The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like just beyond those 3 seedlings on the left there's enough room to get by. Ditch is graded nice right there. Get 'er done!

Caymans. The good life. Maybe Alaska. Get lost easy up there.

That's my plan for when the gov goes to pot. See ya all in the hills.

Wonder how much Spotted Owl surveys they did (supposedly) will be invalidated ?

Our next two jobs we are waiting on a spotted tree duck survey. The other one for the eagles. We are on a job now that we can't start till 7 and have to be done by 3 cause of the eagles nesting in the next unit over.

That went by me sideways as rain. Lots if smaller branches on the road this am. All the big stuff came down in the ice few weeks ago.

Oregon Power Match bars

Anybody been having trouble with them? I've run Oregon for years but lately I've noticed that their quality seems to be slipping.

I bought two new 36" bars recently. The first one ran the rails down way faster than it should have and I went through two nose sprockets in a couple of months. I was spending most of my spare time dressing rails and replacing sprockets. I expect a certain amount of wear and tear but everything wore out much faster than I'm used to seeing.

I put the other new bar on and what happened then decided me...no more Oregon bars. I walked in about a quarter mile, the saw on my shoulder like always. When I started on the first tree I noticed I was having trouble sawing straight and matching my cuts. The saw felt "draggy" too, like the chain wasn't running true. It wasn't full daylight yet so I figured maybe it was just me and my old eyes and maybe not paying enough attention. Got the tree on the ground, left a gnawed looking stump, but I've done worse.

When I started to buck the log I could really feel the "dragging". I tried to put a long run in the log and the saw would not cut straight. I stopped, looked at the bar and the damn thing had a bend in it. Pretty good one too. Not a sharp bend either like you'd get from pinching it...more of a long gentle bend...but enough to really make the bar useless.

I got to looking at it and the only thing I can figure is that walking in, with the saw on my shoulder, caused the weight of the powerhead to bend the bar. I carry the powerhead quite a ways back...it seems to balance better for me. I've never had a bar bend like that from just carrying it.

I've torn up a few bars (okay, more than a few) from hangups, drops, runaways, and all the usual stuff that happens but I've never had one do what that one did.

So, two new bars, one with rails about as tough as a Pepsi can, the other with a big curve in it that never cut any wood.

Anybody else having trouble with the long Oregon bars or did I just get a couple of lemons?

Anybody been having trouble with them? I've run Oregon for years but lately I've noticed that their quality seems to be slipping.

I bought two new 36" bars recently. The first one ran the rails down way faster than it should have and I went through two nose sprockets in a couple of months. I was spending most of my spare time dressing rails and replacing sprockets. I expect a certain amount of wear and tear but everything wore out much faster than I'm used to seeing.

I put the other new bar on and what happened then decided me...no more Oregon bars. I walked in about a quarter mile, the saw on my shoulder like always. When I started on the first tree I noticed I was having trouble sawing straight and matching my cuts. The saw felt "draggy" too, like the chain wasn't running true. It wasn't full daylight yet so I figured maybe it was just me and my old eyes and maybe not paying enough attention. Got the tree on the ground, left a gnawed looking stump, but I've done worse.

When I started to buck the log I could really feel the "dragging". I tried to put a long run in the log and the saw would not cut straight. I stopped, looked at the bar and the damn thing had a bend in it. Pretty good one too. Not a sharp bend either like you'd get from pinching it...more of a long gentle bend...but enough to really make the bar useless.

I got to looking at it and the only thing I can figure is that walking in, with the saw on my shoulder, caused the weight of the powerhead to bend the bar. I carry the powerhead quite a ways back...it seems to balance better for me. I've never had a bar bend like that from just carrying it.

I've torn up a few bars (okay, more than a few) from hangups, drops, runaways, and all the usual stuff that happens but I've never had one do what that one did.

So, two new bars, one with rails about as tough as a Pepsi can, the other with a big curve in it that never cut any wood.

Anybody else having trouble with the long Oregon bars or did I just get a couple of lemons?

Have not bought a new Oregon bar in two years. But this sounds like, hopefully just some lemons. I have been wondering about the shoulder bend with my reduced weight i just got, but i pack mine with the dawgs close to my shoulder more. Food for thought though.

is it the one with this style paint? the older ones like a couplle years old i don't have any problems with. this one i just got and havn't made but a dozen cuts with. so i don't know if they have gotten cheap or not.
attachment.php

is it the one with this style paint? the older ones like a couplle years old i don't have any problems with. this one i just got and havn't made but a dozen cuts with. so i don't know if they have gotten cheap or not.
attachment.php

Yup. Same bar. I hope you have better luck with yours than I did. I'll give Oregon a call first chance I get but I think I already know what they'll say.

I liked Oregon stuff and I always pretty much knew what to expect out of their stuff as far as wear goes. Now? Dunno.

Time for Stihl bars again.

And after looking at your workbench I feel a lot better about mine. LOLOL

Yup. Same bar. I hope you have better luck with yours than I did. I'll give Oregon a call first chance I get but I think I already know what they'll say.

I liked Oregon stuff and I always pretty much knew what to expect out of their stuff as far as wear goes. Now? Dunno.

I haven't had any luck at all with those new-style Oregon bars. They have to be made in China or something. I bought a 28" and the
tip blew out after about 20 minutes of cutting the first time. I bought a new tip and the second one made it two weeks.

The Stihl bars seem to be holding up fine.

Got some good reporters on that paper.
Looks like things got a lot more serious playing with Federal Tribal monies.
Website up in smoke.
Caymans or Mexico.

Update

Yeah, that website died just after I posted it.

Yep, better off growin' the herb, green dope is kinda ignored, at any rate it is a book and release, no bail needed.

I wish I could tell you what I know. Let's put it this way, in jail there is no expectation of privacy, I can't reveal the scope of our surveillance.

you sayin my bench is filthy? ........................................... your right.:laugh:

Same here, Bob, they were wearing out in no time. Switched to Tsumura bars, been happy ever since again!

Yeah, that website died just after I posted it.

Yep, better off growin' the herb, green dope is kinda ignored, at any rate it is a book and release, no bail needed.

I wish I could tell you what I know. Let's put it this way, in jail there is no expectation of privacy, I can't reveal the scope of our surveillance.

You just keep your mouth shut, Randy. That'll make a hell of a material for the book you'll write when retired.

Bob- I am averaging about tip a month. The bar is holding up, but I'll bet it was hanging in the saw shop for years. I would guess I am one of very few that buy anything longer than 20" around here. I put a new tip on about two weeks ago and its already wearing out pretty quickly. Its too bad because I have only ever run oregon and stihl bars. They did a bang up paint job on my 32"er though. I've never seen paint wear so long before.

My fingers are getting sore!! I'm going along on the 6 point hardhat restoration project. I'm not too smart at such thing so it took a lot of pondering, but I think this will work. I thought I had things backwards but I don't. I think....:msp_confused: I may get it finished if I don't stab myself too many times.

226759d1330545474-hardhat-restoration0001-jpg

View attachment 226759

Back