Vintage Stihl chainsaws....what do you guys suggest.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one looks sweet...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q48ebiIiENo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I own a few old ones,and the are fun to tinker with. But whatever you decide,get your pocket book out. I buy my parts @ cost,and i could still buy any new saw i wanted for the price in parts alone to fix up an old one. The are fun to play with,but parts are getting hard to find and expensive. I will say when i restore one,i make it better than new cond,so that is why they cost me so much.....

I have an 056 Mag II and it is really a horse. It will hold its own with modern saws but man is it heavy and loud. Got to love that huge triple port muffler on those things, no need to mod this muffler.

Steve

Mabey not the biggest or the baddest.
IMO A Stihl 050 AV is the coolest saw ever. I am biased though as my dad had one and now I own it, lots of great memories.

If I could own any saw I think it would be the 3120 XP.

This one looks sweet...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q48ebiIiENo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can't go wrong with the 045-056 series of saws. They run like raped apes, great late 70's early 80's saws. The only problem I'm aware of is the coil, but I haven't experienced this problem myself.

What could possible be cooler than a 77cc top-handled 07S? There's not another saw like it with the hinged "hood". They're strong runners, and surprisingly fast for their age.

270595583_4243u-M-1.jpg

270595739_QygRK-M-1.jpg

This shot is from before the restoration.
262755595_n6tdA-M-1.jpg

I actually have two of these. The one above is a dedicated shelf queen, and this one is my runner.
600396741_5RhoJ-M.jpg

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s5Go1QzqQb0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you're going to go through the trouble of tracking down NLA, hard to find, & potentially expensive parts, you might want to consider a model with good resale value. You never know when you might need to sell the saw in the future.

What could possible be cooler than a 77cc top-handled 07S? There's not another saw like it with the hinged "hood". They're strong runners, and surprisingly fast for their age.

270595583_4243u-M-1.jpg

That has to be one of the best looking 07S I have have seen. I'm trying to find a muffler for mine.

I would go with an 056. Great saw parts still can be found and they have loads of torque.

I really think the 041 is a good choice for a first, because it won't be your last!!!

There are still tons of 041 parts saws around, although I'm sure that won't last forever......Like others have mentioned, 031, 041,045, 056, 050, 051 and 075, are all classics.

I'm personally going to tackle an 041 as my first "older" Stihl build shortly, followed by an S10 and an 075.:msp_thumbup:

Brad.....That old 07 is a runner!!!!:msp_thumbsup:

I usualy let these comments go, but.....

If you want an example of a saw that pretty much put Homelite and McCulloch in the backseat, then yes, for sure get an 041 Stihl. They were the best in the 60cc category. Yes, the parts are getting hard to find, but the 041 will go on for years and years without a need for parts as long as the oiler and crank seals hold up.

Bob

There were legitimate reasons why McCulloch and Homelite faded from the pro saw scene.......................but none of them were the Stihl 041. It's a good saw, but it didn't outperform saws sold by Homelite and McCulloch at the time it was introduced. It's actualy an 'older design', more like the Homelite's and Macs of the late '60s than the 031, 048, 056, and other Stihls that came just a few years later.

Both Homelite and McCulloch had internal and external problems that brought their demise. Stihl and Husqvarna stepped in to take over the market share vacated by the poorly managed giants of the past.

Sorry Caleth for hyjacking the thread. Back on topic........

I recomend an 041 (yep) or 031 for a good first collector Stihl. I have a an 031AV 'project saw' with the earlier 'raised letter' top handle that I'd sell, or trade for the right saw and/or parts. Has an NOS piston/cylinder/rings and a bunch of good used replacement parts and a 16" .063g bar to go with it. Just needs some gaskets, a carb kit, a bit of cleaning, and you can assemble a nice old Stihl. You're welcome to send me a PM if interested...:D

I have had a 08,042,048,056av,090G,076 and510. Still have 056 mag II and 090.
There is a reason why I kept those two and sold the rest.

5-10 or S-10. Can not quite remember. Probably because it was not worth being part of my memory.

There were legitimate reasons why McCulloch and Homelite faded from the pro saw scene.......................but none of them were the Stihl 041. It's a good saw, but it didn't outperform saws sold by Homelite and McCulloch

Well, I am not one to get into an argument on the internet, but I certainly disagree with you. The Stihl 040 and then the 041 came out when the Homelite xl-12 family and Mac 10 series were king in the medium saw category (approx 60cc).

I know that these saws were simply inferior to the first 040/041 Stihl. The Stihl 040/041 ran better with more power than either of the offerings from these other saw companies. Quite honestly, there was no comparison.

Once the 041AV came out, the other brands simply had nothing with which to compete.

The lumberjacks FLOCKED to the 041AV,,,,,for good reason.

Bob

Hey Brad, those are some fine looking examples of the 08/s-10 saws. You sure have them all spiffied up! Now, where is your 041?

Latest posts

Back