG.....

Also if you care to stir up the old Fiskars debate please remember that I was the one telling Spike not to broad brush Fiskars advocates with those drink the Kool-aid type that think it's the silver bullet...I am one of the former, not latter.

Good point, I wish the splitting had started earlier, I would love to have tried it, even brought my Fiskars for comparison (didn't use that either).

I see U also have a Fiskars, so when U get to use them side by side, let us know what U think.

Good point, I wish the splitting had started earlier, I would love to have tried it, even brought my Fiskars for comparison (didn't use that either).

I see U also have a Fiskars, so when U get to use them side by side, let us know what U think.
Mike, see page 8, posts 13, 14, and 16 for my full review.

Mike, see page 8, posts 13, 14, and 16 for my full review.

After seeing it at the GTG and reading your review, I think U hit the nail right on the head.

Since I generally burn long wood (have a 55 gal drum stove) and like larger pieces, it is likely not designed for what I like to do.

For making smaller & shorter pieces, I could see where it would have a speed advantage (like for someone selling bundled firewood).

Thanks for making the arrangements to get it to GTG, it is always nice to see new technology first hand.

I have the original shorty handle narrower wedge head fiskars supersplitter, and also, based on your particular recommendation, the husky/wetterlings. Fiskars beats it in *my* hands. I like both, but can split easier in most wood with the fiskars. I would be perfectly willing to say the opposite if that was true.

I have yet to try an x27. I am not fond of them changing the head shape to be more generic axe shape, just based on looks and thinking about it. I am guessing that was a marketing over engineering decision. I like the more wedge shaped for splitting. But, like I said, never tried one of the newer models, so can't say for sure how I would like it, and don't have an axe budget right now for another one, although I am planning on trying the council tools one, when I do have an axe budget..

Back