What is the all time best chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You still need a carb kit for the mtronic.

And I would never ever buy such an expensive part, id find it used or aftermarket.

Edit. And mind you EU prices are a lot higher than US prices. Often by a lot.

And aftermarket ignition coils etc is not a thing for the mtronics.

Anyhow. We agree to disagree I guess.
No harm in that.
Sounds like your just a cheap bastard. The cost difference is trivial.

Certain areas are like that. Doesn't change the fact Stihl sold an inferior product during those years.
The exception woukd be the FS-85 trimmer you mentioned. They were stone reliable, and powerful for their cc. Easily bested any of Huskys trimmers at the time.
I disagree, I’d happily place a Husqvarna 225r alongside the Stihl FS85, both as capable as each other. I’d take either brand from 90’s and 2000’s over anything modern. I like stihl, but I’m not a loyalist if something feels better in my hands

Doesn’t seem to be the case in Australia. At least by popularity. No one has husky here. All the professionals I’ve ever seen use Stihl. Rogue will have to speak for himself, but amongst the loggers he worked with in the 90’s - 2000 cutting some of the hardest species in the world, none of them used husky and the ones that did quickly sold them, himself included.
I'm not certian is I've told this story or not. Many years ago now, I was down in West Virginia working at a pretty large logging outfit. (On their equipment) they had the biggest mixed bag of husqy and stihl id ever seen, all ~70+ cc saws. I asked the owners son before I left why the bought what they bought, and he said it boiled down to a few factors for them. Dealer support, longevity/issues, and what their guys preferred to run. Right, wrong, or indifferent I've found over the years that's largely what dictates what brand people buy. What's avaliable to them. They switched from stihl to husqy because their local dealer sold out and the new owner couldn't keep their saws in repair. The husqy dealer could and did.

I disagree, I’d happily place a Husqvarna 225r alongside the Stihl FS85, both as capable as each other. I’d take either brand from 90’s and 2000’s over anything modern
Well the modern Redmax's are way better than those old trimmers in every way. My last 85 was given to a coworker last year.
@Vintage Engine Repairs can you get Redmax in Australia?

I'm not certian is I've told this story or not. Many years ago now, I was down in West Virginia working at a pretty large logging outfit. (On their equipment) they had the biggest mixed bag of husqy and stihl id ever seen, all ~70+ cc saws. I asked the owners son before I left why the bought what they bought, and he said it boiled down to a few factors for them. Dealer support, longevity/issues, and what their guys preferred to run. Right, wrong, or indifferent I've found over the years that's largely what dictates what brand people buy. What's avaliable to them. They switched from stihl to husqy because their local dealer sold out and the new owner couldn't keep their saws in repair. The husqy dealer could and did.
I think you’re spot on. Dealer support is the key

I think you’re spot on for a large proportion, dealer support is the determining factor.
Dealer networks matter. Stihl has always had a more extensive dealer network. However in areas of the upper midwest, the NE and parts of Canada Husky has always.ruled the roost.
The biggest timber currently being logged in NA comes from BC and largely by Husky saws.

And I would never ever buy such an expensive part, id find it used or aftermarket.

No harm in that.
if given the choice, and or whomever equipment I'm working on is ok with it, I'll usually go the used route as well. But if you want to compare actual costs of 2 similar models with different features, I find it's best to see what the oe wants for their parts. In this case, it's close enough not to matter.
from past issues with aftermarket coils I refuse to use them in handheld o.p.e.
Otherwise, yes we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Well the modern Redmax's are way better than those old trimmers in every way. My last 85 was given to a coworker last year.
@bwalker Unfortunately I don’t see redmax here in my part of Australia. I’ve worked on a few echos / Shindaiwa, but parts are so hard to get it’s just not something I recommend to customers and thus don’t see. Same with Husky, I just don’t come across much of their stuff. A few smaller saws, I love their weed eaters from the 90’s / 2000’s
Dealer networks matter. Stihl has always had a more extensive dealer network. However in areas of the upper midwest, the NE and parts of Canada Husky has always.ruled the roost.
The biggest timber currently being logged in NA comes from BC and largely by Husky saws.
Yeah Husky seems to be the brand to get in the USA.

Edit: Echo seems to be big in the USA too? Lots of friends use and recommend them.

@Vintage Engine Repairs can you get Redmax in Australia?
Do you regret giving the 85 away? No doubt you can easily get another I guess. They’re everywhere for good reason!

No harm in that.
I use to think those parts were expensive until I searched up an injector for the 500i. Those bits are pocket change in comparison lol last I looked a injector was circa $600 Aud.

@bwalker Unfortunately I don’t see redmax here in my part of Australia. I’ve worked on a few echos / Shindaiwa, but parts are so hard to get it’s just not something I recommend to customers and thus don’t see. Same with Husky, I just don’t come across much of their stuff. A few smaller saws, I love their weed eaters from the 90’s / 2000’s

Yeah Husky seems to be the brand to get in the USA.

Edit: Echo seems to be big in the USA too? Lots of friends use and recommend them.
Despite what you see here...Echo sells few saws in the US.
Husky is popular within the geographic areas I mentioned.

Just to stir the pot some more........038M.

Heavy, but powerful, reliable as the sun ,overbuilt and simple to work on as it gets.

O.K. 044 and 372 fans tear it up..........

Heavy, but powerful, reliable as the sun ,overbuilt and simple to work on as it gets

Heavy, but powerful, reliable as the sun ,overbuilt and simple to work on as it gets.

O.K. 044 and 372 fans tear it up..........
You will get arguments, but not from me. I bought two new saws in or around 81, 028wb and 038mag still got them and both rebuilt several times. Never once let me down. Bought a new 362 a few months ago, I know it will still be going when I'm not.

Despite what you see here...Echo sells few saws in the US.
Husky is popular within the geographic areas I mentioned.
Having lived in Texas, Colorado, and Montana, Echo is definitely more of a southern thing. From here to Florida 80 to 90% of the trimmers are Echo, and every other guy that needed a chainsaw one day has a 590 or a cs400. We don’t heat much with wood, but tons of it is cut and sold for bbq, and while this isn’t ”chainsaw country”, if you are a cutter, it’s hard to get by with an average chainsaw. The wood here is far more difficult and dense than anything in the Midwest. Colorado was a mix of Stihl and Husqy, and Montana had some of the coolest saw shops imaginable, mostly Husqvarna.

Having lived in Texas, Colorado, and Montana, Echo is definitely more of a southern thing. From here to Florida 80 to 90% of the trimmers are Echo, and every other guy that needed a chainsaw one day has a 590 or a cs400. We don’t heat much with wood, but tons of it is cut and sold for bbq, and while this isn’t ”chainsaw country”, if you are a cutter, it’s hard to get by with an average chainsaw. The wood here is far more difficult and dense than anything in the Midwest. Colorado was a mix of Stihl and Husqy, and Montana had some of the coolest saw shops imaginable, mostly Husqvarna.
As you go south hardwoods typically have less density.
Which montana saw shops you talking about.

No I do not. It was pretty worn out and the new Redmaxs I have are much better machines with way better fuel economy.
Talking of worn out, this one from a commercial customer has seen a lot of use. He agreed on a rebuild and it’s back running problem free. What modern redmax do you have? I’ll look it up.

Funnily enough, here are two machines I work on (or did before he had a car wreck with them in the Ute tray, Shindaiwa and echo lol

I told him to bin the Shindaiwa, not worth the repair. But I fixed up his echo blower and he’s back using it again.
IMG_0184.jpegIMG_0185.jpegIMG_0186.jpeg

Talking of worn out, this one from a commercial customer has seen a lot of use. He agreed on a rebuild and it’s back running problem free. What modern redmax do you have? I’ll look it up.

Funnily enough, here are two machines I work on (or did before he had a car wreck with them in the Ute tray, Shindaiwa and echo lol

I told him to bin the Shindaiwa, not worth the repair. But I fixed up his echo blower and he’s back using it again.
View attachment 1198966View attachment 1198967View attachment 1198968
I have a BCZ3060TS and a BCZ260 Kombi.
The 3060 is a beast!
My teen son has a lawn care business and runs the snot out of them. Occasionally he drags me out too.

I have a BCZ3060TS and a BCZ260 Kombi.
The 3060 is a beast!
My teen son has a lawn care business and runs the snot out of them. Occasionally he drags me out too.
I bet you enjoy it when he does drag you out, keeps you young!

Wow, Redmax - what an incredible company. Very interesting history, seems they changed names to Zenoah in the 70’s m and I have seen some of those machines here! Old ofcourse but clearly very well built. I see they merge to Husky in 07 too. I wonder if Zenoah the RC machines are part of the same company as the OPE? @sean donato may know?

In case anyone else is interested in their history, here’s a great breakdown, everything from aeroplane engines and snowmobiles through to ope.

https://www.redmax.com/us/about-redmax/

I bet you enjoy it when he does drag you out, keeps you young!

Very interesting history, seems they changed names to Zenoah in the 70’s m and I have seen some of those machines here! Old ofcourse but clearly very well built. I see they merge to Husky in 07 too. I wonder if Zenoah the RC machines are part of the same company as the OPE? @sean donato may know?

In case anyone else is interested in their history, here’s a great breakdown:

https://www.redmax.com/us/about-redmax/

Yes, Husqvarna Zenoah Ltd.
https://www.zenoah.com/jp/hobby-engines/
https://fujiwaraltd.com/

Latest posts

Back