whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Rope, I borrowed it from a landscape contractor. I honestly wouldn't trade the Steiner for one, despite the naysayers here, the little tractor suits my needs quite well. If I need big iron I'll bring it in. The stump cutter and dual wheel kit came in yesterday. Grinding out the stump from that one will be it's test.

Here's video of the drop, it went real smooth despite my fears of it bouncing onto the pool house. Overnight rain softened the turf. The tractor did a great job of pulling, with the dually's on it it will do even better ~ eight wheel drive!

I was talking with a vermeer dealer today because I was debating the idea of buying a little stumper, or putting one on a 600tx. He said to forget the stump grinder attachment, that a dedicated stumper is the way to go. If the stumping attachment is the steiner's test, you might be disappointed.

Also, you might find eight wheels to be too much floatation for ideal contact pressure, especially with something that light. What's that weigh? Around a thousand pounds? And while that might be ideal for mowing the moon, I'm thinking pulling trees with it isn't what steiner intended.

Now, I'm not hacking on your new toy, it was a decent video of a decent job, and everything went good. I'm glad. However, if something ever goes wrong, like you cut the hinge too thin just so the steiner can "do it," and you get some slippage with the eight wheel drive, and it goes wrong the tractor and operator are going for a hell ride.

Here's what was left of the tree over the Pool House:

5868462070_83facebbcb_b.jpg

I got a skid steer to help the little Steiner with the heavy lifting:

5867904287_93496b877e_b.jpg

I'll bring whatever I need to do the job in the best way I can.

5868464958_ee2e538039_b.jpg

Two more to bring down over the weekend and I'll wrap this job up. Maybe I'll have a pool party to celebrate gettin'r'done.

My Mini would of moved the wood to the street and load it no problem.

Took down a 50 ft. white pine this morning. Dropped a brand new virgin 200T from about 40 ft. Nothing broke and it still kept running so that was a plus. HO asked if we could drop a dead elm in the yard. Cut the notch and the chain quit cutting. Grabbed another saw finished the notch but it quit cutting. Couldn't see any metal in the notch. Made my back cut with another saw and it quit cutting but we just kept pounding wedges until it went over. There was a 6" column of cement in the middle. I couldn't even see a cavity from the outside. HO kicked in enough to pay for the chains so all is well.
Phil

Cement is the worst. Whenever I hit something I usually try to push on with the dull saw till I'm past it and then grab a sharp one. Can't do that with cement.

Checked out the garden plot, weeded, replanted some carrots and went grocery shopping. Lunch at a Chinese buffet per usual Sat practice, heavy on the vegs which I am trying to eat more of. And then downtown to the public Library to cruise the net and borrow some DVDs for viewing pleasure this weekend.

No Rope, I borrowed it from a landscape contractor. I honestly wouldn't trade the Steiner for one, despite the naysayers here, the little tractor suits my needs quite well. If I need big iron I'll bring it in. The stump cutter and dual wheel kit came in yesterday. Grinding out the stump from that one will be it's test.

Here's video of the drop, it went real smooth despite my fears of it bouncing onto the pool house. Overnight rain softened the turf. The tractor did a great job of pulling, with the dually's on it it will do even better ~ eight wheel drive!

[video=youtube;7DiaLfUdwEU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DiaLfUdwEU[/video]

How come in the other pic the bobcat says Taylor Rental on it? I suppose your buddy the "landscape contractor", bought that machine from Taylor Rental, and was just to lazy to peal off the decals (looks real pro, ya know!) ... sounds reasonable to me...

That lawn tractor REALLY paying off eh? hahaha...

Last edited:
How come in the other pic the bobcat says Taylor Rental on it? I suppose your buddy the "landscape contractor", bought that machine from Taylor Rental, and was just to lazy to peal off the decals (looks real pro, ya know!) ... sounds reasonable to me...

That lawn tractor REALLY paying off eh? hahaha...

Ease up, man!
You are gonna scare him off!
Jeff :hmm3grin2orange:

Well blasted out ten trees this am. We used my seventies model skid and seventies model whisper chipper just blowed chips into woods and spread. It looked professional except the old equipment lol but I had a customer say that thing really eats the brush :)

Well let's just say we knocked it out today....

Filled the chip truck twice, the dump trailer 3 times and the dump truck once.....then we went to lunch....lol

Nice tree AA, whadya get? 750? was that b4 or after the rental?

I would have charged $750 to trim that tree. It was the toughest and biggest of four removals for that customer. With stump grinding $5900. I didn't "rent" the skid loader, but I flipped the guy $150 for letting me use it over the weekend (including Friday) so $50 a day if you want to look at it as a rental.

Had to pull the BobCat out today ...

The slope and soft turf did the skid steer in and I had to pull it out with the Steiner:

[video=youtube;C55SdWT2MAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55SdWT2MAM[/video]

That's the stump cutter on it, I ground out the stump seen in the video and the one from the big drop with it today and it worked great.

Last edited:
Today we were supposed to go do a hickory tree in the morning, and some vista pruning in the afternoon. That all changed.

First thing this morning was rain, but we wound up at a nursery completely out of the way to pick up sod for a client. Dropped my guy off there to install 15 pieces of sod figuring I'd get some stuff done while he was working on that, and then we'll go do the vista pruning... WRONG. Buddy calls me up, he's en route to do some hangers for me with his bucket truck. He let my fly the bucket and he grounded... not something I'm completely comfortable with, but I have to say I kind of like the controls on that Hi-Ranger. Got those down, 1 client stopped by with money and a plate of brownies. Went back to pick up my guy and deal with HO, she wants him to keep going, get the mulch spread and on and on. Fine. Call the vista pruning client, turns out he's not around this weekend anyway. Go grab the RG100, got 7 jobs done, picked up 1 new tree job from a neighbor, and wound up getting the grinder stuck on a hill, had to call a friend up to pull me out with his pick-up. Another client comes running out during the day, big plate of brownies, help yourself to anything in the cooler all summer long. 2 plates of brownies in the truck, I'm not sure how to proceed.

The slope and soft turf did the skid steer in and I had to pull it out with the Steiner:

[video=youtube;C55SdWT2MAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55SdWT2MAM[/video]

That's the stump cutter on it, I ground out the stump seen in the video and the one from the big drop with it today and it worked great.
Hmmm.....looks awful fishy. I can't grasp that the skid was really stuck.

Latest posts

Back