What is the all time best chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
044 is a pretty good unit. 372xp in same vein. Pretty much pros and cons of various good models of other saws have been presented above. New,vs used, wear vs parts availability. Power to weight..

And as you mentioned, you being in Europe.
372xp oe is pretty hard to beat for an all rounder. Especially one built in 2022.

It looked just like a bearing was banging around in there, but everything was great on the bottom. I'll see if I have a picture of a 372 I bought that was this way.

Maybe ate something through intake?

I've seen lower rod bearing marks , they look like they either hit on end (round dimple) or flat (rod shaped), the size of the bearings. And the lower bearing trashed. Same marks in top of head.

Never seen lower end bearing cage go or what those marks would look like?

IMO it's hard to beat a muffler modded Echo 590 for a budget 1 saw plan. Mine is nearly 3 years old, been beat to hell and back, and it still runs flawlessly, I've never had to do anything to it besides basic maintenance. Great power on a 20" bar in my conditions (mostly mixed Texas hardwoods, there's some pine in there too) and a 24" is no problem if you're not in a rush, bulletproof design, never fails to run from below 0° to 110°.

I've ran a friends 400C and it's an objectively superior saw, but it's over $1100 after tax in my area vs under $500 for a 590. If money isn't a problem, you can't beat the 400C. Crazy powerful for the weight, super smooth in the hands, light, I can't complain a bit. I don't know why it's already being replaced after only a few years, seems like a bad move for Stihl.

In my mind in order for something to be the best it would have to be perfect, and nothing is perfect. Husky 266 isn’t the best but it’s a darn good all around saw and will handle the majority of cutting tasks most people would encounter. I will say I haven’t come across an easier saw to work on and that’s worth a lot in my book. I’ll take simplicity over complexity when it comes to tools I use to do work.

IMO it's hard to beat a muffler modded Echo 590 for a budget 1 saw plan. Mine is nearly 3 years old, been beat to hell and back, and it still runs flawlessly, I've never had to do anything to it besides basic maintenance. Great power on a 20" bar in my conditions (mostly mixed Texas hardwoods, there's some pine in there too) and a 24" is no problem if you're not in a rush, bulletproof design, never fails to run from below 0° to 110°.

I've ran a friends 400C and it's an objectively superior saw, but it's over $1100 after tax in my area vs under $500 for a 590. If money isn't a problem, you can't beat the 400C. Crazy powerful for the weight, super smooth in the hands, light, I can't complain a bit. I don't know why it's already being replaced after only a few years, seems like a bad move for Stihl.
I believe the question was what's best, not what's best for the cheap bastard crew. About the only thing the Echo has going for it is it's cheap price.

Maybe ate something through intake?

I've seen lower rod bearing marks , they look like they either hit on end (round dimple) or flat (rod shaped), the size of the bearings. And the lower bearing trashed. Same marks in top of head.

Never seen lower end bearing cage go or what those marks would look like?
No marks on the cylinder.

I believe the intent of the OP was to discern that, if you could only buy one saw, with budget as a concern, with the need to cover a wide range of tasks, felling, bucking, limbing, etc, what saw would you own. In other words, what would be a good “single saw” model to help him get into the business. I also think the OP has now made a purchase but is having issues with it.

There is a new one for sale near me and I want it soo bad...but I don't need it, right now, anyway.

Back