What is the all time best chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Approaching the question from this angle, if I could only have one saw, in my entire life, to use for everything, it would be the pre auto carb MS 362. With patience and a sharp chain it can do everything from felling, limbing, and bucking. It’s light enough to use all day but heavy enough to handle big wood. Wild fire and trail maintenance crews carry them. With a 25” bar it’s the closest thing to an all in one saw for me and has never let me down. The 400 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

POWERHEAD WEIGHT12.3 lbs.
GUIDE BAR LENGTH (Recommended)20 in.
OILOMATIC® CHAIN3/8" RS3
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY11 oz.
ENGINE POWER4.6 bhp
FUEL CAPACITY20.3 oz.
DISPLACEMENT59.0

Yep, I have all kinds of chainsaw makes. I sat down and looked at all the new models deciding which one to buy moving into complete retirement. It was a little pricey, but my pick was the carbureted MS362. I Have A older 460 and a really old 038 mag I've rebuilt both a couple times. They are both getting tired again. The 362 has decent power and will run a 28 in bar fast enough for me to buck out a cord of 20 to 25 inch ash rounds in less than an hour without killing myself. I DO LIKE IT..

Just to stir the pot some more........038M.

Heavy, but powerful, reliable as the sun ,overbuilt and simple to work on as it gets.

O.K. 044 and 372 fans tear it up..........
Now why did you have to go and do that..I was tryin to kill this thread with a poignant truth! And Salute to Ed Penny who had my back..... insert the days work is never done emoje here.

Right, which is all fine and good.

When they run, they run smooth - I agree.
Until you get an issue with these saws.

How to diagnose it, you follow the correct steps to fix, and it still won't run correctly.

Is it the carburator? - You can't buy these non OEM - huge factor/huge price
Is it the solenoid - ok try it, it's not cheap or crazy expensive, but you have to replace it, it might be it.
Is it the wire or harness - Ok these are cheap - but rarely the issue.
Is it the ignition module? - if so, you are out of luck and have to pay 1/3 the price of a new saw (atleast here in EU) - try your luck......

If this doesn't work - you have to go back, did you overtightned the solonoid scews, or is it just the fact you can't reset the ignition module to factory settting or update it via Stihls mtronic program....the list of "maybe it's ..." goes on forever, which is NOT the case on a non Mtronic/Auto tune saw.

I loved my Stihl MS261 Mtronic, it ran so good, untill it didn't - and I was lucky to have Stihl repair it, free of charge (it was an early model 2014, fixed free of charge in 2022 by Stihl).
It came back to me with a 32 page book of diagnostic and repair/replacement on the ignition module and solenoid.

This is where I decided to sell it, and replace it with an MS261 non Mtronic.

I ain't about to give up my rights to selfrepair, not now, not ever.
No matter how nice "auto" carburator setting is.

:popcorn2:
You can make it complicated if you want to, but it's very simple.

Just a follow-up to the original post, this might ruffle some feathers among Stihl fans, but as someone who actually likes Stihl, I’ll happily say, their saws from the last decade don’t even come close to being the best ever made.

Stihl’s hayday’s were the '90s to early 2000s. Before that, they were boat anchors - heavy, cumbersome, boxy and now they’ve become flimsy, lightweight, weak, and overly restricted.

Between the two you had a balance of strength, repairability, time tested, and free from restrictions. This doesn’t just go for saws. It’s the same for everything - blowers, weed eaters, hedge trimmers.

The fs85, hs80, ms660, etc are all from those golden years and are absolutely bomb proof, easy to repair, unlimited, and easy to get parts. This is for the aussi market, I know the 660’s in the USA were gutless.

I don’t doubt husky, echo and other well known brands are any different.

LuDookie,

In the arborist learning curve, I'm sure you would also agree with me on the need for working on one's knowledge of tree species, parasites, predators, worms, hard or soft, identifying, and use all that in the tree care vs tree removal side of business too.
I definitely agree. When I think about it, I was honestly in many ways an overnight arborist. I ran a chainsaw for many years in production firewood before I started doing removals, but I was always honest with myself and others about my capabilities. I admire those that start something and make a living with it but many of these modern overnighters become YouTube or Tiktok influencers in 6 months. That’s where I’m rubbed the wrong way.

I’ve owned a few Autotunes, and I’ll probably own another soon, however, I think the point that you, who defend them in this way, miss, is that “very simple” is very relative . Even if it’s not as simple, doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its merits. But it’s absolutely wrong to believe that it’s as simple. Tuning a carb is obscure to someone who isn’t interested. It’s as easy as opening a car door to me. Writing code is simple for someone who is interested, but if you add electronic and governing elements to something else that works without it, it then becomes by all definitions, more complex, in this case, beyond the interest of many that like to be able to tune a carburetor. Autotune and Mtronic are the future, no doubt. It’s just like fuel injection, turbo charged V6’s replacing naturally aspirated V8’s, EVs, or whatever the example. It’ll get figured out, but not everyone is going to get onboard. My opinion is still that autotune is for professionals who make the money back on a saw on the first job and run them to the end of their durability in 5 or so years’ time, but not for someone wanting to go to the grave with “one” chainsaw.

Sure, if money is not an issue for you.

The work itself on these saws is not more complicated than any non mtronic/auto tune. The price to repair or try/guess is.

To me, that is complicated.

Just a follow-up to the original post, this might ruffle some feathers among Stihl fans, but as someone who actually likes Stihl, I’ll happily say, their saws from the last decade don’t even come close to being the best ever made.

Stihl’s hayday’s were the '90s to early 2000s. Before that, they were boat anchors - heavy, cumbersome, boxy and now they’ve become flimsy, lightweight, weak, and overly restricted.

Between the two you had a balance of strength, repairability, time tested, and free from restrictions. This doesn’t just go for saws. It’s the same for everything - blowers, weed eaters, hedge trimmers.

The fs85, hs80, ms660, etc are all from those golden years and are absolutely bomb proof, easy to repair, unlimited, and easy to get parts. This is for the aussi market, I know the 660’s in the USA were gutless.

I don’t doubt husky, echo and other well known brands are any different.
Stihls saws in the 90-2000's did not compare to Husky which was ageneration ahead at that time.

The work itself on these saws is not more complicated than any non mtronic/auto tune. The price to repair or try/guess is.

Parts are unavailable for all those old boat anchors so their is that.
If your that broke you can't afford to repair a chain saw maybe you should switch to a misery whip.

I’ve owned a few Autotunes, and I’ll probably own another soon, however, I think the point that you, who defend them in this way, miss, is that “very simple” is very relative . Even if it’s not as simple, doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its merits. But it’s absolutely wrong to believe that it’s as simple. Tuning a carb is obscure to someone who isn’t interested. It’s as easy as opening a car door to me. Writing code is simple for someone who is interested, but if you add electronic and governing elements to something else that works without it, it then becomes by all definitions, more complex, in this case, beyond the interest of many that like to be able to tune a carburetor. Autotune and Mtronic are the future, no doubt. It’s just like fuel injection, turbo charged V6’s replacing naturally aspirated V8’s, EVs, or whatever the example. It’ll get figured out, but not everyone is going to get onboard. My opinion is still that autotune is for professionals who make the money back on a saw on the first job and run them to the end of their durability in 5 or so years’ time, but not for someone wanting to go to the grave with “one” chainsaw.
Yea it does take not being lazy and having a few brain cells to learn a little bit about new technology.

A $30.00 selinoid is basically the only thing you would need to keep on hand, even that can be tested pretty easily. Ignition modules fail on carb saws, wires break. Not rocket science. Moat people should be allowed to mix gas, let alone put a screwdriver to the carb needles.

A $30.00 selinoid is basically the only thing you would need to keep on hand, even that can be tested pretty easily. Ignition modules fail on carb saws, wires break. Not rocket science. Moat people should be allowed to mix gas, let alone put a screwdriver to the carb needles.
Not sure if my point got across.

All I am saying is. Mtronic and autotune can be a lot more costly and expensive to repair than regular carb saws.

In my world. Money matters a lot more than having to adjust L and H once in a while.

But people are different as you say. Some can't figure out the basics of a regular carb. Even after years of use with small engines....

Not sure if my point got across.

All I am saying is. Mtronic and autotune can be a lot more costly and expensive to repair than regular carb saws.

In my world. Money matters a lot more than having to adjust L and H once in a while.

But people are different as you say. Some can't figure out the basics of a regular carb. Even after years of use with small engines....
I understood you just fine. $25.00 carb kit from stihl vs $30.00 fuel seliniod from stihl. Biggest cost difference would be the ignition module $129.00 for a 362 vs $154.00 for a 362cm. Not a huge price leap for the convenience it affords, and it's no more or less reliable as a normal carb. Other then that they are the same saws. Really no more or less expensive to work on, defiantly no more difficult to work on either.

I understood you just fine. $25.00 carb kit from stihl vs $30.00 fuel seliniod from stihl. Biggest cost difference would be the ignition module $129.00 for a 362 vs $154.00 for a 362cm. Not a huge price leap for the convenience it affords, and it's no more or less reliable as a normal carb. Other then that they are the same saws. Really no more or less expensive to work on, defiantly no more difficult to work on either.
You still need a carb kit for the mtronic.

And I would never ever buy such an expensive part, id find it used or aftermarket.

Edit. And mind you EU prices are a lot higher than US prices. Often by a lot.

And aftermarket ignition coils etc is not a thing for the mtronics.

Anyhow. We agree to disagree I guess.
No harm in that.

Doesn’t seem to be the case in Australia. At least by popularity. No one has husky here. All the professionals I’ve ever seen use Stihl. Rogue will have to speak for himself, but amongst the loggers he worked with in the 90’s - 2000 cutting some of the hardest species in the world, none of them used husky and the ones that did quickly sold them, himself included.
Certain areas are like that. Doesn't change the fact Stihl sold an inferior product during those years. During those years it was hard to find a Stihl in the area I lived in where lots of Hard Maple, Oak are cut. Stihls were always popular in the western US with their soft wood.
The exception would be the FS-85 trimmer you mentioned. They were stone reliable, and powerful for their cc. Easily bested any of Huskys trimmers at the time.

Back