whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Rope, I borrowed it from a landscape contractor. I honestly wouldn't trade the Steiner for one, despite the naysayers here, the little tractor suits my needs quite well. If I need big iron I'll bring it in. The stump cutter and dual wheel kit came in yesterday. Grinding out the stump from that one will be it's test.

Here's video of the drop, it went real smooth despite my fears of it bouncing onto the pool house. Overnight rain softened the turf. The tractor did a great job of pulling, with the dually's on it it will do even better ~ eight wheel drive!

[video=youtube;7DiaLfUdwEU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DiaLfUdwEU[/video]

What happened to that guys shirt? I wanna get something like that Steiner, we have a large garden, bet you could put a beast of a tiller on it.

It's a Bad @ss Lawn Tractor that eats stumps ..

Okay. ;)

I'll even go so far as to admit that that is one fearsome and animalistic looking lawn tractor right there!! :laugh:

That it is! Here's my first try at chewing out a stump with it:

[video=youtube;mYfSGk_ANqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYfSGk_ANqY[/video]

I'm still a bit twitchy with the control of it, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it with some practice.

Went to do a bid yesterday, called the HO to tell her I might be a couple minutes late, like 10. Get there, hidden private drive to this killer house. Little girl comes to door, says "moms in the shower, start your bid" OK! So I look at the Job, kinda po'ed about the fact that I just called her. Fill out the bid, hit the bell, hand it off to the girl and start walking, as I am backing out, her comes mom, to catch me. OMG!!!! About 30, red auburn hair, tan, beeeeeauuutiful. Lacey, white tank top, yoga pants, all wet, top to bottom, no bra, kinda chilly! I couldn't keep my eyes off her, good thing I had on shades. Super sweet. I was choking on my words, which was embarrassing, but man, that guy is luuuuuuuuuucky! I don,t know that I even want the job! Way to much of a distraction! My guys will probably chip the saws and load brush in the tool box

I'm still a bit twitchy with the control of it, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it with some practice.

That machine actually has quite a few attachments; only question about stump grinder is - does that have any wider side to side swing? Seems awful narrow compared to what I am used to in a stump grinder. You should have been able to do that stump in a full swing, vs only maybe half of it. Now I did not watch whole video, so sorry if something changed at end.

The slope and soft turf did the skid steer in and I had to pull it out with the Steiner:

[video=youtube;C55SdWT2MAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C55SdWT2MAM[/video]

That's the stump cutter on it, I ground out the stump seen in the video and the one from the big drop with it today and it worked great.

Hmm..

The machines weighs 1000-1100 lbs.. stump cutter another 250.

First observation - very doubtful that my Bobcat would be stuck at that location.

Second observation - no way that a machine that weighs maybe 1300-1400 lbs is going to pull my Bobcat out if it is stuck to the point that it can not get itself out. Nothing against this particular machine; just stating what I have observed over the years. If the tractor were chained to something and had a winch on it, then it may have a chance.

I could lift that whole machine and grinder off the ground and carry it away with the Bobcat.. how is it going to pull it out if stuck. (in fact if I had my loaded tires on - think the 4 tires weigh more than that machine does) It is awful difficult to tow out something that is stuck that weighs 4 times as much as the towing macine.

If the Bobcat were sitting on firm level ground, it would be very difficult to tow the Bobcat unless the Bobcat operator was operating the power to the wheels as well - the hydraulics alone would be likely too much for it to turn the wheels.

That Bobcat is a S185 - weighing well over 3 tons with fuel onboard (depending on tires maybe quite a bit more).

Looks a little weird to me..

Last edited:
That machine actually has quite a few attachments; only question about stump grinder is - does that have any wider side to side swing? Seems awful narrow compared to what I am used to in a stump grinder. You should have been able to do that stump in a full swing, vs only maybe half of it. Now I did not watch whole video, so sorry if something changed at end.

The swing of the cutting wheel is limited by the lock to lock turn of the steering wheel. A limitation, but it's easy to reposition the tractor for the next whack at it. Seems to have plenty of power though, and I think with more practice (which I'll get today) I'll get the hang of it.

It has a 48" tiller attachment that would make short work of prepping a garden:

[video=youtube;OFgYps1iXGc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFgYps1iXGc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

The swing of the cutting wheel is limited by the lock to lock turn of the steering wheel. A limitation, but it's easy to reposition the tractor for the next whack at it. Seems to have plenty of power though, and I think with more practice (which I'll get today) I'll get the hang of it.

It has a 48" tiller attachment that would make short work of prepping a garden:

[video=youtube;OFgYps1iXGc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFgYps1iXGc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

It actually is a great looking little machine. Not necessarly my choice for tree work, but great if anybody has a large property. However, if it works for you until you git bigger.. than great.

Hmm..

The machines weighs 1000-1100 lbs.. stump cutter another 250.

First observation - very doubtful that my Bobcat would be stuck at that location.

Second observation - no way that a machine that weighs maybe 1300-1400 lbs is going to pull my Bobcat out if it is stuck to the point that it can not get itself out. Nothing against this particular machine; just stating what I have observed over the years. If the tractor were chained to something and had a winch on it, then it may have a chance.

I could lift that whole machine and grinder off the ground and carry it away with the Bobcat.. how is it going to pull it out if stuck. (in fact if I had my loaded tires on - think the 4 tires weigh more than that machine does) It is awful difficult to tow out something that is stuck that weighs 4 times as much as the towing macine.

If the Bobcat were sitting on firm level ground, it would be very difficult to tow the Bobcat unless the Bobcat operator was operating the power to the wheels as well - the hydraulics alone would be likely too much for it to turn the wheels.

That Bobcat is a S185 - weighing well over 3 tons with fuel onboard (depending on tires maybe quite a bit more).

Looks a little weird to me..

Oh stop. I pull my 31k six wheel drive bucket out all the time with my four banger toyota and home depot yellow pull rope... nothings impossible on the internet. You should know that by now!

It actually is a great looking little machine. Not necessarly my choice for tree work, but great if anybody has a large property. However, if it works for you until you git bigger.. than great.

That's exactly their intended purpose. Guys that own a lot of land, do some hobby farming, have big gardens, want to skid out a log or two and they work great for that but are a complete joke for tree work...especially for their price. Case in point. This machine only cost me 7 grand. There is no comparison for the work we do.

Sorry 'bout the cheesey music guys, when I replayed the vid at home I realized Eric and I were tossing out a good amount of swear words and off color jokes during the recording.

YouTube - ‪VIDEO0010.3gp‬‏

Dumped about 20 yard of chips at my new wood/chip dump yesterday. It's at a horse farm about 10 or fifteen minutes from the shop. First I'm gonna make a bed of chips to kill the hay and weeds, then start bringing wood in. No more friggin firewood screwing up the shop yard every year (or giving away good wood, for lack of room). Gonna move every piece out of here. then I'll be able to drive the trucks around the shop in a U and be pointed out for the next day. No more backing everything in. I'm pretty stoked about it. I love playing around with land and equipment!

That's exactly their intended purpose. Guys that own a lot of land, do some hobby farming, have big gardens, want to skid out a log or two and they work great for that but are a complete joke for tree work...especially for their price. Case in point. This machine only cost me 7 grand. There is no comparison for the work we do.

Sorry 'bout the cheesey music guys, when I replayed the vid at home I realized Eric and I were tossing out a good amount of swear words and off color jokes during the recording.

YouTube - ‪VIDEO0010.3gp‬‏

Nice. That is some cheesy music though.

Can you imagine how many set ups and how much gyrating around that steiner thing would have to do to complete that stump properly! Lol. Better keep those pivot points greased up AA, because that thing definitely dont look like it's made for grinding stumps commercially. Best of luck with that one!

That said, I wouldn't mind having it for my lawn...

what style teeth are on that grinder?

BTW: AA is a good guy i know him personally, i worked for him as well, hes a good climber and a business man. He knows his stuff and has the 'toys' to get it done. So what if he bought a machine that you wouldnt? Think about a mower deck and a bagger on that thing, spotless clean up anyone? It might not lift the largest log or drag the most brush but it can do more that you and it dont get tired. If it breaks its not a comp claim. If hes happy with it and his crew is too who cares? Yes a mini wouldve been a better investment but there awfull limited too they only lift so high and reach so far. Had one at my last company and it took some time to load the truck full, and that was a one ton. Plus he is 64 and still doin his thing i know there is a couple here but how many of you really think your gonna be able to climb and run around at 64, dude is an athlete at that age. As for pulling the stuck skid out i belive it would do it ive seen some small stuff tow so big stuff, i thnk the bobcat op couldve walked himself out with the bucket but might not have had the skills for that. Wet ground on a slope i can see the bobcat just spinning tires hook it to the tractor and that gives it enough bite to move out, why is that so hard to believe? O and another thing AA pays his help well and buys lunch....Boo YA

what style teeth are on that grinder?

BTW: AA is a good guy i know him personally, i worked for him as well, hes a good climber and a business man. He knows his stuff and has the 'toys' to get it done. So what if he bought a machine that you wouldnt? Think about a mower deck and a bagger on that thing, spotless clean up anyone? It might not lift the largest log or drag the most brush but it can do more that you and it dont get tired. If it breaks its not a comp claim. If hes happy with it and his crew is too who cares? Yes a mini wouldve been a better investment but there awfull limited too they only lift so high and reach so far. Had one at my last company and it took some time to load the truck full, and that was a one ton. Plus he is 64 and still doin his thing i know there is a couple here but how many of you really think your gonna be able to climb and run around at 64, dude is an athlete at that age. As for pulling the stuck skid out i belive it would do it ive seen some small stuff tow so big stuff, i thnk the bobcat op couldve walked himself out with the bucket but might not have had the skills for that. Wet ground on a slope i can see the bobcat just spinning tires hook it to the tractor and that gives it enough bite to move out, why is that so hard to believe? O and another thing AA pays his help well and buys lunch....Boo YA

Yeah, a bagger and a mowing deck.. sweet!

My old lady would love that rototiller for her garden too.. ;)

Yeah, a bagger and a mowing deck.. sweet!

My old lady would love that rototiller for her garden too.. ;)

hey i bet it would make nice for clean up, even a complementary cut for good measure, AA customers are extremly happy with his work, he is one of the only other tree companys in pittsburgh that got a service award from angies list, my company being the other. The fact that my company has 4chip trucks a bucket, crane 3 chippers 2 grinders and a spray rig, AA got a dump truck chipper and his van, doesnt matter what equipment you got its how you do the job.

hey i bet it would make nice for clean up, even a complementary cut for good measure, AA customers are extremly happy with his work, he is one of the only other tree companys in pittsburgh that got a service award from angies list, my company being the other. The fact that my company has 4chip trucks a bucket, crane 3 chippers 2 grinders and a spray rig, AA got a dump truck chipper and his van, doesnt matter what equipment you got its how you do the job.

Just goes to show you angies list is full of crap too.

Just goes to show you angies list is full of crap too.

Yup, most of the customers that reviewed me on that thing ( all favorable reviews, mind you ) are the busy body, gotta gossip type. You know the ones, always bird dogging your operation because they have nothing better to do. Normally I just have to stand around and distract them so they don't bug the #### out of everybody trying to work. Very easy to sell how awesome your services are if you stand their talking the HO through every aspect of the operation, listening to their stories, pretending to give a #### about their ####ing dog/neighbor/whatever, basically kissing their ass the whole time.

Latest posts

Back